PDA

View Full Version : vrv oil problem

norfolkboy
17-02-2008, 11:42 PM
i have a 3 pipe vrv system that i have replaced the compressor on a week ago, i fitted liquid and suction driers as this is the second compressor to be fitted. ( last one lasted 12 months) it appears that oil return is very slow and on draining the oil from the original compressor it only had approx 1/2 l of oil very black looked like its out of an old diesel engine. (original charge 2.5l) The unit suffered a major leak (tripped high discharge temp) on friday from a prevously reparied joint (by others).
My question is if i remove the oil seerator and drain what i suspect to be a lot of oil can i replace the oil filter that is installed to protect the capilery with an acid absorbing liquid line drier. and then replenish with new oil.
As this unit is on R22 they are already looking into replacing the existing plant over the next couple of years.
many thanks.

Brian_UK
18-02-2008, 12:14 AM
My question is if i remove the oil separator and drain what i suspect to be a lot of oil can i replace the oil filter that is installed to protect the capillary with an acid absorbing liquid line drier. and then replenish with new oil.
As this unit is on R22 they are already looking into replacing the existing plant over the next couple of years.
many thanks.
Depending on the make I thought that the oil separator should have been drained anyway when changing out a compressor.

Do you know the details of the existing oil filter for comparison ?

norfolkboy
18-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks Brian,
as the seperator has to be removed to drain it and i assumed as it is only capilery drain i assumed it would not be a problem, how ever in hindsight etc.
it a mitsubishi heavy FDC2501 HKXRE2 and i asked on friday and its a special to mitsi and nothing is known about it.
When i ran the new compressor up the oil line was warm right up to the suction pipe.
many thanks.

norfolkboy
18-02-2008, 01:12 AM
hi Jase.
this is a mitsi heavy unit, it has only 1 compressor, this is my first job on Mitsi heavy vrvs. so i only know it by the FDC no.
as they are looking to change the r22 kit i would like to keep it running for a while untill they sort out budgets etc. may be a while knowing accountants.
thanks.