PDA

View Full Version : Cased Manifold Gauges

HVACGod
22-02-2008, 06:05 PM
One of the obvious benefits of the internet is the ability to see, understand and compare the differences that we share. Sometimes they seem to be subtle differences and sometimes there seems to be a really large contrast.

One of those differences that I've made particular note of for no other reason than simple curiosity is the propensity that our European counterparts have for the preference of transporting their manifold gauges in a case.

I understand the concept from the aspect of protection of the instrument - but is that the primary motivating drive behind this preference, or is there something more that I am missing? I remember the first Testo 523 that I purchased, when it arrived in the case, I thought damn! Where am I going to store this thing at. The first thing I did was set the rig up and put it's case in my garage. I haven't had it out since.

I don't keep any of my gauge sets in a case, irrespective of whether they are shipped in a case or not shipped in a case. I'm not knocking the preference for the case just trying to understand the motivation behind the preference. Are all gauge sets in European countries sold in this fashion? Or is it only the digital sets? And is it not bothersome and time consuming to partially disassemble after each use then reassemble before each use throughout the course of the day?

Just been curious about this since I found out about this preference - appreciate your responses.

p_p
22-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi HVACgod

I have allways kept my manifold sets hung in the van but i have allways purchased Yellow Jacket protective boots for the clocks, however I am just about to purchase a digital manifold set which will allways be kept in the case, just to protect my investment and the sensitivity of the manifold.

Regards

PP

superswill
22-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi HVACgod

I have allways kept my manifold sets hung in the van but i have allways purchased Yellow Jacket protective boots for the clocks, however I am just about to purchase a digital manifold set which will allways be kept in the case, just to protect my investment and the sensitivity of the manifold.

Regards

PP

what digital set have you gone for paul?,out of intrest

there has been a thread on them

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11399&highlight=digital

Brian_UK
22-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Just been curious about this since I found out about this preference - appreciate your responses.
I think that one of the reasons may be that here, UK, a lot of our firms reduce their spending on vans by only paying the minimum possible.

A van may therefore be supplied with the inside paneled out but without shelving, racking or other means of storing tools and equipment.

We, as drivers, may spend a small amount of our own money to improve things a little but will not fund the company in this manner.

To protect our tools we therefore try and keep them within cases of some sort.

It is also easier sometimes to add small tools etc to the gauge case to be carried to site. Parking is often a problem here in the towns and cities and having to drag lots of loose items through the town centres is a real pain.

Obviously I am being rather general in this comment and I hope not to offend any business owners that do look after their staff in a better fashion.

p_p
22-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi Paul

I,ve gone for the Refco digimon 3, heard alot of mixed reports so basically gone for these on price.
I didn,t want to spend a kings ransom to be dissapointed.
Will let you know how I get on.

Regards

PP