PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration System requirement for Class 1 Div 2 Room

jwasir
02-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi,

I’ll appreciate by getting the information regarding the requirements for a refrigeration system operating in the room classified as Class 1, Div 2.

Regards,

smpsmp45
04-02-2008, 06:40 AM
I am not sure.But we did a project wherein the Hazardous flames were present on the sie. It was a petrochemical project. We used all the Flame proof equipments there including all electrical items. like wire terminals etc.

jwasir
04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Do you by chance have any data related to the subject, from the project.

Thanks

US Iceman
04-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure what the Canadian equivalent is, but the following US codes address the specific requirements.

NFPA-National Fire Protection Association
NEC-National Electric Code

Whoever the client is their insurance company will determine the actual requirements you need to meet (such as the above codes) and the area classification. You did not mention the Group designation because the entire area classification would look something like this: Class 1, Group D, Div 2.

The customer should be providing the actual requirements for the entire area classification, not just what you have provided.

This is nothing to guess at as if you specify what the equipment should meet and you guess wrong (if and when something happens) you OWN the whole system and related costs!

These requirements can change or be revised on a case by case basis for any facility. The facility may also have their own specification on what you should be providing and complying with.

Be very careful in what you agree to do and provide. The liability can be unlimited!

IceMan_4000
04-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey US Iceman the B-52 is the governing code

I have a real nice PDF of it. Hey JWSIR if you are out east I belive the ontario gov add a new item. All new Class "T" machine rooms will need to house all primary refrigerant. Which basicly means no more evap condensers

A couple big ones are the vestibule, at least one exit to outside air, the proper amount of air changes. it is quite the dry and long document. If you are out east the gov is rumored to adding a new one. "All Primary refrigerant in a class "T" (ammonia room) must be contained within the machine room. Which means no evap condenser or you have to put it inside.

IceMan_4000

US Iceman
04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
"All Primary refrigerant in a class "T" (ammonia room) must be contained within the machine room. Which means no evap condenser or you have to put it inside.

Yikes!

What qualifies as a class "T" equipment room? Is this specifically for ammonia only, or for a hazardous atmosphere defined as explosion proof?

ASHRAE STD. -15 sounds similar to what you are describing, however, the evap. condenser has no problem with being on the roof, or anywhere external to equipment room as long as fresh air intakes, windows, etc. are not close by.

In ASHRAE Std. - 15, there are classifications for areas such as commercial, institutional, industrial, etc. These stipulate the requirements for the use of primary and secondary refrigerants. So, if you meet the qualifications for industrial use you have to use an equipment room with ventilation, ingress & egress, warning signs, etc.

BTW, when I hear the numbers B-52 I usually think of a very big airplane that drops things that go boom!:D

jwasir
05-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks to ALL

Hey Ice Man 4000, is it possible to provide the PDF file?

I am in southern Ontario.

IceMan_4000
05-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Thanks to ALL

Hey Ice Man 4000, is it possible to provide the PDF file?

I am in southern Ontario.

The Change no

The semi-Current "B-52 Document yes

You have no contact info so I can not send it to you.

So I will try this free upload http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=5200014

US Iceman

The B-52 Mechanical code is the document that rules installation of new systems us up here.

Class "T" is the section that directly applies to ammonia rooms.

Me personally I am kind of happy they are pushing for all ammonia contained in one room. This will give me a direct advatage over those in the arena market since we have a design based on cooling tower over evap.

US Iceman
05-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Me personally I am kind of happy they are pushing for all ammonia contained in one room.

Then how are you supposed to install a central ammonia system with refrigerant piped all over the place?

IceMan_4000
05-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Then how are you supposed to install a central ammonia system with refrigerant piped all over the place?

I think this is going to apply to more public installations then a major industrial.

The more they legistations force us the to change our vision of an ammonia room the stronger we will be as an industry

Icman_4000

Of topic

I am sure happy I have past my 15 posts so I can put links up

US Iceman
05-02-2008, 04:46 AM
The more they legistations force us the to change our vision of an ammonia room the stronger we will be as an industry

Or, to look at it from a different perspective... The better job we as an industry do, the less chance we will have for being forced to do something that might not make sense too.

IceMan_4000
05-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Or, to look at it from a different perspective... The better job we as an industry do, the less chance we will have for being forced to do something that might not make sense too.

Very elequantly put US Iceman

jwasir
06-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Once again thanks ALL for the informative stuff..

Iceman 4000, Is it possible for U to PM me.(!)

Thanks

IceMan_4000
06-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Once again thanks ALL for the informative stuff..

Iceman 4000, Is it possible for U to PM me.(!)

Thanks

JWASIR I sent you an email to the address in your profile.

I am not to sure what you would like if your looking for the code click on the link 6 posts up.

If it does not work let me know and I will email it to you

Ice_man 4000