PDA

View Full Version : Cooling tower piping design

kaon
23-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Context:
Rectangular cross-flow cooling towers of about 200RT per fan, for water cooled chillers for commercial air-conditioning in a tropical climate.

Some cross-flow cooling towers have piping arranged like in attached photo - incoming warm water pipe is submerged for a considerable length in the bottom basin, which seems sub-optimal.

How much impact do you think this has on efficiency?

I imagine there is a formula for estimating the heat flow from warm water thru a given area of PVC pipe into cooler water. Any pointers?

magdy akl
23-01-2008, 10:42 PM
hellow every one i am magdy akl from egypt my work mainly related to cooling towers and fans
i work as advisor or cnsultant for sme contractors in my area.

magdy akl
23-01-2008, 10:48 PM
did some one gave you any comment on this i wany to see it ?

Brian_UK
23-01-2008, 11:29 PM
How much impact do you think this has on efficiency?Very little I would imagine, although I could be wrong ;)

If it had a major impact on performance then it would not have been designed/built that way.

Do you have the make/model details?

Brian_UK
23-01-2008, 11:30 PM
did some one gave you any comment on this i wany to see it ?Could you not provide some useful information in reply??

kaon
24-01-2008, 05:33 AM
Very little I would imagine, although I could be wrong ;)

If it had a major impact on performance then it would not have been designed/built that way.

Do you have the make/model details?

The photo is from a no-name tower, it is newly assembled, not in use yet.

My sites have a few other cross flow towers of various makes.
And I noticed that the Shinwa's have minimal submerged length, about 6 inches of vertical riser.

And yet a no-name seemingly under-performing tower has lots of submerged horizontal runs. Sticking a thermometer probe into the basin at various points showed more than 1 degree C rise near the pipes.
A probe stuck into drips in the infill from outside might read 25C while a probe stuck in the basin might read 27C. I want to measure the temperature of water that is just dripping into the basin, I would need to be inside the CT while it is running, and use a little cup...

wambat
24-01-2008, 08:00 AM
looks to me like it's piped backwards
look here to see how a cross flow is normally piped
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_tower#HVAC :confused: