PDA

View Full Version : Prestcold head bolt torque?

monkey spanners
18-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi,

Anybody know the correct torque for prestcold L300/0042 compressor head bolts? Must be about 50ft/lbs as my bolt gun will just about undo them. Got a head gasket to change on monday on a system that has lost most of its charge over six weeks or so. Have had the system on pressure test all day and no sign of a leak:confused:
I've disconnected one of the evaporators that i suspect is leaking and will see if it has lost any pressure over the week its been left.

The only sign of a leak i could find was around three of the head bolts hence the gasket repalcement and some oil around the hp t fitting in the head which i'll reseal. None of which looked bad enough to cause 6kg to go awol:(

Cheers Jon

old gas bottle
18-01-2008, 05:43 PM
dont think there that cruciel,50 sounds pretty good though, done hundreds by just feel!, have you leak tested the "O" ring on the terminal block, they get overlooked and often leak,otherwise the oil sightglass,but thats easy to see, good luck :)

monkey spanners
18-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Had a check around the terminal area, on these i think the three terminal pins are fused to the plate that goes under the electrical box and sealed by a gasket, but i can remember changing one of those 'o' rings before so i'll check again. The oil sight glass is ok, its a four bolt one and i've yet to see one leak.
I really think the leak is in the milk tank but its about a grand to get the stainless welder guy out plus early milk colection etc so want to be sure:( The tank has been welded before and they don't get any better with age....

I normaly just do the bolts up by hand too but was taking a belt and braces aproace as this is turning into 'one of those jobs':mad:

Cheers Jon

GHAZ
19-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Hello monkey spanners i always did them about 45ft lbs the older compressors had 3/8 unf bolts and then they changed to 3/8 unc.

monkey spanners
19-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Cheers Ghaz,

These will be 3/8 unf as its a really old body, would have been painted green originaly when new. I wonder if the thread pitch was changed when the coated metal gaskets became popular.

Cheers Jon

monkey spanners
21-01-2008, 07:12 PM
The milk tank has lost all but 5psi of the ofn so the leak is in the tank. Time to phone the stainless welder.
Fitted the new head gaskets and apart from poking a hole in my thumb on the discharge valve lockwire whilst scraping the old gasket of, it went ok.

Cheers Jon

taz24
21-01-2008, 08:03 PM
The milk tank has lost all but 5psi of the ofn so the leak is in the tank. Time to phone the stainless welder.
Fitted the new head gaskets and apart from poking a hole in my thumb on the discharge valve lockwire whilst scraping the old gasket of, it went ok.

Cheers Jon

Just tighten one till it snaps then tighten the others just a bit less:D:D:D:D:D

taz

For the piece of mind of the Moderators.
Under no circumstances must anyone overtighten any bolt on any part of the compressor. Infact no bolt should ever be overtightend ever ever ever.

taz:p:p:p