PDA

View Full Version : Freezer compressor running 20 Hours/day

rickcw
27-02-2008, 03:14 PM
The freezer compressor on my much-loved, 18 year-old, Zanussi "Frostfree" DF102/3T, is now running for about 20 hours per day.

I want to keep this Fridge/Freezer going for ever because it has a good "Chiller" (Zero to +0.5°C.) compartment for fresh meat / fish, and has the fridge above, and the freezer below.

Should I:

1. Get the freezer re-gassed
2. (and a new Filter-drier)?
3. Get the Freezer compressor replaced?

The Freezer Stat is set to number 2.
Freezer temp = -18. OK
The circulating fan is running OK.
The "Fast-Freeze" switch is off.

I manually defrosted (de-glaciered) the freezer a month ago. I do this about once a year.

Please could you also recommend a good local (South-East England, UK) firm / engineer to do this.

Thank you,
Yours ever,
RickCW

nike123
27-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Did you cleaned condenser from dust (black grille behind) and insured that sufficient amount of fresh air is available.
Also does door seal is air tight and elastic.
Domestic freezers (as I recollect) should work about 18 hours a day in normal conditions.

richardb14
27-02-2008, 08:17 PM
get a savaplug for it :)

drew71
01-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Excuse my Ignorance...

Whats a sava plug ?

richardb14
01-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Excuse my Ignorance...

Whats a sava plug ?

click me (http://www.windtrap.co.uk/Electricity_Monitors/SavaPlug.htm)

:)

nike123
01-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Excuse my Ignorance...

Whats a sava plug ?

It makes your pocket easier for nothing in return!:D

drew71
03-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks Guys

I have seen a similar item, under a diffrent brand name.They are probably not very popular here in Australia as it is illegal for the average joe to replace thier own 3 pin plugs (in New South Wales at least), so a service call plus cost of the unit, it would take 20 years to pay for itself.

Cheers

Drew

nike123
03-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Thanks Guys

I have seen a similar item, under a diffrent brand name.They are probably not very popular here in Australia as it is illegal for the average joe to replace thier own 3 pin plugs (in New South Wales at least), so a service call plus cost of the unit, it would take 20 years to pay for itself.

Cheers

Drew

Oh, my good!
In ten years from now, you are not to be allowed to feed yourself because you could choke yourself with food, if you not fed from licensed person.:D:D

drew71
03-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Oh, my good!
In ten years from now, you are not to be allowed to feed yourself because you could choke yourself with food, if you not fed from licensed person.:D:D

So true nike123 !

Unfortunatly these laws come into place to protect the 1% of the population with no common sense.
I have seen a T shirt that offered a soloution though, it said

"I'm not saying we should kill stupid people, just take the warning lablels off everything and let nature take its course"

Cheers
Drew

nike123
03-03-2008, 02:35 AM
So true nike123 !

Unfortunatly these laws come into place to protect the 1% of the population with no common sense.

Cheers
Drew

Nope, they come into place in order to someone in government can got his share of profit created of licensing. Protection of someone is last thing in mind (and first thing on mouth) of person/s who proposed and voted for that law.:mad::mad:

P.S. This is politics, and that is not allowed here, therefore if you wish to reply send me PM.:eek:

The Claw
08-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks Guys

Cheers

Drew
When I got my electrician's license in NSW it was legal for anyone to work on an electrical appliance. It is illegal to work on FIXED WIRING.

This Sava Plug looks like a fraud to me. How does it save electricity?

Chunk
09-03-2008, 12:41 AM
These are the regs as of 2005 in the uk.

http://www.buildingservicesguide.com/Articles/Article_4_15.asp

you can do what you want in your own home as long as you dont sell the house or cause someones untimely death when they are visiting.;)

Chunk
09-03-2008, 12:50 AM
A savaplug when an appliance is plugged into it will match that appliances requirements thus stopping it from using too much electricity.

For an example lets say a fridge which runs at 4 amps when the compressor kicks in will draw 6 amps therefore momentarilly using more power.the savaplug stops this and saves you 2 pence a year in electricity bills.

wonderfull and at 25 pounds well worth saving 4 pound a year if you have every household appliance plugged into an extension lead and then plugged into it.