PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint FZA80P Upright Freezer

drumtochty
27-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Machine is 5 years old and recently the internal temperature is sitting near -30C. It used to sit at around -18C and has done until recently.

Adjusting the temperature adjuster control makes no difference to the internal temperature. It is a frost free model and when the door opens the fan switches off and it is still staying frost free.

Taking off the top front panel reveals it is controlled by a circuit board that has the door switch wired to it. It has the fast freeze button mounted on the circuit board which appears to operate OK.

The temperature control basically rotates a potentiometer on the circuit board.

Looking at the back of the machine apart from the mains wire, there appears to be no other control wires visible.

Can anyone suggest what can be done? I notice the circuit board is available for circa £70.

eddie

nike123
27-01-2008, 10:35 PM
How did you check that fast freeze button?

frank
27-01-2008, 10:50 PM
You will get better support and advice here (http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index)

drumtochty
27-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I switched the power off at the plug, waited a minute and switched on. Only the fan that does the frost free came on at first. I pushed the Fast Freeze button. The fast freeze light came on and the freezer mechanism started running.

From that I assumed the Fast Freeze button was working.

If I did not push the button after tripping the power it takes some time for the full mechanism to cut in. I have not measured the time it takes.

Eddie

nike123
27-01-2008, 11:05 PM
How did you checked temperature!

drumtochty
28-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I checked the freezer temperatures with a digital probe connected to a remote readout. I use it for both our garage freezer and this Hotpoint.

Both freezers were reading -18C in the past. Now the outside freezer is still at -18C but the Hotpoint is circa -30 and the icecream in the Hotpoint is very hard which was the reason for recently checking the freezer temperature.

drumtochty
28-01-2008, 12:49 AM
It's a freezer not a fridge freezer.

How do y0u get access to the probe!

eddie

nike123
28-01-2008, 12:57 AM
It's a freezer not a fridge freezer.

How do y0u get access to the probe!

eddie

Sorry I dig some wrong data before.

Your controller is probably this:

http://tinyurl.com/37ugvs

It has only one probe, and I don't know where is placed.
As I said before, it could be 2 things:
1 Defective sensor
2 Defective thermostat

Polestar
28-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Has the machine ever been topped up before ? I would check that location of the temperature sensor if it is measuring the evaporator temperature as opposed to chamber temperature ensure the evaporator is fully active and reaching the sensing device.
Further assuming basics have been observed door seals good door shuts okay check the condenser load when running is the condenser heat trim pipe active all round the door if not may be short of refrigerant.

davej
28-01-2008, 05:23 PM
In the early stages of a gas leak it is not uncommom for the temp to get down below normal settign if the sensor is reading evap temp as the pot will run on for extended periods, longer than normal, and consequantly low air temp is achieved with long periods of un-opening. before condeming pcb's check gas charge (back pressure)