PDA

View Full Version : Van insurance and gas ?

get the gauges
09-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I have been trying for van insurance today and have a 313cdi sprinter,i have the best quote as 'more than business' at £1004,fully comp + any driver,clean licence, 1 accident (by ungrateful ex-apprentice on my policy,don't start me on kids), and the big one carrying explosive and hazardous substances. Two subby mates of mine admitted to not mentioning oxy acetylene and gases, does anybody else have any better solutions. My mate has a £14k vito one driver and doesn't declare the hazardous stuff and gets £750. Thoughts.

monkey spanners
10-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Got my insurance through nfu, also got 150 knocked off when i put my sister on as a named driver?? Think its around 700

The Viking
10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Only one problem with insurance companies.
When they get a claims form in, they don't start thinking about the poor engineer who is stuffed without a van, oh no, instead they start to look for any minor detail that may help them reduce the claim or stop any payouts all together.

Oh Sir, you had gases in your van but that wasn't listed.....You can see what's going to happen, can't you.

And you think you can keep it a secret?
Forget about it.
One of our guys were involved in a crash about a year ago (Not his fault, meeting car overtook and hit him square on). As it was close to the office, we had other vans there before the police arrived. But, we were not allowed to remove anything from the van, it had to be towed straight to the police compound as it had been driven. Only after they had weighed it and done a forensic on it were we allowed to collect the tools and other bits.
(Thankfully our engineer got away with only minor scrapes)

get the gauges
10-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Well i think if your going to have it then have it large, i'll try nfu though thanks for the tip.

norfolkboy
10-01-2008, 12:41 AM
I have a 100hp lwb vivaro, its insured with nfu & costs me £625 for any driver over 25 with me as main driver, i also have a car and with them. i am sure i discused the contents of the van when i took out the policy 7 years ago. my assistant bent it a couple of years ago and the service was very good, athough it was in a car park.

get the gauges
10-01-2008, 12:55 AM
nfu is gonna get a call tomorrow ,cis insurance flatly refused to renew my existing insurance when i reminded them of my need to carry oxyacetylene,i have a feeling that i have been unknowingly been improperly insured for the last 8years.