PDA

View Full Version : Amish walk-in freezer

zolar1
25-05-2003, 03:39 AM
I was recently contacted by an Amish gentleman regarding a 5'x5'x6' tall step in freezer.

He asked about using a "cold plate" instead of using his diesel engine as a generator.

The step-in freezer would be located inside a barn.

I told him he could use a shaft drive compressor attached to the diesel engine and use more modern refrigeration parts.

I feel that he should just attach a belt driven generator to the engine, but haven't got a clue as to where to get the parts & how to hook it up so that the engine starts a bit before the refrig compressor does.

Anyone have information as to where to get & how to install a 'cold plate' or the needed generator parts/hookup?

Personally, I don't believe a cold plate will provide a cold enough temperature without spending a lot of $$.

Of course, he wants everything ...ahem...'cheap'

Please email me with information as he wants price & such about mid week next week.

Zolar

herefishy
26-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Hi Zolar,

What you would want to employ, are referred to as "EUTECTIC" PLATES. These devices have a aolution whose makeup determines the temperature to be maintaines (melting point). You would chill these plates (usually overnight in a portable transportation application) and you would have so many hours of "road time. You would want to do a load calculation to determine the volume of solution required. One company that comes to mind (which is very helpful and knowledgeable) is DOLE REFRIGERATING COMPANY, out of Lewisburg, Tennessee.

....ahem, .... so much for "cheap".. but maybe you could find some old milk truck bodies to rob some plates out of ;).

see ya' :)

zolar1
27-05-2003, 04:15 AM
Thank you Herefishy.

The Amish gentleman probably wouldn't have any way to chill the plates without using electricity.

Since they are generally a self reliant culture, I wonder if generating their own electricity would violate their cultural limitations?

Any suggestions on a generator that can be attached to a diesel motor?

I suppose a few relays would control everything and shouldn't be too difficult to 'eng-ineer' (LOL)

Perhaps an open drive compressor attached to a drive shaft off of the front pulley would work?

REL
27-05-2003, 06:32 AM
they are not cheap by any means, but you can get generators for the PTO off a tractor from a tractor supplier.

grand parents dairy farm has had one for years and years. too many power outages so just used a manual transfer switch and backed up to it.

they attach to the three point hitch and operate at 240 single phase, 60 htz when driven at 540 rpm.

i do not recall the output of the unit, but it was never seriously loaded and ran all the milking and storage equipment along with the house power.

http://www.backuppowersystems.com/1phase.html

http://bestfarmbuys.com/classifieds/category.asp?category=Generators

there are a couple of links, the second one is used equipment

rich

herefishy
27-05-2003, 01:53 PM
I think the Amish are ameniable to generated electricity usage. I recall the Amish carpenter who she contracted to make some furniture.... He had a nice shop with electric power tools, saws and the like. I'm not sure if he generated his own power. It seems that around the Hermitage area, there was some dissention within the congregation regarding the (prohibited?)use of public power supply.

:)

nonetheless, the could still utilize the diesel powered compressor to cool the plates (rated for his required temperature), and not need to run the diesel 24/7, only running it to pull down the plates. He could shut it off at night, and not have to listen to it whilst he sleeps.

Anyway, a btu is btu is a btu, so I don't think that any savings or decrease in duty would result from the applicaiton. I guess if it is to be a freezer, perhaps an ice cream truck would need to be robbed (instead of the milk truck).

Dan
31-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Clip clop clip clop... creak.... clip clop clip clop ...slam..... brrrrrrrrrr.... creak.... clip clop clip clop clip clop.

An Amish walk-in freezer. Sorry... I had to.

zolar1
31-05-2003, 02:49 AM
LOLOLOLOLOL

But it's for REAL. They DO want one!

Prof Sporlan
31-05-2003, 02:53 AM
Clip clop clip clop... creak.... clip clop clip clop ...slam..... brrrrrrrrrr.... creak.... clip clop clip clop clip clop.

Now that's how to relate horsepower to tons refrigeration... :D :D :D

condenseddave
01-06-2003, 11:39 PM
The Amish generally will use generators for power.

They will also use someone else's telephone, or ride in someone else's vehicle.

There are different sects of the Amish, such as "Church" and "House" Amish that allow certain things that other sects may not, and vice versa.

Their real problem is that they don't want to pay a utility to bring in the power.

A two stage temperature control could be employed to control this, the first stage to bring up the power plant, (Break the genset control power, then use a time delay on the second stage to allow for pumpdown.) and the second to open a solenoid valve.

With eutectic plates, though, (robbed form an old milk truck is an excellent idea, BTW.;) ) the control would be relatively easy. No pumpdown, just amke and break the control power to the generator.

You say he wants cheap? The Amish want cheap?:D Get outta town! Can't believe that!:D

Abe
02-06-2003, 10:35 PM
When I lived in Canada I came across the Menonites. I thought they were Amish, dress like them, drive carts, ect]
They also drive cars, have appliances, and run machinery.
I also believe there not short of a bob or two. I do admire them quite a lot. I was in a place called St Jacobs in Ontario. What a pretty, quaint place it is. It is etched in my happy memories of Canada.

oogene
01-02-2006, 03:57 AM
this post will be a little late, I'm sure, but the next time , try framing in and hanging a used Thermoking trailer reefer perhaps an SB III unit.all you need is a fuel tank and diesel to run it

whiffnsniff
27-02-2006, 11:35 AM
WHat do you call an Amish man with his arm up a horses butt.
A mechanic.

Couldn't resist sorry