PDA

View Full Version : complete System Recovery

absolute-zero
19-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I have been fighting with my computer for the last 6 months, repairing drivers and os files. The signifgent other, allowed the sytem to go with out virus protection for the last 6 months.

I cleaned up all registries but no luck, constantly getting driver errors as such, couldnt install or uninstall programs, what a nightmare it has been.

So i tell the better half im going to have to ferfrm a total refromat of the hardrive and OS, and i need the recovery disk that came with the PC, she had lost the CD.

Got on the phone with Gatewayhad to order a recovery disk, the cost $20 dollars US. I thought to my self why the heck would they not post a system recover disk for download on there support page.

Any way i am finding most sytems these days especially laptops are already come with the recovery program allocated to another drive.

I just think it sucks that PC oems dont have that kind of support located on there websites for download.

I had almost 120 gig of information to back up, so i went and purchased another 160 gig portable external harddrive to back up all my file that were created.

I think to myself all systems go. I perform the recovery on the harddrive and bring back to condition it was coming out of the box new, I quickly install my norton 360 to start protecting it and update all hardware drivers and windows updates, all sytems are go at this point, im very satisfied that the computer is working well now. I go to scan all backed up data on my next external harddrive for viruses and or file errors before i bring back to my pcs hard drive, guess what?

My new hard drive crashed or took a sh%t during the transfer, only was able to save 6 gig of info out of 120.:(

Its all gone, I am ready to shoot myself..... as all my lively hood documents are gone pics manauals programs, you name it, its gone.

Luckily though I have several back up hardrives and was able to get 90% of all my stuff back but the signefgant other lost everything..

I guess she learned a valuable lesson as so did I, dont go with out virus protection.

A-Z

Josip
19-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi, absolute-zero :)

sorry about your accident....I've been in the same school many years ago....my son by accident erased all my data.....

I have been fighting with my computer for the last 6 months,................

I go to scan all backed up data on my next external harddrive for viruses and or file errors before i bring back to my pcs hard drive, guess what?

My new hard drive crashed or took a sh%t during the transfer, only was able to save 6 gig of info out of 120.:(

A-Z

....I don't want to be clever now it is too late......but, why you not check your backup data before formating your HD i.e. immediately after copying/transfer with some other PC/laptop.........

Best regards, Josip :)

absolute-zero
19-01-2008, 10:43 PM

sorry about your accident....I've been in the same school many years ago....my son by accident erased all my data.....

....I don't want to be clever now it is too late......but, why you not check your backup data before formating your HD i.e. immediately after copying/transfer with some other PC/laptop.........

I had verified all data was transfered and even hooked up to my laptop to secondly verify it was all there.

The problem of it was, the external hardrive failed unexpectedly during the file transfer back.

Basically the harddrive quit working, Muck like buying a new auto driving it for a few days and have it get totaled by a mack truck. I was able to take back to best buy and get it repalced, but with out all my data.:(

A-Z

Josip
19-01-2008, 10:49 PM

I had verified all data was transfered and even hooked up to my laptop to secondly verify it was all there.

The problem of it was, the external hardrive failed unexpectedly during the file transfer back.

Basically the harddrive quit working, Muck like buying a new auto driving it for a few days and have it get totaled by a mack truck. I was able to take back to best buy and get it repalced, but with out all my data.:(

A-Z

sorry, you really had a bad luck....for sure that will happened to many of us...no one expect brand new HD to fail after couple of hours...

absolute-zero
19-01-2008, 10:58 PM

sorry, you really had a bad luck....for sure that will happened to many of us...no one expect brand new HD to fail after couple of hours...

Thanks for the sympathy my friend.:rolleyes:

josef
19-01-2008, 10:59 PM
HI Josip, cap down, do you know everything :D

nike123
20-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Maybe on your backup hard drive only electronics are wrong and data on magnetic discs are still there. So you could take this disk to some specialized company for data retrieval and they are able to dig up all data. If it is important data, maybe it is worth vile to try find such a company.

Josip
20-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi, Josef :)

HI Josip, cap down, do you know everything :D

definitely not...,but collect a lot of mine and other's good and less good experience ;)

Maybe on your backup hard drive only electronics are wrong and data on magnetic discs are still there. So you could take this disk to some specialized company for data retrieval and they are able to dig up all data. If it is important data, maybe it is worth vile to try find such a company.

this is good suggestion...I remember one (40GB) mini external connection and power USB HD I had.....
I cannot use it until I connect it with the cable with 2 (two USB) outlets on laptop because the power from only one was not enough to recognize it at all.., but if you have external power supply....anyhow why not try it is 120GB of data....maybe you can share some with us too;)...wish you a good luck

The Viking
20-01-2008, 02:57 PM
A-Z,

Shouldn't the lesson learnt be to never trust the other half with important things, like anti virus software and scans?

(I learnt this ages ago, much the same way as you)

absolute-zero
20-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Viking,

Im 35 years old and am continuly still learning lifes little lessons of mishaps,trust and betrayal.

Josip Nike,

Thanks for the advise, I have already tried all the suugestions you mention except for specialized hard disk retrieval experts, its a bit late now as i have turned in the bad HD with a new HD.

Luckily I have good memry and remeber, all of the data that was lost, I am now back up to where i was, before i lost all the data. Only took a few weeks to get what was lost back.

A-Z