PDA

View Full Version : how to on/off a vrv system using card key for hotel

cr0okx
20-01-2008, 03:02 PM
hi, i'm new here. recently got onto a project to install a/c for a hotel. this is the 1st time i'm doing for hotels and i'm having problem to solve the issue of using card key to on/off the vrv system. anyone care to share with me some of the experiences and guilde a newbie like me? thanks alot for reading ;)

Josip
20-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi, cr0okx :)

Welcome to RE forums....

hi, i'm new here. recently got onto a project to install a/c for a hotel. this is the 1st time i'm doing for hotels and i'm having problem to solve the issue of using card key to on/off the vrv system. anyone care to share with me some of the experiences and guilde a newbie like me? thanks alot for reading ;)

usually there is some card slot (switch) to get the lights, TV, etc when you enter into hotel room, the same signal you can use to switch on/off A/C unit if I am right..., but how to do it.....why not ask VRV manufacturer for some help...

Best regards, Josip :)

Obi Wan
20-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Hello cr0okx,

On the VRV indoor units there are two terminals marked T1, T2. From the factory they are programmed to forced off. This means if you make a volt-free contact closed across T1 T2 the unit will stop.

If you reprogram the indoor unit with the field setting 12-1-02, it will set the T1 T2 terminals to ON/OFF control. Here you need a volt-free contact to close to switch ON the unit and the contact to open to switch OFF the unit.

See the attached jpg.

Regards

Obi Wan

The Viking
20-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Wow,
This always impress me.
On this forum you ask a question and, within half an hour, the answer has been posted.

nike123
20-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Hello cr0okx,

On the VRV indoor units there are two terminals marked T1, T2. From the factory they are programmed to forced off. This means if you make a volt-free contact closed across T1 T2 the unit will stop.

If you reprogram the indoor unit with the field setting 12-1-02, it will set the T1 T2 terminals to ON/OFF control. Here you need a volt-free contact to close to switch ON the unit and the contact to open to switch OFF the unit.

See the attached jpg.

Regards

Obi Wan

You are referring to certain model or manufacturer of VRV (VRF) equipment. It would be nice to say what model and manufacturer you referring, because, not all manufacturers or models have this function.

The Viking
20-01-2008, 06:03 PM
You are referring to certain model or manufacturer of VRV (VRF) equipment. It would be nice to say what model and manufacturer you referring, because, not all manufacturers or models have this function.

But Nike,
He did....
"VRV" is patented by Daikin and the advice Obi gave is true for all (modern) Daikin VRV systems.
All other manufacturers has to call their units something else than VRV, hence VRF.

To the best of my knowledge all major brands offers a similar function on their VRF systems but you might have to get some sort of interface board.

How this function is incorporated is a minor detail when it comes to choosing/recommending/specifying a big VRV/VRF job. The best you can do is to decide which manufacturer's system is the right solution for the job in question, then ask their supplier on how to best integrate it with whatever control options are required.

Obi Wan
20-01-2008, 06:13 PM

Dear nike123,

You make a good point, however I used the information provided by cr0okx to give the answer.

1, He refers to “VRV system”. VRV is of course a trade mark of Daikin Industries. If he had said VRF, then you would have to ask for the manufacturer.

2, He mentions “installing A/C in a hotel” and that it’s his first time. You could be forgiven to assume that it is new equipment he is installing.

So a new VRV system could mean VRV II or VRV III systems, both have the same indoor units so the function exists on both systems.

I could of course be wrong, but I think its an educated response.;)

Best regards

Obi Wan

cr0okx
20-01-2008, 06:17 PM

meaning not all model of VRV has this function? i have yet to know what model of VRV i'm using. manufacturer, daikin of cause. if this is so, i guess i'll have to post up the model after knowing which model i'm using.

Obi Wan
20-01-2008, 06:25 PM
meaning not all model of VRV has this function? i have yet to know what model of VRV i'm using. manufacturer, daikin of cause. if this is so, i guess i'll have to post up the model after knowing which model i'm using.

O.K so we know its defiantly a new Daikin VRV system. You will have this function on all normal VRV indoor units except the FXUQ-M + BEVQ-M (under ceiling 4 way blow) which strictly speaking is a Sky-Air model. These are the only units connected to a VRV system that do not have T1 T2 terminals.

Obi Wan

cr0okx
20-01-2008, 07:16 PM
O.K so we know its defiantly a new Daikin VRV system. You will have this function on all normal VRV indoor units except the FXUQ-M + BEVQ-M (under ceiling 4 way blow) which strictly speaking is a Sky-Air model. These are the only units connected to a VRV system that do not have T1 T2 terminals.

Obi Wan

so if i change the settings to on/off control, i can control on/off using the cardkey?

nike123
20-01-2008, 07:39 PM
But Nike,
He did....
"VRV" is patented by Daikin and the advice Obi gave is true for all (modern) Daikin VRV systems.
All other manufacturers has to call their units something else than VRV, hence VRF.

I didn't know that VRV is Daikin patented name (or I didn't paying attention :o).
I always taught that this only mean VRV=Variable Refrigerant Volume and VRV=Variable Refrigerant Flow

Obi Wan
20-01-2008, 10:08 PM
so if i change the settings to on/off control, i can control on/off using the cardkey?

Yes :):):):):):):) (10 Characters)

Brian_UK
20-01-2008, 11:13 PM
The card key contractor should show you which switch outputs he has available for use.

sinewave
21-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Despite Daikin patening the term VRV they are actualy wrong! :rolleyes:

VRV - Variable Refrigerant Volume, is not really correct! The 'Volume' of the system doesn't actualy change and so the term (technicaly) is wrong! ;)

VRF - Variable Refrigerant Flow, (Mitsi etc etc) is a far more technical correct description of the process in hand!

BTW OP

Any system can be setup easily for Key card use VFR or even a common Split unit.

A simple contactor can be used to isolate/energise the supply from the unit on entry/exit and the correct setting of the dip swiches will ensure that the unit will restart where it left off when power is re-applied exactly the same way as if there was a power cut! :D

frank
21-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Any system can be setup easily for Key card use VFR or even a common Split unit.

A simple contactor can be used to isolate/energise the supply from the unit on entry/exit and the correct setting of the dip swiches will ensure that the unit will restart where it left off when power is re-applied exactly the same way as if there was a power cut! :D
If you cut the supply to an indoor unit on a VRV/VRF unit it will cause a fault that will shut the whole system down. :eek:

We've been called out to many a system where the bloke sitting in his office has flicked the local isolator instead of just using the controller :rolleyes:

sinewave
21-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Sorry Frank, didn't explain that bit too well! :o

The 'Contactor' bit was in relation to a split system, not a VRF system.

Your right in that case the manuf's integral volt free switching should be used. :p

frank
21-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Gotcha :)

ozairman
23-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I didn't know that VRV is Daikin patented name (or I didn't paying attention :o).
I always taught that this only mean VRV=Variable Refrigerant Volume and VRV=Variable Refrigerant Flow

Nike I'm on your side, too many people call any VRV/VRF/City Multi/Eco Multi or whatever a "VRV". If you want the right answer then ask the question so people can get the right info rather than shooting of on tangents about what it could or could not be. An old colleague of mine always used to say "Don't assume as you will make an Ass out of U and Me" I have found it to be sage advice over the years as even now I will be talking to a tech on the phone and they will swear black and blue that something is XYZ, which when you say "No go up on the roof and read the letters and numbers out to me off the side of the unit" often ends up being "ABC"

nike123
23-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Nike I'm on your side, too many people call any VRV/VRF/City Multi/Eco Multi or whatever a "VRV". If you want the right answer then ask the question so people can get the right info rather than shooting of on tangents about what it could or could not be. An old colleague of mine always used to say "Don't assume as you will make an Ass out of U and Me" I have found it to be sage advice over the years as even now I will be talking to a tech on the phone and they will swear black and blue that something is XYZ, which when you say "No go up on the roof and read the letters and numbers out to me off the side of the unit" often ends up being "ABC"

I always say to my colleagues "don't assume anything because assuming is mother of all hick-ups (dirty words are not allowed here)", especially in service business.;)

bangoman
24-01-2008, 10:20 AM
we currently installing Agean inverters in hotel apartments they have such system and the sparky says he wired such that they wired in series with the live feed to the INDOOR unit and will only cut off INDOOR unit.