PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Newzealand

Chill doctor
17-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Guys

I'm looking at moving to newzealand, Are there any engineers who have been or are in this part of the world, Im looking at the wellington area in the north island as I hear this is a nice place in the world.

Any input would be nice, what are the hours the engineers work, what is the duty call out like, how much money can you earn in air conditioning. Or refrigeration for that matter.

Many thanks for any input.

Chilldoctor

The MG Pony
19-02-2008, 03:33 AM
you'll have to retake some certs for their regs and good luck and get in line! It is a royal pain in the rear!!

Toosh
19-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Hi Chill< I live in NZ who ever told you Wellington was nice is check the weather out it rains nearly all the time down there and very windy. Auckland is the place where most of the work is but expensive for housing. As far as the trade goes ive been out it since 1990 so cant fill you in on that front. I now own a Pub

Regards Norm

Tesla
19-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi Chill Doctor
I'm from Wgtn and my mother always said if you aint got nothing nice to say dont say anything. But I'll say it again. The weather is bad bad bad, pay is minimal - don't expect much over NZ$30/Hr. Usually 40Hrs/week or more, call out 3Hrs at 1.5 or more. This country was screwed by a law called the contracts act for over a decade which removed almost all working conditions such as overtime pay. The labour govt abollished this law a few years ago but it still lingures. Aircon and refrig I worked for many of them and have none I could recommend. Perhaps Auckland would be worth considering? I work in Syd now and don't regrette leaving. Good luck

The MG Pony
19-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Only reason its atractive to me is A the weather is same as it is for bc canada, 2 pay wouldn't be that increadible here any way, 3 I all ready got a place to live :)