PDA

View Full Version : Not A Hobby But Interesting!

Grizzly
31-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I know it's not a hobby but did anyone else see that amazing program on channel 5.
ICE ROAD TRUCKERS.
I am just starting to comprehend some of the difficulties our colleagues in the North Americas can face.
The trucks had ethenol evaporators built into the brake air lines to eradicate any moisture.
Because at temps of -40f any moisture freezes and the brakes lock on. etc etc, an amazing program not to be missed.
Grizzly:)

absolute-zero
31-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I know it's not a hobby but did anyone else see that amazing program on channel 5.
ICE ROAD TRUCKERS.
I am just starting to comprehend some of the difficulties our colleagues in the North Americas can face.
The trucks had ethenol evaporators built into the brake air lines to eradicate any moisture.
Because at temps of -40f any moisture freezes and the brakes lock on. etc etc, an amazing program not to be missed.

Grizzly I dont need to watch that program I live it and see it every day here in the NE,

Most of the businnes i used to get was tractors losing control and jacknifing wiping out the reefer.

Luckily since abs systems came out tractor trailerrs very seldom lose control of the vehicle due to slippery conditions, however we still occassionally get the silly driver that cant read low bridge dimensions, and wipes out the top of the tractor and trailer plus relocates the reefer in the trailer body.:eek:

Regards A-Z

Grizzly
31-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Grizzly I dont need to watch that program I live it and see it every day here in the NE,

Most of the businnes i used to get was tractors losing control and jacknifing wiping out the reefer.

Luckily since abs systems came out tractor trailerrs very seldom lose control of the vehicle due to slippery conditions,
Regards A-Z
Respect is all I can say.

however we still occassionally get the silly driver that cant read low bridge dimensions, and wipes out the top of the tractor and trailer plus relocates the reefer in the trailer body.:eek:
We get them to round my way they are called Bus Drivers. Usually some of the latest to join from Poland!http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Brian_UK
31-01-2008, 11:44 PM
We get them to round my way they are called Bus Drivers. Do you mind, I never drove my bus under a low bridge (he says indignantly).

Mind you, I know someone who did:D

Anyway back to IRT, yes I came across the programme on the SKY and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sure if the EU driving regulations would apply up there :rolleyes:

Grizzly
01-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Do you mind, I never drove my bus under a low bridge (he says indignantly).

Anyway back to IRT, yes I came across the programme on the SKY and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sure if the EU driving regulations would apply up there :rolleyes:
Nah Someone would be on thin Ice!
Anyway I thoughT they gave you a VAN
Grizzly

Brian_UK
01-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Anyway I thoughT they gave you a VAN
GrizzlyNo, I meant in a previous pre-Mowlem period.

Anyway, my van is currently having a bad hair day, well week really, at the dealers.

absolute-zero
01-02-2008, 09:44 AM
No, I meant in a previous pre-Mowlem period.

Anyway, my van is currently having a bad hair day, well week really, at the dealers.

I hate it when my van has a bad hair day:D

But really I do not know how half of these truck here drivers here get there licences.

I can tell you some terrible stories about the drivers here, especially some of the drivers that live in there trucks, personal hygene YIKES!!!!!

A-Z

Brian_UK
02-02-2008, 01:46 AM
I can tell you some terrible stories about the drivers here, especially some of the drivers that live in there trucks, personal hygene YIKES!!!!!

A-Z
No ! Please ! do not go there......

The Viking
02-02-2008, 02:04 AM

A-Z

What?

Like the milk bottles with yellow fluid in them that litters our environment?:D

Grizzly
02-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Do you mind, I never drove my bus under a low bridge (he says indignantly).

Actually Guys
I was talking recently to the driver of 1 of the 2 Ammonia recovery Tankers, Sadly shutting down yet another Ammonia based Dairy!
He was telling me a story about his friend whose road haulage company nearly went bust.Because all the Polish Lorry Drivers he had Employed.
Were in the habit of leaving the hand break off during Winter time. Apparantly In Poland the temperature drops so low that the brakes freeze on.
So they would park with the brakes off to stop this happening.
The resultant crashes from the lorries moveing and bumping into whatever were costing the firm a fortune.
One day I will tell you about the Polish Engineers and the £5,000,000 BILL TO THE FRENCH GOUVERNMENT for 1 DAY.
GRIZZLYhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

absolute-zero
02-02-2008, 02:27 AM
What?

Like the milk bottles with yellow fluid in them that litters our environment?:D

Try dirty undergarments stuck to ceiling walls seats.

I had one that accidently deficated in his bed and driver seat.

I think i could have delt with milk bottle over the other stuff, but it was almost like walking in to a out house, porta-jon.

Needlless to say he didnt get his APU climate control system fixed in my shop.

I dont care if my labor rate was 1000 dollars an hr, there was no way i could stomach that, and i have always said, I would never make my laborer or technicians do something i wouldnt do.

Regards A-Z

absolute-zero
02-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Try dirty undergarments stuck to ceiling walls seats.

I had one that accidently deficated in his bed and driver seat.

I think i could have delt with milk bottle over the other stuff, but it was almost like walking in to a out house, porta-jon.

Needlless to say he didnt get his APU climate control system fixed in my shop.

I dont care if my labor rate was 1000 dollars an hr, there was no way i could stomach that, and i have always said, I would never make my laborer or technicians do something i wouldnt do.

Regards A-Z

Sorry Brian but the question was asked:o

absolute-zero
02-02-2008, 03:54 AM
[quote=Brian_UK;91601]Do you mind, I never drove my bus under a low bridge (he says indignantly).

Actually Guys
I was talking recently to the driver of 1 of the 2 Ammonia recovery Tankers, Sadly shutting down yet another Ammonia based Dairy!
He was telling me a story about his friend whose road haulage company nearly went bust.Because all the Polish Lorry Drivers he had Employed.
Were in the habit of leaving the hand break off during Winter time. Apparantly In Poland the temperature drops so low that the brakes freeze on.
So they would park with the brakes off to stop this happening.
The resultant crashes from the lorries moveing and bumping into whatever were costing the firm a fortune.
One day I will tell you about the Polish Engineers and the £5,000,000 BILL TO THE FRENCH GOUVERNMENT for 1 DAY.
GRIZZLYhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Federal Local and State, Division of transportation would have a field day with that one:(

They would not only be fined but probably red tapped for a long time.

Any of you guys seen that new brake sytem in automotive cars, possibly lexus i think, They have sensors on the braking system tat allows the vehilce to automatically apply light brake pressure, in efforts to keep the brakes, drums and rotors/discs dry.

Perhaps you will see that safety feature implimented in all vehicles in the future, including heavy commercial truck and trailer.

Here in the US we use whats called air drier, works much like liguidline drier.

As the air compressor pumps the air, the fisrt place the comp air goes to is a air dryer, the air drier has purge valve that quickly opens and shuts by removing the water through what known as spitting in slang term, The air drier purge valve also has an electric heater to prevent form freezing. The purpose of the air drier is to remove moisture and any other contaminats from enterting the main air system of the tractor and trailer. These are considered to be a annual mainteance item, if not maintained all systems that work off of air as source of power will fail due to ice formation in lines and control valves. Main purpose for air in heavy truck is braking power if valve is forze up or air cant get to brake chambers due to ice restriction, two things can happe.

1. brakes completly lock up full force
2. Zero brake power to one or multiple wheels, this is especially dangerouse if brake pressure is applied unequally to both sides of the axle, you will get the wheel chair effect. Very dangerouse and easily can lose control of the vehicle through what also known as the crack of the whip effect.

A-Z

Gary
20-03-2008, 10:34 PM
ICE ROAD TRUCKERS.

I thought it was pretty clever the way they fill their tires. Instead of pumping air into them, they break the bead, squirt in some lighter fluid and ignite it. The air expands so fast the tire jumps off the ground.

silentbobt
21-08-2009, 04:07 PM
some great scary job programs out there just now

silentbobt
21-08-2009, 04:08 PM
3 more posts to go and I can seek advice with pics

Brian_UK
21-08-2009, 10:28 PM
3 more posts to go and I can seek advice with picsWell, don't blame the forum rules as it's taken you over four years to get this far. :D