PDA

View Full Version : Oiling flares

Contactor
05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Good afternoon everyone

I would like to buy a small pots of mineral / esther oil to keep for installation work when making flares, but I can't find anywhere selling less than 4 litres. If anyone knows of a supplier offering this I would be most grateful . :D:D

Thanks

andy c
05-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Rather than buying a larger quantity than you need, get yourself down to the local chemist and ask them for a sample bottle. They will usually give this FoC, then next time you change your vac pump oil, (which you should do on a regular basis) you can fill your sample bottle with vac pump oil, which is more than adequate for flarenuts.
Happy flaring. Andy C.;)

nike123
05-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I using eye drops bottle filled with vacuum pump oil!

monkey spanners
05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
You can get 1L ester oil cans (emkarate sw32) from climate center or rpw and probably many more. I use ester oil on all my flare, including systems running on mineral oil.

norfolkboy
05-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Greenmill supplies of colchester do mail order and sell a small (130ml) bottle of universal flare nut oil. their phone no is 0800 2795 999 and no i dont work for them.
Hope this is of help.

licencetochill
06-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Just buy an oil can from a tool shop and fill it up from a big bottle whenever it gets empty..simple,cheap, effective

Contactor
06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks everyone, during training I was told to use a small pot of 'virgin' oil and then dispose of it due to the hydroscopic nature of esther oils . This may be a bit OTT for some I guess, Daikin used to supply sealed little pots with their splits...

Latte
06-02-2008, 09:20 PM
you are only going to use it to put on flare joints and not in the system so as previously suggested i use vac pump oil in a squirty can that i got from a car factors.

Either that or use leaklock on every thread:eek:

By the way NRS have stopped selling leaklock, anyone know why :confused:

Regards

Fatboy

chillin out
06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
You could also tip a few drops out of a new comp.

Any oil will do, even engine oil or cooking oil. The oil doesn't enter the system as you will only be putting it on the back of the flare not the mating surface.

Chillin:):)

Dr._Fleck
07-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I agree.
i just use left over diesel engine oil from when i service my car. Even if a tiny bit did enter the system it would have absolutely no effect.

Refrigerologist
09-04-2008, 12:28 AM
I was taught to OIL BOTH the BACK and the FACE of the flare. What has changed? DAIKIN still recommend that the face and back of the flare is oiled, well at least their installation manuals do.

Perhaps we are all getting a little hung up on contamination by the wrong oil or moisture in the ester oils? I still oil them this way and I will continue until I see a proven reason as to why I shouldn't. By the way I have not had a leak on a flare on an install carried out by us in six years of trading! I must be doing something right! Mind you I do use a good torque wrench!

The MG Pony
09-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I just use what ever old oil I have at hand, mostly mineral, dip a bit on a coth then wipe down the flare, never an issue.

Peter_1
10-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I was taught to OIL BOTH the BACK and the FACE of the flare. What has changed? DAIKIN still recommend that the face and back of the flare is oiled, well at least their installation manuals do.

Only the back of the flare is necessary, the oil is added there for a very good reason and adding it on the inside of the flare doesn't harm anything but it doesn't help neither.

Contactor
10-04-2008, 08:50 PM
A little oil on the yoke helps with formation

Peter_1
10-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Indeed, you have a point, forgot this one.