PDA

View Full Version : To fix or not to fix??

chillin out
27-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi guys, If I wanted to repair a gas appliance (electrically) do I have to be corgi?

I know not to open any gas pipes or valves but working on the electrical side shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Thanks.

Chillin:):)

Grizzly
28-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi guys, If I wanted to repair a gas appliance (electrically) do I have to be corgi?

I know not to open any gas pipes or valves but working on the electrical side shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Thanks.

If you are only working on the electrical circuit I can't see how anyone can apply Gas regs / Corgi to what you propose to do.
Incidentally although many will not admit it and unless the regs have changed recently. Corgi / Gas regs do not apply to someone carrying out work on their own equipment. They work on the premise that you won't mess about with your or your families safety.
Thats all well and good until it either goes wrong or the equipment or property containing the equipment is sold or passed on!
SO DO THE DONKEY WORK YOURSELF BUT FIRST ENSURE YOU HAVE A WILLING CORGI PLUMBER TO CHECK IT OUT AFTERWORDS.
Grizzly

Brian_UK
28-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Ask yourself this question, well actually two.

1. If it was a fridge (!) and you didn't what you were doing would you expect others to tell you how to fix it? Now where have we heard that one before ;)

2. If when you repair/fix/change the electrical thingy with that gas appliance will you be sure that it is now working correctly?

Remember that the LAST person to work on that appliance is the one responsible for it being correct and working correctly.

The Viking
28-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Hmmm,

Most of a (modern) boiler's safety features are electrical items.....

As previously said. Corgi only comes in to it if you actually are getting paid for the job, are doing it commercially.

But, if something goes wrong, "go to jail without passing GO"...

If you want, I can come up and have a look at it for you (as long as you pay the travel costs)

chillin out
28-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the replies, it is a commercial job.
Boilers and gas heated AHUs.

Karl Hofmann
28-02-2008, 12:53 AM
If it is an electrical issue that you are working on, you do not have to break in to the gas supply, combustion chamber or flue then yes it is acceptable to do the job yourself.. Do however, bear in mind that some circuit boards require that the gas pressures be checked and or adjusted when they are fitted and that would require breaking in to the gas supply.... Too high or too low a burner pressure can be an issue.

It is always worth having a service once a year, not for reliability but for safety.. I pick up on screws through pipes and even pipes that have been worn through through being too close to the floor boards after the previous owner has done his own gas work... Yip, I'm in the Kennel Club

The Viking
28-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Then definitely get a gas guy in to "supervise" you.

BTW, exactly what are you proposing to do?

Most gas fired AHUs I worked on have had separate burner controls and you would therefore be able to work on the AHU's "general" controls without gas qualification...

eggs
28-02-2008, 12:55 AM
This is an interesting question. I have previously repaired electrical faults on boilers that form the heating part of boiler in basement, chiller on roof set up's.
It never even crossed my mind that it may be illegal!!!

i look forward to more opinions:confused:

eggs

Brian_UK
28-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Yes, it's one of those pain-in-arse type situations nowadays isn't it?

About 16 years ago I had to get CORGI'd so that we could continue working on gas fired chillers.

Don't forget Chillin, if you are ever in doubt you can always call CORGI for an answer; not quite ghostbusters but still.....

The Viking
28-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Don't forget Chillin, if you are ever in doubt you can always call CORGI for an answer

Now that's makes me smile:D

(Or were you serious?)

norfolkboy
28-02-2008, 01:17 AM
hi chillin it sounds as if it might be worth becoming registered with corgi, although it costs me about £1000 a year to maintain registration.
I am not sure where the boundries are when working on roof top units that are gas heated as some of the controlls are common to both sides of the unit.
It appears there are other corgi registered engineers on here, i have been of the opion for a while that there should be a seperate element representing gas fired ac units. any others agree.

Brian_UK
28-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Now that's makes me smile:D

(Or were you serious?)
We have to have a laugh now and again :D

chillin out
28-02-2008, 01:40 AM
If it is an electrical issue that you are working on, you do not have to break in to the gas supply, combustion chamber or flue then yes it is acceptable to do the job yourself.. Do however, bear in mind that some circuit boards require that the gas pressures be checked and or adjusted when they are fitted and that would require breaking in to the gas supply.... Too high or too low a burner pressure can be an issue.
This is an interesting point.

I/we could get round this problem by always fitting like for like. If there was any deviation then get a Corgi.

The Viking
28-02-2008, 01:50 AM
This is an interesting point.

I/we could get round this problem by always fitting like for like. If there was any deviation then get a Corgi.

Hrrm,

Legally you would still need a Corgi registered guy/gal to verify that the new part is operating satisfactory.

(I do assume that we are talking burner control here then)

Even a new part might be faulty, and if you were the last person working on the burner or associated controls, you would be liable.

The way the laws and society works nowadays I would say:
- If you are looking at the power supply to the heater, and this includes control supply from main AHU controls or BMS type controls to burner controls. Then by all means go ahead and carry out the works.
- If you are looking at the actual burner controls themselves, assuming you not are Corgi registered. Then it's really not worth the risk.

Joining the Queen are we?

chillin out
28-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I think a phone call to somebody might be in order.
Any idea who I should call?

Gwyn
28-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Just a thought what if …you are corgi reg. etc. can you work on the electrical side of the equipment would you have to be IEE reg.?
Just a thought….:)

Josip
29-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi, Chillin out :)

Thanks.

Is this also corgi job:confused: working on electrical side is much easier;) definitely...

Best regards, Josip :)

The Viking
29-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I think a phone call to somebody might be in order.
Any idea who I should call?

If you want, I can come up and have a look at it for you (as long as you pay the travel costs)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1