PDA

View Full Version : Problems buying Hydrocarbons

Tony
19-01-2008, 11:30 AM
We have had a lot of enquiries about training on R600a and the like and this is from people who have already done their C&G 2078.

They tell us that when trying to buy hydrocarbon refrigerants, the company they are trying to buy from won't accept their 2078 as sufficient and want them to do their own course on handling hydrocarbons.

I don't want to name the company, but they are a very big refrigerant supplier whose main depot is up near the river humber.

Have other people had any problems?

Andy W
27-01-2008, 08:33 PM
On my 2078 the safe usage of hydracarbons was not mentioned, I did the hydracarbon course recently and I personally think that if you intend to work with it you owe it to the safety of those around you who may be affected by your actions whilst working with hydracarbons, engineers should do the course or at least read the course notes or have training from someone who has done it.

R600a can be purchased across the counter at many wholesalers, R290 or the CARE branded goods are only available from BOC or HRP gasses (still BOC)

One of the reasosn that I did the course was if I was working on an hydracarbon system and something went wrong and someone was injured and the HSE got involved and wanted to see proof of competence or training and I had none, they would sue my backside, for £155 it is worth doing.

Tony
28-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Andy W

On my 2078 the safe usage of hydracarbons was not mentioned,

This is one of the problems - there are training centres out there that are not carrying out 2078 courses properly.

Everyboby who has achieved their 2078 should have covered HCs both in training and in the assessment process.

pendlesteve
06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Tony is absolutely correct. To achieve C&G2078 you must cover hydrocarbon refrigerants.
Anyone taking the assessment in future would be well advised to check the centre covers HC's.

wilks
07-05-2008, 10:47 PM
[quote=pendlesteve;104560]Tony is absolutely correct. To achieve C&G2078 you must cover hydrocarbon refrigerants.
Anyone taking the assessment in future would be well advised to check the centre covers HC's.[/quote

we did our 2078 in technique at chesterfield , there was information about hydrocarbons in the couse but we never used any in a practical sense.The couse manual gave examples , but that was realy to pass the muli choice test. So to be honest im none of the wiser were hydrocarbons are concerned , good job i dont deal with them , bit pissed off now tho and feellike ive been a bit cheated:mad::mad:

Sturt
08-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Tony

I have come up against this issue recently with the purchase of hydrocarbons.

Working for a Danish company who have manufactured equipment with 290/600 for some time they are pushing for the UK to accept but there are lots of issues with tooling/training and purchasing.

My understanding and recent experience is that HRP will only accept the BOC photo ID card, but as everyone righly comments HC are covered on the 2078 course (Or not which is a failure of the trainer).

I see the real problem is getting the HC suppliers to agree on what form of ID proves competence......

It will change when this refrigerant becomes more common place for sure but people are still very careful when it comes to accpeting responsability should something go wrong. There is no hard and fast guidlines.

Sturt.

Latte
08-05-2008, 11:26 PM
The problem is that they are trying to sure up the rules over the sales of refrigerent and with hydrocarbons being fairly new with limited suppliers it was an easy place to start. 2078 should cover it, but for those who done this some years ago, it didnt. Obviously it now does and i think everyone who has done the old 2078 needs to get it done again before 2011

In theory, BOC and HRP should only supply to anyone with a BOC badge, Personally i think all gases should be sold like this. I was sceptical about the Care course, many people told me it would be a waste of time, but i actually done it yesterday and found it very good (Apart from the course was in Tewksbury and i live in Newmarket for a 4 hour course).

At the end of the day, BOC have bought out the Care name and being the only supplier its up to them how they sell it

Regards

Fatboy

BOCman
21-05-2008, 11:08 AM
If you've passed your driving test, and learnt about highway safety etc, who wouldn't expect , even after years of safe car driving, to be able to jump into a HGV and drive it without further training on the unique hazards associated with handling a similar but wholly different product.

C&G 2078 is a requirement of the ODS legislation, and is an assessment of an engineers competance in the safe handling of ozone depleting substances ( fluorinated gases ). Whilst hydrocarbons may be discussed, their handling is not strictly part of the 2078 qualification. So, BOC/ HRP require that anyone wishing to buy CARE products receive specific training in the safe use and handling of hydrocarbons.

One is a currently a legal requirement ( 2078 ) and one is part of BOC's product stewardship as a responsible supplier.
Even the new training requirement does not contain any compulsory element in the handling of hydrocarbons.

BOC & HRP will continue to only supply its CARE products to those who have attended its approved course .