PDA

View Full Version : Carel temperature controller issues

tegwin
24-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Hope someone can help...

I bought a pair of basic Carel temperature controllers from RS along with a pair of the recomended thermistors...

RS part numbers:
Controller 466-2012
Temperature probe 250-0158

I have wired up a 230V supply and the temperature probes to the two controllers and switched it on....

Both Carel controllers show E0 Which is a probe error code...

Does anyone have any experience with these controlers? Is there anything you have to do to make them work for the first time?

Or are the controlers/probes likley to be duff? (I cant belive both controlers and both sensors are FUBAR!)

Lowrider
25-01-2008, 12:04 AM
most likely ambiant probe sensor.

What type of controller is it? The Carel type, RS doesn't mean anything to me!

Brian_UK
25-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi and welcome.

I'm afraid that you have bought the wrong probes.

That model unit uses PTC probes and you have NTC.

Sorry.

Lowrider
25-01-2008, 12:11 AM
did a search on google, should be PJ32V6E000.

Manual could be found at: http://www.carel.com/carelcom/web/eng/catalogo/prodotto_docs.jsp?id_prodotto=102&id_tipologia=5&id_gamma=18

Good Luck!

tegwin
25-01-2008, 12:14 AM
The controler is a Carel PJ32 V6E

230V
Single temperature probe (S1)
SPST 8A relay

Hmm...I have a NTC temperature probes.....one of the two spec sheets I have says it wants PTC (the other says NTC)

Thats silly...It also says on the RS website that either probe will work...ARGH!!!

Whats the difference, and could this be my problem?

Lowrider
25-01-2008, 12:22 AM
The link I send is for the manual, which clearly ststed the unit you use needs ptc's.

NTC means negative temperature coëfficient
PTC means positive temperature coëfficient

On a NTC the resistance drops on increasing temperature, on a PTC the resistance goes up with the temperature.

E0 means S1 probe not working!

tegwin
25-01-2008, 12:23 AM
How annoying!

Looks like I will have to order a pair of new probes that actually work...Anyone want a pair of slightly used NTC probes :-(

The Viking
25-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Speak to RS and explain the confusion, they will take them back and after 6 months to a year you will get a credit note.

Grizzly
25-01-2008, 09:09 AM
The controler is a Carel PJ32 V6E

230V
Single temperature probe (S1)
SPST 8A relay

Hmm...I have a NTC temperature probes.....one of the two spec sheets I have says it wants PTC (the other says NTC)

Thats silly...It also says on the RS website that either probe will work...ARGH!!!

Whats the difference, and could this be my problem?
tegwin.
Check out the link below and open Tech Bulletin 15
and more will be revealled,
Cheers Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

http://www.invensyscontrolseurope.com/InvensysControlsEurope/en/ProductsServices/Eliwell/Documentation/TechnicalBulletins.htm

Peter_1
26-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Most Carel controllers accept both, you only have to alter the parameter
If you have a small resistor of 1 kohm (PTC) and 10 kohm (NTC) instead of the regular probe, you can check your controller

careluk
30-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Reading at previous reply to your query I can confirm the PJ32V6E000 (carel part number) accepts only PTC 1K ohm probe.
Unfortunately you have got the NTC type.

Regards

Carel UK after sales

Hope someone can help...

I bought a pair of basic Carel temperature controllers from RS along with a pair of the recomended thermistors...

RS part numbers:
Controller 466-2012
Temperature probe 250-0158

I have wired up a 230V supply and the temperature probes to the two controllers and switched it on....

Both Carel controllers show E0 Which is a probe error code...

Does anyone have any experience with these controlers? Is there anything you have to do to make them work for the first time?

Or are the controlers/probes likley to be duff? (I cant belive both controlers and both sensors are FUBAR!)