PDA

View Full Version : Survey

Gwyn
15-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Just wanted to start a new thread and find out actually how many apprentices there are out there in the uk, a little survey, What is going to happen to the industry when all us older guys pass on! (or poss. Get to retire )

I have enjoyed being an engineer, and having now moved on to the management side its like starting again on the learning curve, but I am willing to give it my best shot, as long as my fellow engineers are willing to work with me then I am sure we can go a long way together.
It is amazing me how hard it is to find an engineer that is any good I have seen a few over the last year or so only to find they can talk a good job but when put under any sort of pressure like giving them a call to do on there own! They just walk away, showing that they know nothing at all of the trade. It can be a very rewarding job, and not just for the money!
(It takes time and effort to get what you want out of this world and the harder you work the more you can get out. Honest.)
......Always looking for good! ;) engineers...

richardb14
18-02-2008, 08:10 PM
there's a huge shortage up here of good engineers, the trouble with apprentices is you spend a lot of time and effort in them and they leave just after their time is out so their is no real payback, the other issue is the government force you to pay them a lot of money, this has pitfalls:

1, there is a lack of desire to learn
2, there is a lack of desire to do overtime
3, companies just can't afford to pay someone who is basically learning.

that is why you hear of more and more companies looking for older mature people to come into the trade, they pick it up a lot quicker and have a desire to learn it:

1, they had a bad job before and know this is a good career
2, they have family to support
3, they have mortgages to pay etc

there is more willingness from someone say 25 years old than someone just out of school.

that's why this trade has a huge skills shortage - more and more people coming in with next to no knowledge just to fill the gap.

chillin out
18-02-2008, 09:09 PM
there's a huge shortage up here of good engineers,
What company do you work for?
What kind of money would you offer for the right guy?

Chillin:):)

richardb14
18-02-2008, 11:47 PM
where are you based? :)

chillin out
19-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Ayrshire.

richardb14
20-02-2008, 07:18 PM
we are in Edinburgh :(

but we are looking for someone to come on board and learn new skills. Its very rewarding work, we do Ultra low temperature cabinets, -40, -80 and -150. most of our work is in hospitals and Laboratories, its clean work and you never have to worry about parking anymore :)

you never have to work late, typically 2 - 3 jobs a day, some maintenance work, 95% is local to Edinburgh, occasional trip to Dundee and Newcastle. If you know of anyone out this way looking for an opportunity drop me a PM

chillin out
20-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Dam, just too far to travel every day.
I have worked on a few of these -80, -150 units before as well. Not round here though.

If I hear of anyone I will let you know.