PDA

View Full Version : blockages domestic fridges

john squibb
22-05-2003, 07:31 PM
how do you clear blockages in domestic ref.

angryk
23-05-2003, 12:02 AM
What kind of blockage?

Abe
23-05-2003, 08:25 PM
John

Blockage may be in the filter/drier or cap tube.

Change filter and also replace capillary tubing.

neil sailes
09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
John
If the capillary is moulded into evap, remove the drier/filter and blast about 100 psi of nitrogenthrough the system until the open end of the cappilary blows clear .

chemi-cool
09-01-2004, 09:32 PM
john,
it will be a good idea to check if all that work you are going to invest on a domestic fridge worth it.
but still, there is a special tool to open blocked cap tubes that can reach over 4000 psi which will open any cap tube.
it will be wise to disconnect the other end the tube to avoid exploding of a lrger diameter tubes.
I do not remember where to look for it, but it must be there on the www.

chemi

Brian_UK
09-01-2004, 11:42 PM
I'll go along with Chemi here John, think carefully about the costs of repairing a domestic fridge.

You spend several hours degassing it, breaking it open, cleaning or changing the cap tube, fitting a new drier, pressure testing, vaccing out and recharging.

Then it runs for a few weeks (days!!) and packs up again.

You get called back and start again, the customer could have bought a new fridge for ±£150-200 so will now begin to question the costs mounting up.

jay
30-01-2004, 06:45 PM
I used to get this problems more often nad what i did was reverse cycle which means suction to discharge of compressor and discharge to suction of compressor and you will not believe it worked . I know it sounds stupid but try it

chemi-cool
30-01-2004, 08:05 PM
hi jay,

what you did shows that the cup tube was blocked and you have cleaned whatever blocked it, into the compressor oil.

it might work and might not. the best is, once the cup tube is blocked, if you dont have anything to open the blockage, change it.( the cup tube)
I belive in your country, fridges are as cheap as in europe.

chemi

Abe
30-01-2004, 09:22 PM
When I was in africa......thats what "we" used to do......reverse the pipework and blow the obstruction out.......but that was in the good R12 days
With R134 its a whole new ball game
Change the filter......(Dont use pencil drier), .cut off a couple of inches of cap tube......switch to R49......and bingo......it might just work.

chemi-cool
30-01-2004, 09:30 PM
with R-134a it happends all the the time even with new fridges.

I switch them to R-12 and the problem's gone for good.
I think there is something with R-134a that does something to the steel condensers because I have found tiny metal particals in R134a driers. or maybe its from the compressor.

there is defenatly something wrong with this refrigerant!

chemi

jay
31-01-2004, 04:03 PM
we still have r12 fridges and believe me, lots of it and it is expensive to buy new one. It is not less than 700 to 800 us$ not everybody can change we still live in old sentimental days its my old good fridge . we are importing all scrap fridges from europe they call it reconditioned and sell it all of them are R12

chemi-cool
31-01-2004, 07:53 PM
we are importing all scrap fridges from europe they call it reconditioned and sell it all of them are R12

do they import them???
no way, they are europe`s trash can and some one is making millions to sell it to the africans.

700 to 800$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for an old R-12, I AM SHOCKED!

should I be?

take care jay, I'm on your side.

chemi

Mark
31-01-2004, 08:09 PM
waxed,moisture,oil all these are prime candidates for breakdowns Associated with capillarys R134a and other refrigerants.If its accesible disconnect suction line off compressor fit shrader for access, score capillary or unsweat if totally discharged from drier body.Purge accordingly with OFN as required clearing restriction .If the restriction cannot be pinpointed a new evaparator plate etc and or capillary would have to be fitted.
Usually it kills the compressor and the blockage is found when re-commisioning unit.
regards mark:D

Abe
31-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Chemi , dont be shocked.........

800 US$ is for a new fridge, not an old reconditioned one
I hope I am right!!

Now this is the scenario

In the UK, consumers dump their fridges after a few years or first hint of trouble

They take it to their local Council run rubbish tip where the fridges accumulate

ECC Legislation passed last year says Councils now cannot dump od fridges into land fills

So after spending many millions, special sites were set up across the country.

Lorry loads of fridges come in every day and get on a conveyor belt. First they suck the oil out, then remove the refrigerant, then remove the compressor. Then the carcass is shredded into tiny bits.

All the compressors end up in a huge skip. The refrigerant, I think that goes for safe disposal.

Now......the waste companies make a bit of money. Exporters will turn up and select the best fridges and buy them for a song, before they are broken up. Each fridge will cost roughly £5.00 each

They take them back to their units, clean them, test them and load them onto 40 foot containers. Remember, most fridges have small probs, maybe a bad stat.......

These mainly head for Africa.

I dont know what the Africans pay for these fridges when they get there

Compressors are also sent by the container load. You can buy a tonne of compressors for around 100 to 150 pounds.

I would think they are sold in Africa for around 80 Pounds each.