PDA

View Full Version : Fredrick Jones "Thermo King invention"

absolute-zero
19-01-2008, 12:09 AM
It was a modest invention... but it changed a planet.

An engine, a compressor, a condenser. What if you hooked them up to cool the inside of a trailer instead of the inside of a refrigerator? During the hot Minneapolis summer of 1938, Frederick M. Jones created that first Thermo King unit to get freshly-killed chickens to market without spoilage.

His invention worked so well that it spawned entire industries: frozen food, fast food, container shipping. Millions, who had never eaten anything grown beyond a 50-mile radius, now enjoyed the food of the world. Millions more, who had known only marginal, now ate healthy and fresh.

It was a modest invention, but it transformed the expectations of the world. Never again would people be content with mere subsistence. Food became pleasure.

Regards A-Z

Brian_UK
19-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Millions, who had never eaten anything grown beyond a 50-mile radius, now enjoyed the food of the world..... and thousands lost their jobs because trade went down...

It's always good to hear how some things started, thanks.

I seem to remember a tale about a medical product that came about because some lab technician dropped something into his coffee. Having recovered it he found that the water/coffee/sugar mix had turned his item into the "wonder-drug."

Will
19-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I've often wondered what he looked like.

Frederick M. Jones
1892-1961

http://www.northstar.k12.ak.us/schools/ryn/projects/inventors/jones/jones.gif http://www.northstar.k12.ak.us/schools/ryn/projects/inventors/jones/jones_portrait.gif

taz24
19-01-2008, 07:09 PM
I seem to remember a tale about a medical product that came about because some lab technician dropped something into his coffee. Having recovered it he found that the water/coffee/sugar mix had turned his item into the "wonder-drug."

Brian, it was called the digestive buscuit :D.

taz.

absolute-zero
19-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I've often wondered what he looked like.

Frederick M. Jones
1892-1961

http://www.northstar.k12.ak.us/schools/ryn/projects/inventors/jones/jones.gif http://www.northstar.k12.ak.us/schools/ryn/projects/inventors/jones/jones_portrait.gif

Yep thats what he looked like. May the great inventor F.M.J rest in peace.;)

A-Z

absolute-zero
19-01-2008, 07:33 PM
I think this is a good thread and even when i read back the article, I forget to mention what the Thermo King and other Transport refrigeration unit has done aside from brining foods to market worlwide in optimum condition.

1. Preserving expensive Art, by humidity and temperature control during transport.

2. Preserving pharmacutacles in transport that help with sickness as well save lives around the world.

3. Preserving delicate electronics and other delicate machinary that require humidity and climate control.

Its amazing what most of us take for granted in our simple day to day lives, with out TRU the world would not be what it is today.

A-Z

taz24
19-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I think this is a good thread and even when i read back the article, I forget to mention what the Thermo King and other Transport refrigeration unit has done aside from brining foods to market worlwide in optimum condition.

1. Preserving expensive Art, by humidity and temperature control during transport.

2. Preserving pharmacutacles in transport that help with sickness as well save lives around the world.

3. Preserving delicate electronics and other delicate machinary that require humidity and climate control.

Its amazing what most of us take for granted in our simple day to day lives, with out TRU the world would not be what it is today.

A-Z

You could take it one step further and include car air-conditioning.

Cheers taz.

absolute-zero
19-01-2008, 08:32 PM
You could take it one step further and include car air-conditioning.

Cheers taz.

Yep most of us take that for granted as well.

Comfort and convience.

Regards A-Z

Brian_UK
20-01-2008, 02:28 AM
I suppose that when you think about the transportation of foodstuffs it must have helped the producers grow.

Cattle etc. could now be moved as an end product instead of having to be moved as livestock.

Vegetables could also reach a wider market before spoiling. So the items could be grown in the most favourable locations.

absolute-zero
20-01-2008, 02:36 AM
I suppose that when you think about the transportation of foodstuffs it must have helped the producers grow.

Cattle etc. could now be moved as an end product instead of having to be moved as livestock.

Vegetables could also reach a wider market before spoiling. So the items could be grown in the most favourable locations.

Yes absolutly that is the big picture here.;)

Will
20-01-2008, 03:12 AM
I'll give the man full credit for marketing the idea and producing a product, but he wasn't the first to do so.
It'd be like saying Bill Gates invented the PC.

1925-1930
http://www33.brinkster.com/iiiii/inventions/reftranstimeline.asp

http://www33.brinkster.com/iiiii/inventions/reftruck.asp

Will
20-01-2008, 03:22 AM
http://livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe40s/money_14.html

In 1938 a Minneapolis trucking executive, Harry Werner, was playing golf with a manufacturer of movie theatre sound systems, Joseph Numero. Werner was complaining about the huge losses his company was experiencing trying to get butchered chickens to market in the hot weather. No one knows exactly which man said it – "There ought to be a way to refrigerate a trailer." That comment led to a host of new industries and products.

Werner loaned one of his trailers to Numero, who brought in his mechanics to work on the problem. By 1941, they had patented designs for a shock-resistant refrigeration unit that would be mounted on the trailer. Numero quit the movie business and formed U.S. Thermo Control Company.

Soon, the new company had exclusive contracts with the U.S. military to ship food to the troops. That contract kept the company and the industry alive. The company is now named Thermo King. One of Thermo King's ten assembly plants is now in Hastings, Nebraska.

Will
20-01-2008, 03:33 AM
http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communities/History/Landmarks/3513.pdf

absolute-zero
20-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Will
you are a plethera of information;)

Regards A-Z

Will
20-01-2008, 04:03 AM
The last link I posted, picture on the bottom of page 6.

The face of that very, very early compressor sure looks familiar. :)

Some things NEVER change.

absolute-zero
20-01-2008, 04:17 AM
The last link I posted, picture on the bottom of page 6.

The face of that very, very early compressor sure looks familiar. :)

Some things NEVER change.

Yeah it looks like a 426 core. :D still looks the same.

The now X426 that replaced 426 compressor can still be found in SB 110, and TK climate control sytems found in Transit busses here in north america.

A-Z

kg4yub
22-01-2008, 09:31 PM
good reading jogged a # of cobwebs in the cranium but seen no mention of other underdogs trane transicold etc prior to carriers absorption. no pun intended also wasnt tk marketed as petters in UK 30+ yrs ago ? will you seem well versed in this professions past any links info? regards butch

absolute-zero
22-01-2008, 09:48 PM
will you seem well versed in this professions past any links info? regards butch

I agree, Will is a well rounded unique idividual with a lot of information, in regards to this specific proffession.

I thought his history lesson was very interesting;)

Regards A-Z

thermo prince
23-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Petters from Southampton was the UK licensee of the TK 3 way valve system and the 4L / early 426 compressors with the ringless piston-sleeve (called Vanasil <vanadium-silicon content> design.
Any yes Will, your memory is good - TRANE also had license to manufacture a unit with 426 which ceased sometime in 1980's.
Those old Petter PDL and Coolstream 6500 etc all had 426/x426 types with BMC diesel motors then later Kubota s if I recall.
TK Corp then bought the ( almots bankrupt) Petters company in late 1980's then shut it down in 90's. Any useful products in the old Petter portfolio were integrated into TK. They used to have some clever hydraulic design HY units. SD truck was later dropped in deference to the original CD/MD/KD designs of TK.
We wont even talk of the Coolstream or those infamous undermount units done for ASDA early multitemps
( question ? what ever became of Gus Ormerod from Petters)

PS Will - TK on record as the first self powered vapour compression system that could go on the highways. The earlier dates were for electric, marine powered etc variants.

PSS Fred Jones was the mechanical genius that Joe Numero put together with a few other mechanics to build that first self powered road unit after the golf game challenge with Werner.
That's why if you visit TM MPLS Hq, you will most likey attend seminars in the Joe NUMERO auditorium - Numero was early VP and Jones was Engineering VP of the early Thermo Control -> Thermo King Corp. :)

regards
T-P

absolute-zero
23-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Petters from Southampton was the UK licensee of the TK 3 way valve system and the 4L / early 426 compressors with the ringless piston-sleeve (called Vanasil <vanadium-silicon content> design.
Any yes Will, your memory is good - TRANE also had license to manufacture a unit with 426 which ceased sometime in 1980's.
Those old Petter PDL and Coolstream 6500 etc all had 426/x426 types with BMC diesel motors then later Kubota s if I recall.
TK Corp then bought the ( almots bankrupt) Petters company in late 1980's then shut it down in 90's. Any useful products in the old Petter portfolio were integrated into TK. They used to have some clever hydraulic design HY units. SD truck was later dropped in deference to the original CD/MD/KD designs of TK.
We wont even talk of the Coolstream or those infamous undermount units done for ASDA early multitemps
( question ? what ever became of Gus Ormerod from Petters)

PS Will - TK on record as the first self powered vapour compression system that could go on the highways. The earlier dates were for electric, marine powered etc variants.

PSS Fred Jones was the mechanical genius that Joe Numero put together with a few other mechanics to build that first self powered road unit after the golf game challenge with Werner.
That's why if you visit TM MPLS Hq, you will most likey attend seminars in the Joe NUMERO auditorium - Numero was early VP and Jones was Engineering VP of the early Thermo Control -> Thermo King Corp. :)

regards
T-P

T-P
Dont forget the new R&D center in memeory of FMJ last July 2007.:D

thermo prince
23-01-2008, 01:11 PM
yes AZ thanx for addition. :)

Also Numero was first President, I need to correct my earlier mention of 1st VP. :)

Here's a small pix collage that show's some of old gear - unit shown is the original Model A , I believe.
Also shows Fred and Joe looking at early 4L block

best regards
T-P

absolute-zero
24-01-2008, 10:24 PM
yes AZ thanx for addition. :)

Also Numero was first President, I need to correct my earlier mention of 1st VP. :)

Here's a small pix collage that show's some of old gear - unit shown is the original Model A , I believe.
Also shows Fred and Joe looking at early 4L block

best regards
T-P

TK website has a real impressive history time line on all there success since 1938 til present.

Regards A-Z

Will
26-01-2008, 06:41 PM

But but but......

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/willphotoalbum/1932.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/willphotoalbum/1937.jpg

Will
26-01-2008, 08:06 PM
any links info?

Just the 1940's section of this page.

http://www.container.carrier.com/details/1,,CLI1_DIV9_ETI4827_PRET,00.html

absolute-zero
28-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Hi Will,

Nice posts, I beleive i read in a thread somewhere where you worked for both TK and Carrier dealer, does my memory stand correct?:confused:

Any way im thinking of inventing some stuff here in the near future to improve both product lines here in the northeast related to fuel issues.

I have some customers already to buy....:D

Will
28-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Yes, correct. Spent some time in both shops.

Cool, anything related to saving fuel will turn some heads.

absolute-zero
28-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Yes, correct. Spent some time in both shops.

Cool, anything related to saving fuel will turn some heads.

How long have you been out of the dealerships Will?

I just recently left a TK dealership of 12 years. I almost went to work for the CTC dealership around 4-5 years ago, but I had a high level of guilt for considering.

That whole changing teams deal is alot like treason in my area.

Yeah my invention wont be for saving fuel it will be more for reduced breakdowns due to fuel related issues in 20f degree or less ambient conditions.

It is common here for customers costs to hike in the winter time due to fuel gelling issues, and other ULSD fuel related issues.

Regards A-Z

TOTTIHS
02-02-2008, 09:12 PM
[quote=thermo prince;90560]

Please lets talk about them (especially the P6100U)it may help to save me some of the psycharist bills & the nightmares never mind coming home going straight to the shower & washing so much oil/grime that if I did it today I think I would have envoirenmental officer wondering why I was dumping oil straight down the drains:eek::eek::eek:

absolute-zero
03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
[quote=thermo prince;90560]

Please lets talk about them (especially the P6100U)it may help to save me some of the psycharist bills & the nightmares never mind coming home going straight to the shower & washing so much oil/grime that if I did it today I think I would have envoirenmental officer wondering why I was dumping oil straight down the drains:eek::eek::eek:

Hmmmm did some one recently service a coolstream?:(

A-Z