PDA

View Full Version : uv lights

stiz
16-01-2008, 01:43 AM
I would appreciate some thoughts on the use of Hvac uv lights in a residential heating/ac system. What is a good brand and what about the proper placement in the system. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

The Viking
16-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Are we talking U/V light to kill off bacteria or to find leaks?

stiz
16-01-2008, 03:37 AM
The kind that kill bacteria.

thermo prince
16-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Hi Stiz,
It's a subject I personally am also quite interested in, from a transport application perspective.
It, along with other germicidal-fungicidal ideas was a hot topic during the SARS outbreak some years back.
In the past, have read up on the STERILAIRE (from California) website and they have some interesting case histories.
There's also Atlantic UltraViolet.

Challenge for transport would be the Hg Mercury tubes - thought of shattering those in a crowded train or bus ceiling rtn air grille is a worry.

Of course for residential or commercial building, this potential vibration from movement & flexing is not an issue.

This is not in any way an endorsement of SterilAire or Atlantic UV products. Just somewhere to start in your quest. I have not used these products for any trials yet.

best regards
T-P

rajikoshy
05-02-2010, 03:18 AM
I have been doing research with ultraviolet light, if any one needs information or help, write to me- and i will give information, be specific with your question please.

danc
12-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks and Hi Rajikoshy...Do have a type of UVC / air purifier that help to eliminate the smoke as well? Help me also installation guide...evap coil, or floor mtd application..manual will be good reference.

matthewthirlwel
12-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I worked for a company that manufactured triple filtered chilled water vending machines. A U V light was immersed into the holding water tank. it killled all micro organisms crypto spyridium etc. I am sure incorporated into a system it would be a benefit. perhaps in the condensate drip tray to counteract leigonnairres disease. from contaminated water blown as minute droplets out. Its only my thought but a good idea I think?

K.R.Iyer
15-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I would appreciate some thoughts on the use of Hvac uv lights in a residential heating/ac system. What is a good brand and what about the proper placement in the system. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

In a recent hospital AC project in India, the UV lamps were applied inside the AHU, downstream of chilled water coil. When I google searched more information, I understood that big brands like Trane, McQuay etc. also talk of applying UV lamp in AHU. One USA web page talks of some US govt. recommendation of using UV lamp in govt. buildings for healthy environment.

I think we need to understand the safety aspects first before applying it. I could not get much information on this safety aspect in my web search. Some of the big brands who are applying it, may be knowing a bit more in detail.