PDA

View Full Version : Car A/C charging stations

Andy W
21-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I have been toying with the idea of investing in a proper all singing all dancing charging station for my workshop, I usually use just my vac pump, scales, heater belt etc after pressure testing with ofn, I know there are plenty of companies who are now offering "re gassing" I just wondered if a purpose built station was a good idea.

Has anyone any experience of these or more importantly all the latest ones have a fancy looking oil recovery measurement bottle built in the machines so they can replace the oil which has come out of the system, any one know how it works and if it is possible to build such a rig or does anyone have exploded diagrams of any charging stations.

Alan B
21-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi Andy,
You do not need an all singing etc. m/c. You have most of the necessary basic equipment to service the gas side of air-con.
Spend your money on a good portable recovery m/c and a course on refrigeration which includes the ideas of superheat and sub-cooling so you understand what should be happening in the various parts of the system.
Don't forget the need for a refrigerant handling certificate!
AlanB.

Andy W
22-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks Alan, I have been repairing car air con since 1980 :D and do have the gear as the bulk of my work is commercial, just seen loads of little garages spring up with charging stations and thought that may be an easier way, another way to put it is after 30 years :eek: in the fridge trade I have really had enough but dont know anything else, In 4 years I will be 50 and intend to really slow things down, when I started working for myself in 1998 I was doing loads of car a/c but gave it all away to start my brother in law off with his own business while I concentrated on the more lucrative end of the market but if I purchased a fancy machine now, when I come to "semi retire" in 4 years time I can offer a service from home recharging cars as well as other bits n bobs as I shall give my workshop up in the next couple of years, so that is my thinking behind obtaining a proper machine, sorry its long winded. :D

Alan B
22-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Hi Andy,
So you get a 2006 model year Merc on your drive at home, find and repair the leak etc - but have you got the dealer level serial diagnostic tool to communicate with the climate control computer to tell it you have effected a repair and please enable the system?
I think the electronics found in modern cars will defeat the re-gas brigade in a few years time!
AlanB

Karl Hofmann
22-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Andy, I agree with alan.. The car aircon market has become a pain in the butt unless you really love messing with car electronics.. The equipment suppliers have sold management stations by the truck load to garagemen who thought that they were going to make a killing on car ac only to discover that everyone had the same idea. I do the odd car on my drive way in the evening and repair the odd ac hose.. May push that a little more this summer. I wouldn't bother with a management station, they are designed for parts fitters, you can do the job with your kit unless you are going to have two or three on the go at the same time, in which case an automatic unit is handy, it can be recovering and evacuating whilst you are attending to another car... Check the price in stoke for a recharge, it is a pittance but OK for a little retired "Beer money"

Andy W
22-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Good point Karl, I didnt see it like that, will probably carry on as I am with the gear that I have got and have a re think. What else can I do for a living instead of fridge but will give me this lifestyle?