PDA

View Full Version : Engineers on the move

Grizzly
08-01-2008, 09:28 PM
We must lead a sheltered life down in the South West.
But I have been hearing "stories" of large scale movements of Engineers (obviously one way of getting a pay rise).
APPARANTLY:-
Recently 4 guys in the North East have left Johnson Controls and joined Trane (Now Ingersol Rand)!
A similar number recently left J&E Hall to join Grenco.
And in Scotland I belive their were movements between Halls and Star?
There must be something in the water!
I am not knocking any of the Companies listed. As sometimes the "Grass is allways Greener" untill you get there.
But when you here stories of large numbers of Engineers on the move it is interesting!
Any truth in it Guys?
Personally I think Engineers voting with their feet is a good thing. Especially as the large unionised companies that set the Industry standards don't exist anymore. It reminds people that we are not just a comodity to be used and abused.
More likely or not the Companies most of us work for are non UK owned.
Grizzly :rolleyes:

taz24
08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
There must be something in the water!
I am not knocking any of the Companies listed. As sometimes the "Grass is allways Greener" untill you get there.
But when you here stories of large numbers of Engineers on the move it is interesting!
Any truth in it Guys?

Grizzly :rolleyes:

It's a bit genral but in all the companies I've worked for, there are those who flit back and forth following the money and individual contracts and there are the settled ones who put up with day to day crap because on the whole its a good job.

Genralised I know but thats how I see it.

Cheers taz

Brian_UK
09-01-2008, 01:20 AM
I'll agree with Taz although as Grizzly says they do like to move around at times.

We've just got over the end of year spending feast and it's time to chase up some more money I guess.

As they say, "Same face, different tee-shirt."
or the other one is..
"Same sh*t, different depth."

Grizzly
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Slightly different tack.
But just heard today that Carrilion are taking over Alfred MqAlpine as a whole not just AMBS.(BUILDING SERVICES).
There must be some guys affected or have dealt with Carrilion?
I AM NOT A NUMBER!!!!
Grizzly

Brian_UK
10-01-2008, 10:12 PM
All those good 'ole Mowlem guys stand up and be counted - oh, that must be me :D

I am now a more efficient number I'll have you know ;)

The MG Pony
12-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm not just a number! I'm three to four numbers!

I got a tax number, loan number, ID number, drivers number, a birth number, oh crap to many damned numbers,

just gimme one please!

paulwild
13-01-2008, 07:23 PM
hi ,im a mcalpines employee and yes most of mcalpines will bcome carrilion but bussiness services will become bab**** dyncorp ?????????

Grizzly
13-01-2008, 08:40 PM
hi ,im a mcalpines employee and yes most of mcalpines will bcome carrilion but bussiness services will become bab**** dyncorp ?????????
Hi Paul.
Would the missing **** be a Male Chicken.
And if so why are they part of Carrilion to?
Grizzly

Samarjit Sen
14-01-2008, 04:47 AM
Similar things are happening in our country too. There are a large number of engineers on the move. It is just that dedication, sincerety and interest for a job and the Company is lacking. It is only higher pay that is of interest. There are very few old timers who stick to one company and these are the people who have dedication and integrity. I would keep away from the engineers who are always on the move, as they cannot be trusted.

Brian_UK
21-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Just an update on what's happening with these two from the company news section..

Acquisition approved by Alfred McAlpine Shareholders

Further to the announcement made by Alfred McAlpine plc (‘Alfred McAlpine’) regarding the court meeting and extraordinary general meeting it held today, 21 January 2008, the Carillion plc (‘Carillion’) Board is pleased to note that, as recommended by the Alfred McAlpine Board, Alfred McAlpine Shareholders voted overwhelmingly in favour of a scheme of arrangement for the acquisition of the entire issued ordinary share capital of Alfred McAlpine by Carillion (the ‘Acquisition’).

Completion of the Acquisition remains subject to the satisfaction or (if capable of waiver) waiver of the remaining Conditions as set out in Appendix I to the Scheme Circular dated 21 December 2007 sent to Alfred McAlpine Shareholders, including, among other things, UK competition clearance and the sanction of the Scheme and confirmation of the associated Capital Reduction by the High Court of Justice in England and Wales. The Acquisition is expected to become Effective on 12 February 2008.

Commenting, John McDonough, Carillion chief executive said:

'I am delighted that Alfred McAlpine shareholders have voted in favour of the transaction. The acquisition of Alfred McAlpine is a significant step in Carillion's development, creating one of the UK’s largest support services companies, in line with our strategy for growth.

With enhanced positions in a wide range of growth market sectors, together with integration cost savings at an expected run rate of £30 million a year by the end of 2009, the acquisition of Alfred McAlpine will further strengthen our ability to maintain the Group's strong momentum and deliver materially enhanced earnings in 2009, the first full year of operations.'

Brian_UK
13-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Further news.

The takeover of McAlpine by Carillion has been completed.

Tesla
13-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Well Samarjit Sen
I dissagree with you. I have been on the move of late and its not because I can't be trusted. I think it's a sign of the times. House prices and the cost of living have increased many times more than my wages - it's unsustainable and indicates a crash (market) just look at the news.