PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Mississippi USA

lsmith3023
14-02-2008, 03:58 AM
Hello all,
Just posting here as an introduction. I am a service engineer working on clinical and research laboratory equipment. While I have been working for two decades on small refrigeration systems in centrifuges and laboratory devices, I have recently taken on ultra-low refrigeration. It is definetly different. I have had to un-learn 20 years of shortcuts and bad habits and learn a new set of troubleshooting skills and procedures. I have no formal training in refrigeration. Just factory service schools, hard work and trial and error. I joined this forum to maybe learn some more about the refrigeration end of my business. Unlike most of you here, refrigeration is only part of what I have to work on. It has always been a component of a larger system and therefore I only get to work on it in that context. Its hard to become proficent like that. Working the ultra-low side has given me an opportunity to really get into the refrigeration side of work. It's interesting, dammed expensive to get into and rewarding when you fix one of the beasts and it stays fixed. I will be poking around here looking and listening to what the veterans have to say.

Have a good day everyone.

(I have gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back please keep me here!)

US Iceman
14-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Now that is a nice introduction.;)

Welcome to the RE forums.

TEMPAIRE
14-02-2008, 08:42 PM
welcome new myself what do you see as ultra low
serviced cascade chambers for a while -40 to -100 and thats not considered ultra low are you talking nitrogen

Brian_UK
14-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

lsmith3023
15-02-2008, 03:32 AM
Tempaire, I am servicing what are refered to ultra-low tissue freezers. -80c to -150c. Most are two stage cascade some three. A few are autocascade units that use special gas mixes and multiple heat exchangers. I also service some cyrogenic nitrogen systems in In-Vitro fertilization labs. These are mostly just autofill plumbing systems that keep nitrogen dewars topped off. I am authorized service for Sanyo. I also work on SoLow and Thermo-Revco systems. Would like to go to Revco's schools but not ready to pop for the $9600.00 US that the basic and advanced classes would cost.

powell
15-02-2008, 07:44 AM
I'll be in MS in April. maybe we can tag up!

TEMPAIRE
15-02-2008, 10:50 AM
now that job sounds ultra interesting enjoy.

lsmith3023
15-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Powell,
email me with dates. I am located in the Jackson, MS area but travel three states. I have a service school sometime in early April but the company hasn't set a firm date. Be glad to show you what's up. Be sure to pack an umbrella or an Ark. April in MS tends to be on the wet side.

hotrodluvr
15-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Welcome Ismith,

I, too, repair laboratory units, centrifuge and specialize in ULTs. I've had the opportunity to visit Revco in Asheville on several occasions in the past and am due for recertification soon. The cascade and auto cascade units are definitley a challenge and rewarding field. I only have 8 years experience on ULTs but a longer background on gas fired ammonia and lithium bromide absorption units. I work on a lot of Fisher, Revco, Forma, and So-Low ULTs. I'm located at the Medical College of Georgia under Laboratory Equipment Services. I'd be glad to share my experiences and mistakes with you.

Greg

lsmith3023
15-02-2008, 10:54 PM
hotrodluvr,
Good to meet you. One of my company coups last year was to place a contract shop in the research wing of University of MS Medical Center. There are two building of research labs, a total of 12 floors with another 12 story building due to be occupied in May. Lots of equipment and lots of ULTs. My hardest issue with customers in the labs is turnaround time. They seem to think that you can replace a burnout and have their unit back the next day. I have had to educate them to the time involved with "doing it right". I kinda "backed into" ultra low service because the only gentleman doing it in the area retired and Labs in the area were being serviced out of Memphis or New Orleans. Both are three hour trips. The University came to me and said that if I would take on ULT and Pipettes that they would give me shop space in the research wing. So here I am. I may from time to time need advice on issues. I have a friend in San Antonio that does ULT also and he has been a great help.

powell
17-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Powell,
email me with dates. I am located in the Jackson, MS area but travel three states. I have a service school sometime in early April but the company hasn't set a firm date. Be glad to show you what's up. Be sure to pack an umbrella or an Ark. April in MS tends to be on the wet side.
As soon as I set the dates I'll let you know. It will probably be the second or third week in April. My time will be split between Jackson and Gulfport.