PDA

View Full Version : Electrolux TR1241 Fault

peterbarns
20-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I've noticed that the red temperature indicator light in the freezer compartment of my Electrolux TR1241 fridge freezer has gone out. The freezer isn't defrosting. Is this a serious fault or can I carry on using the freezer as normal?

Peter

peterbarns
20-02-2008, 11:10 PM
The light has come back on now after about 1 1/2 hours. Could it be an intermittant fault or is it OK?

Peter

Electrocoolman
21-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Hello Peter,
This is an 'Oldie' from the late 70's....I've got one and (dare I say) its still going strong.
Its a twin (danfoss) compressor Fridge Freezer - each half is independant of the other.
The RED light in the freezer is indicative of a higher than normal temperature (-14C from memory) and is a function of the thermostat.
Have you actually measured the temperature that the freezer is running at? It should be -18C.

What is the door seal condition like? Does it shut properly? Is the freezer all iced up....a good defrost will allow you to see what is actually happening.

To see if the thermostat is 'playing up' use the fast freeze switch....but without a thermometer you cannot tell what the temperature is.

hope this helps. Adrian.

peterbarns
17-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Hello Peter,
This is an 'Oldie' from the late 70's....I've got one and (dare I say) its still going strong.
Its a twin (danfoss) compressor Fridge Freezer - each half is independant of the other.
The RED light in the freezer is indicative of a higher than normal temperature (-14C from memory) and is a function of the thermostat.
Have you actually measured the temperature that the freezer is running at? It should be -18C.

What is the door seal condition like? Does it shut properly? Is the freezer all iced up....a good defrost will allow you to see what is actually happening.

To see if the thermostat is 'playing up' use the fast freeze switch....but without a thermometer you cannot tell what the temperature is.

hope this helps. Adrian.

Defrosted the freezer last week, it was very heavily iced up. When I switched it back on the red light didn't flash, but it came on and stayed steady after a few hours. Temperature is about -22degC. The compressor is on almost continuously, so the thermostat may be faulty. The door seal is in quite good condition considering the age of the fridge freezer.

Peter

peterbarns
16-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Defrosted the freezer last week, it was very heavily iced up. When I switched it back on the red light didn't flash, but it came on and stayed steady after a few hours. Temperature is about -22degC. The compressor is on almost continuously, so the thermostat may be faulty. The door seal is in quite good condition considering the age of the fridge freezer.

Peter

The red light went out and stayed out for about 3 weeks. It's back on now.

How do I use Rapid Freeze to check the thermostat?

philfridge
16-04-2008, 10:05 PM
If the red warning light is up , your freezer is not working to the correct temperature. Normally on a cabinet of this age the compressor will be worn out .The thermostat is not faulty if the compressor is running continuously. If the compressor dosent run then the thermostat may be at fault.

Electrocoolman
17-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi Peter,

The Fastfreeze switch in effect shorts out the thermostat, causing the compressor to run continuously. The temperature will fall and should eventually be in the region of -28c. The red light should be extinguished at this temperature.

In fact if the cabinet is at -22c and the red light is on then it certainly looks like the thermostat is at fault (on the signal contact).

After you defrosted the freezer and turned it back on, did you happen to notice after a few hours the length of the 'frost line' ? (I.e. was all the tubing that runs round the shelves frosty) This gives an indication of the gas charge and if its lost any.

Regards, Adrian.

Electrocoolman
19-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Peter,

Ive had a thought further to this red light....
From memory......
The light IS meant to be ON under normal conditions. It acts as a power on indicator. If the temperature rises in the freezer, then the light is designed to FLASH to indicate a fault.

I'll try and find my original operating booklet for the unit......now where did I put it !!

peterbarns
21-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi Peter,

The Fastfreeze switch in effect shorts out the thermostat, causing the compressor to run continuously. The temperature will fall and should eventually be in the region of -28c. The red light should be extinguished at this temperature.

In fact if the cabinet is at -22c and the red light is on then it certainly looks like the thermostat is at fault (on the signal contact).

After you defrosted the freezer and turned it back on, did you happen to notice after a few hours the length of the 'frost line' ? (I.e. was all the tubing that runs round the shelves frosty) This gives an indication of the gas charge and if its lost any.

Regards, Adrian.

Well, I don't remember seing frost on the pipes, but ice is forming on them. I checked the temperature and it's 20 deg C. The main thing is the freezer is working and not defrosting. I don't know if it's worth getting repaired or even if parts are still available.

Peter

peterbarns
21-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Peter,

Ive had a thought further to this red light....
From memory......
The light IS meant to be ON under normal conditions. It acts as a power on indicator. If the temperature rises in the freezer, then the light is designed to FLASH to indicate a fault.

I'll try and find my original operating booklet for the unit......now where did I put it !!

According to the booklet, the red light should start flashing if the temperature rises unduly. It should also start flashing when you switch the freezer on after defrosting. On my freezer, the red light doesn't come on at all when you switch it back on after a defrost. It does, however, come on eventually.

Peter

Electrocoolman
21-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Peter,

If your freezer temp is good then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The red indicator has probably died (or very nearly) due to old age. I doubt if these are available any more.

Adrian.

peterbarns
23-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your help Adrian. :)

Peter

peterbarns
24-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Just thought I'd login and let you know that this fridge freezer is still going strong. The fridge section is sometimes just over the 'safe' temperature but I think if I just turn it up a bit it'll probably be OK. :)

Electrocoolman
26-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Peter,
Glad to hear that its still running....mine is still going strong too @ 33 years. (touchwood!)