PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool

ds refrigeratio
09-02-2008, 01:30 AM
I have a problem with american frigde freezer, compressor not getting power from PCB but condener fan motor running ( compressor and fan powered separately from PCB ).
I suspect problem with PCB, could it be anything else?

nike123
09-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Bad connection (loose connector of compressor leads).

ds refrigeratio
09-02-2008, 03:37 PM
all connections OK
does anyone know if there is any fault codes that can be displayed on front panel.

Kp3
09-02-2008, 04:31 PM
have you got power to comp? check resistance on comp windings

Electrocoolman
09-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi DS,
Not familiar with this unit, but from what you mention in your original post I would guess you do have a problem on the pcb....assuming you have measured the power with a voltmeter at both the compressor and the pcb to eliminate broken wiring.
Does the pcb have Relays on it to switch the power through to the fans and compressor? These will probably have translucent plastic covers on them such that you might be able to see the contacts.
One trick is to gently tap them with your screwdriver handle...looking out for arcing from poor contacts.

The compressor should be powered when the condenser fan is powered.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

paul_h
10-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah bad relay on the PCB seems the most likely. Could you identify the comp relay? maybe check the coil on it?
I had a similar problem on a different brand fridge, and by getting the pcb out and tapping the relay, the comprsesor would start occasionally, so the PCB was replaced.

ds refrigeratio
10-02-2008, 05:27 PM
will try new PCB and see what happens.
Thanks DS refrigeration

expat
10-02-2008, 11:05 PM
My neighbour recently had this problem with his whirlpool fridge freezer. When there was demand one of the relays (the comp one) would sometimes not make contact properly. You could hear it buzzing and if you tapped it with a screw driver it would indeed work. After some de-soldering and testing as suggested by some posts on the UK Whitegoods site we found two of the capacitors for the relays with poor values. We changed all 4 (5 euros) and the fridge is now running fine.

There were so many cases of this fault on the above mentioned site that you might be forgiven for thinking it to be a built in design fault!

Electrocoolman
10-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Relay will cost $, pcb will cost $$$$$

gramcor
10-02-2008, 11:54 PM
I have a problem with american frigde freezer, compressor not getting power from PCB but condener fan motor running ( compressor and fan powered separately from PCB ).
I suspect problem with PCB, could it be anything else?

Hello
I am whirlpool service dealer. Please , give me the model nr. and serial service .
Gramcor