PDA

View Full Version : Staffing difficuilties in Milton Keynes

completehvac
08-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Does anybody have any ideas how we can attract good quality engineers and engineers mates, in the milton keynes area.
We have tried local press, refrigeration - engineer jobs section, web site etc, but seems good engineers just arnt looking, so we need a way to find them.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, or if you know any good engineers, who are grafters with the right attittude for service work please let me know.

taz24
08-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Does anybody have any ideas how we can attract good quality engineers and engineers mates, in the milton keynes area.
We have tried local press, refrigeration - engineer jobs section, web site etc, but seems good engineers just arnt looking, so we need a way to find them.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, or if you know any good engineers, who are grafters with the right attittude for service work please let me know.

Money, money, money.
Benifits, bonus's, good working conditions.
Money.

Cheers taz.

Latte
08-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Join the queue !!!!

Milton Keynes is a stange one :eek:

There have always seem to be a lack of decent engineers out that way, either that or they are all working in fantastic jobs on big bucks.
On thing that supprises me is that in MK you must have a massive call for a wholesaler, HRP is in Bedford, NRS in Wellinborough, RPW Somewhere :eek:. I am sure if a small independent open a shop there they would make a killing, just look at all the industry with cooling needs, Shops, Hotels. The place is growing at a stupid rate there has got to be demand

Gripe Over

regards

Fatboy

spaceman
08-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi

Im new to RE,

In answer to your question reference engineers in Milton Keynes, I live in MK what type of engineeer are you after and what you offering fella?? Forgive my boldness.. long day!!

grump
09-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I am A retired hvac/refrigeration/electrical.background Installation,service,maintenance.Poss looking for part time work own vehicle tools.Dunstable

Latte
09-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Spaceman,

Turn on youre private messages and i will send you a contact

Regards

Fatboy

chillin out
09-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I am A retired .....
Hence the user name....lol

Guys, please remember there is a job advertising facility already on the board.:rolleyes:

Chillin:):)

completehvac
11-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all your replies, I cannot turn on my pm as i dont curently have sufficient posts! So i will keep working on that, perhaps you could email me?

With regard to a wholsaler in mk, I agree and have wondered for a long time why there is no distributors on our doorstep. We have to get around this by keeping unusually high stock levels ourselves and relying on couriers for parts not stocked, nightmare.

To the moderator, I am aware and did infact try advertising on the RE job board, the only applicant was a chap in india who needed a job offer to complete his visa application, I declined since I feel someone a little more local would better suit our requirements.

chillin out
11-01-2008, 12:39 AM
To the moderator, I am aware and did infact try advertising on the RE job board, the only applicant was a chap in india who needed a job offer to complete his visa application, I declined since I feel someone a little more local would better suit our requirements.
'The moderator' has a name...lol

Thats fine, it was only a gentle reminder.
The 'heavies' won't be sent round just yet....lol

Chillin:):)

bill1983
14-04-2008, 12:45 AM
the problem is not just in mk mate it's countrywide. a lot of the older engineers seem to be settled and possibly even respected by their employers and so don't even bother looking anymore. the ones that change employer every 12 months or less are not the ones you want but are usually the only ones available. the skills shortage in this country is shocking and much has been said within these forums about that. we may be getting to the stage where companies have to employ apprentices again to provide the workforce of the future. wouldn't that be a turnup.

SUBCONTRACTOR
14-04-2008, 08:46 PM
the problem is not just in mk mate it's countrywide. a lot of the older engineers seem to be settled and possibly even respected by their employers and so don't even bother looking anymore. the ones that change employer every 12 months or less are not the ones you want but are usually the only ones available. the skills shortage in this country is shocking and much has been said within these forums about that. we may be getting to the stage where companies have to employ apprentices again to provide the workforce of the future. wouldn't that be a turnup.

Anything for the poor subcontractor ?? bring it on i will buy the bottle of whiskey.Bring it on.:D

WINJA
15-04-2008, 10:08 AM
It might be a world wide problem , one large company in Auckland is about 8 engineers short and the GM doesnt bother advertising anymore as no ones applying, sadly for him retention was the problem as he failed to react fast enough to pay increases, some staff who were there almost 20 years left the company, if theres a lesson to be learned it might be to look after the staff you have so you dont have to look for new staff , I use to work for him and he was a top bloke I didnt leave cause the money was low but I defineatly would have stayed if it was really really really good pay

paul_h
15-04-2008, 10:27 AM
It's worldwide and because of the 90s recession. A lot of the big shops closed down or downsized.
Meaning less apprentices, less people now in their 30s who are experienced.
Not only that, but shortly after everyone decided having an air conditioner in their small office or home was the norm.
So more work, less tradesmen worldwide.