PDA

View Full Version : Question for any employers

Xx Mike69 xX
14-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Due to a job layoff, the state is paying me to go to school for hvac, as well as paying me to do so. However, they only give you so much time, from your layoff date, to graduate. Then, they cut off all funding and unemployment compensation.

To make a long story short, due to my layoff date, I started school a semester late. That only gave me 18 months to graduate. Unfortunately, I am going to be 1 class (Trigonometry) short of graduating when the state pulls my funding and cuts my unemployment compensation.

The bottom line is, I'm going to have to try and find a job without my degree. (Until I take trig.) Under these circumstances, would you still hire me? I'm sure I could get a referral from my hvac instructor. I have also taken and passed my EPA exam. (Universal) I have A's in all HVAC related courses and A's and B's in all college related courses.

Thanks for bearing my long post. I just wanted to articulate the situation so you could understand. I would appreciate any feedback you could provide.

-Mike

Argus
14-01-2008, 01:16 AM

Being British, I don't know the answer to your question.

Personally I don't give that much credence to paper qualifications when interviewing. It's nice to have, but A lot of it down to instinct. If you can convince me that you have the ability or experience, then it's worth a punt.....

but good luck, study hard and keep posting.

The Viking
14-01-2008, 03:00 AM
I fully agree with Argus.

If you got the right attitude and we need staff you would get the job regardless of papers.

(Before we make our minds up about an applicant, we go and ask the girls in reception what they thought. After all, if you can't sell yourself to them, how will you sell our company to our customers)

Ashley
16-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I agree with Argus and Viking in those matters, however I have found that in the parts of US and Canada that I have visited it seems to be paperwork and quals that are the starting point there. I tried getting jobs there a few years ago before I had my quals (I took the long route of day release, even for degree) but noone was interested. Different mentality.

I am thankful that a company here give me a chance when I had very little and I am ever thankful to an old boss for the way he directed and moulded me to where I am now.

Another annoying thing is that it didn't seem possible to bring my CEng from here to Canada without being made a little boy again and work under supervision with a 'Professional Engineer' for a prolonged period.

I always say, give me a guy(oops..sexist) ok.. PERSON who has no quals and a good track record rather than a person with all quals and little experience.