PDA

View Full Version : Those were the days

LRAC
13-01-2008, 06:51 PM
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding three up on a push bike was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate bread pudding, white bread and real butter and drank lemonade with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because...WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go karts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computer s, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents .

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given air guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

School sports teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Thinking caps on, what have I missed out?

US Iceman
13-01-2008, 08:49 PM
It sure sounds like the neighborhood I grew up in.

You did forget one hobby though... killing snakes with sticks or running over them with our bicycles was always an outstanding thrill too.:eek:

We later learned some of them were poisonous and had serious attitudes when backed into a corner....:o

paul_h
13-01-2008, 09:03 PM
If you had that much fun and freedom, why did you turn into the lawyers and government that created this modern society? Why did you turn into the parents that are litigous and take their kid to macdonalds every day?
Why are you spoiling your children?
Why did you buy all those junk toys for your kids so they stay indoors?
:)
Kids today have changed because the parents have changed. Those parents were the kids that grew up in the older days.

Josip
13-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi, all :)

yes, seems very strange, we are still alive today:eek: in spite all poisoned food bad drinks given to us by our parents....and many other very dangerous acts..

....very resistible generations....

Best regards, Josip :)

Pooh
13-01-2008, 09:51 PM
LRAC
sorry mate but Paul H has got a point, although as one of those mentioned that survived my kids are and were always encouraged to go out to play so me and their mum could have some time to our selves, or was that the cause of the kids in the first place.

YES THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD!!!!

Ian

bernard
13-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi LRAC

I,m always boring my kids with stories of my childhood LOL,But you tend to remeber only the good times.I think if I was taken into the future and shown a playstation I,d have park my back side down and never moved.So its up to us parents of today to get our Kids outdoors as I do.

I think the main thing I remember is coming home to a mum and not an empty house.

Good Thread cheers

Bernard

nike123
13-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Kids today have changed because the parents have changed. Those parents were the kids that grew up in the older days.

I could not agree more!

taz24
14-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Thinking caps on, what have I missed out?

From a very young age I was allowed air rifles
and as a teen my dad made me a crossbow that was so powerfull it would fire bolts through thin sheet metal.
I had motor bikes and played over the fields for hours and hours at a time with no adult supervision.
We played war using the air rifles (when I was in my 30's a lump started to apear on my uper arm.
Doctor cut out a lead pellet that had started to fester after 20 or so years inside me) just another war wound.

but joking apart a friend of mine was crushed to death out side my house by an articulated lorry, so its not all seen through rose tinted glasses.

taz.

The MG Pony
14-01-2008, 02:24 PM
From a very young age I was allowed air rifles
and as a teen my dad made me a crossbow that was so powerfull it would fire bolts through thin sheet metal.
I had motor bikes and played over the fields for hours and hours at a time with no adult supervision.

taz.

Sounds like me only it was rockets with enough HE in them to rattle the buildings a couple Km away :D and such other fun chem class concoctions.

Thats my hypotheses on why so many morons are around, we don't let the stupid ones kill them selfs off any more, all of them are over coddled with no concept of personal responsibility or how things work like cause and effect!

grump
19-01-2008, 01:31 PM
North East Scotland Kirriemuir A window in Thrums,
JM Barry Peter Pan,
You have opened a can of worms 1945 i remember the soldiers marching,the threat of invasion,The loss of a family member HMS Galatea to a U boat of Alexandria,The evacuation of Crete when the German airborne decided to drop, my uncle was there they killed over 800 out of the 900 who tried to take the airport at Heraclion.A visit to the German cemetery at Melame on the island will remind you of the good old days three brothers are buried there ages 17,19,22.
As children we all had skin complaints,bed,lice,head bugs,
boils,mumps,whooping cough,worms,impetigo was rife,food rationing,the good old days.My aunt had a breakdown because of the loss of her baby brother
of Alexandria
As children we had very little, as parents we over compensated by giving what we thought we were deprived of.
So in the meantime tell your children that you love them on a regular basis,give them your time,praise them at every opportunity and perhaps they wont end up looking out of the window in Thrums.
Sorry to dump this on you but you have hit a nerve ending with this contribution. Grump:D:D:D

taz24
19-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Sorry to dump this on you but you have hit a nerve ending with this contribution. Grump:D:D:D

You are correct Grump.

as bad as it was and it was a struggle, you could.

Shout at a group of youths for throwing stones at ducks without being arrested for causing a disturbance.

You could defend youself, others and your property without ending in jail.

You did not get sued because a scrote robbed you, hurt himself inthe process and claims damages.

I could go on.

taz.