PDA

View Full Version : Co2 For CA Cold Store

rajgulati
30-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Hallo,

Can we use Co2 in CA/MA store as a secondary refrigerant.By Using only Co2 pump not compressor.

thk.

rajgulati

rajgulati
30-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I mean by cooling the co2 by ammonia and pumped it to the CA chambers.

rajgulati

rajgulati
30-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Is anybody has experince in pumping of Co2 in cold rooms

smpsmp45
31-01-2008, 06:21 AM
We had done similar work with Kwality ice creams long back. Co2 handling is very very tough & unless one follows precautions things could be dangerous. TWO issues. Toxic levels & pr built up in the cold store. At present , I do not believe India is really geared up for such things

Josip
01-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Hi, rajgulati :)

I mean by cooling the co2 by ammonia and pumped it to the CA chambers.

rajgulati

Please, can you explain something more.....CA-controlled atmosphere chambers-right!?.......and cooling with liquid CO2:confused: what temperatures you have in chambers, goods....what is that for....benefits...and so...thanks

Best regards, Josip :)

US Iceman
01-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Can we use Co2 in CA/MA store as a secondary refrigerant. By Using only Co2 pump not compressor.

Why would you want to do that? CO2 will have very high pressures in the expected temperature range for CA storage rooms.

You would be better to use a normal ammonia refrigeration system, I would think.

smpsmp45
01-02-2008, 06:33 AM
We had an enquiry on similar subject. The idea is that say for Banana Ripening chambers you retard the rate of ripening by introducing Co2 in the room. & incedently the Bananas were to be exported to Europe & ripening process was to be completed in that country. The concept was to minimise the damage of ripened fruit during transport. Few companies here were hooked on to this idea first. Infact those were fertilisers companies & they had Co2 as their by product. We worked with them for a long But eventually nothing came out. Though on paper the idea was excellent. They also tried few R& D efforts to find out the duration with Co2 etc in the cold store for various fruit wherein the ripening process gets retarded.

Sergei
01-02-2008, 08:04 AM
We had an enquiry on similar subject. The idea is that say for Banana Ripening chambers you retard the rate of ripening by introducing Co2 in the room. & incedently the Bananas were to be exported to Europe & ripening process was to be completed in that country. The concept was to minimise the damage of ripened fruit during transport. Few companies here were hooked on to this idea first. Infact those were fertilisers companies & they had Co2 as their by product. We worked with them for a long But eventually nothing came out. Though on paper the idea was excellent. They also tried few R& D efforts to find out the duration with Co2 etc in the cold store for various fruit wherein the ripening process gets retarded.
Actually, Co2 increase rate of banana ripening. Bananas are breathing and exhale the Co2. Banana room required certain ventilation to keep Co2 level at minimum to prevent ripening.

smpsmp45
01-02-2008, 10:21 AM
If I am right Ethylele is used for speeding up the ripening process
http://www.electronicscentre.biz/electronicscentre_files/page0010.htm

Sergei
01-02-2008, 06:13 PM
A while ago I worked on banana carrier. As far as remember, the technology to transport bananas was following:
1. After loading, temperature should be pulled down as fast as possible to 13.3 degC.
2. Temperature should be kept as close as possible to 13.3 degC. Acceptable fluctuation is from 13.1 degC to 13.5 degC.
3. Refrigerated spaces should have limited ventilation to keep Co2 level below 0.1%.

nike123
01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Here are some data for banana ripening:
http://tinyurl.com/2aav2k

US Iceman
01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, we are getting off track on the subject.

The poster is looking for information on using CO2 as a secondary refrigerant (similar to using a brine/glycol solution) and pumping it to the coils.

At least I think this is what he is looking for.;)

VENTECH
26-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Actually, Co2 increase rate of banana ripening. Bananas are breathing and exhale the Co2. Banana room required certain ventilation to keep Co2 level at minimum to prevent ripening.
Bananas rooms need to be purged after 24 hrs of ethylene gassing to remove the CO2 produced by ripening. If you don't purge, ripening is inhibited. same applies to citrus de-greening. Go to our website ventech co uk & download the user manual & read page9