PDA

View Full Version : Retain a reefer tech

bentk32
07-01-2008, 05:57 AM
I just wanted to comment on what absolute-zero stated about retaining a reefer tech. In the california region its the same with several commercial guys but very few good transport techs. Most guys dont stay employed after attempting to do a discharge vibe on a genesis tm900 or a compressor on a ford diesel van..lol TK and Carrier gets a bad name from inexperinced techs working on them. There is alot of money to be made in this business and you will always have a job because people have to eat!

absolute-zero
07-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I just wanted to comment on what absolute-zero stated about retaining a reefer tech. In the california region its the same with several commercial guys but very few good transport techs. Most guys dont stay employed after attempting to do a discharge vibe on a genesis tm900 or a compressor on a ford diesel van..lol TK and Carrier gets a bad name from inexperinced techs working on them. There is alot of money to be made in this business and you will always have a job because people have to eat!

Thats Right,
About 10 years ago we had a gentleman from the commercial HVAC side decide he wanted to try out transport, he only lasted two weeks, for similiar reasons you mention.

I remeber it,, like it was yesterday. He was in his 50's, had a pocket protector filled with pens and trinkets, wore a lab type long coat. A unit came in for cam plug seal leaking, which recuired lowside pumpdown, removing the compressor, flywheel housing and other misc compoents to access. He looked at me with a grin and said Idont think this is what I had in mind. as his face was coverd with engine oil and sweat.

I asked him what he meant, he replied with you have to work on the engines as well.

I said to him well if it is behind the unit access doors and it is broke, we fix it. whether its the engine, charging sytem microprocessor, or the remainder refrigeration system. He stuck with us for a couple more weeks, and were slow on this paticular day, we gave him project to weld on a chassis frame, he gave it a try and i worked with him in efforts to show him metal fabrication and prpoerly set up mig welder, afetr that day he said this job was BS and not for him. He never returened to work the next day or ever.

Like many techs that start out i dont beleive get intimidated by R&R vibes or some of the other issues, I think it goes deeper, I didnt know how to sweat in or braze in new vibes when i started, however i was anxiouse and ambitous to learn how. Granted i did burn uop some stuff in the beginning and had made some mistakes, but these mistakes were learned from and applied for future.

The only time i hold my head and say, why did i chose to do this, is when, I have to R&R a heat exchanger in a super II multitemp, that is by the toughest thing to repalce in anything i have ever replaced. If one was to become intimidated, it surely would be that:D

Back to the point, I think retention mostly is to the atmosphere which the employee is subjected too.

I hated working for TK dealership when i first started out, the managers were all obnoxiouse people to work around, everything was unprofessional, there were not set standards, moreless a free for all.

Every day was differnt with a new set of guidlines and rules that fit that days agenda, I stuck it out though, as i knew deep down there were a high demand for Reefer-Techs, I wanted to learn and have alot of expeirence in these machines for future career advantages.

I had invisioned becoming a corp DSM, but those cards didnt ever get delt for me to play. So now I am out on my own and running standards that should have always been in play during my time at the dealership.

I do miss it there at the dealership sometimes, because i was going to confrences and was part of a DAC committee, made alot of good friends.

A-Z

bentk32
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
No thanks on that super II heat exchanger!! I'm glad that not making super II anymore. I have worked on my own and now currently work at a dealership for now. I have had many days over the past 12 years when I wanted to quit this job and work at a burger king, but for some unknown reason I stay. I came back to a dealer for more info and its nice not paying for parts .:) The job that I would like would be doing training for IR in a remote location.

absolute-zero
07-01-2008, 05:04 PM
No thanks on that super II heat exchanger!! I'm glad that not making super II anymore. I have worked on my own and now currently work at a dealership for now. I have had many days over the past 12 years when I wanted to quit this job and work at a burger king, but for some unknown reason I stay. I came back to a dealer for more info and its nice not paying for parts .:) The job that I would like would be doing training for IR in a remote location.

You know the learning center in MNPLS is great place to start for instruction, some of the DSMs or product service managers came from there, or R&D.

I know Dave P. there very well and always asks everytime i see him if iwould be interested in it. It is just too cold there for me though.

But perhaps you keep on the IR or TK site and watch for the job postings as maybe that position your looking for is lurking around the corner.

I was a trainer instructor for my dealership, made sure cert-tech certifications were done along with section 608 epa type 1, 2 proctoring.

Dave P, and Ron G the learning center managers were asking me i f iwould participate in, Top Tech course for the feild. I was all fo it but the dealer owners were not as this approach was not protiable for them.

Oh well, how can you put a price tag on building professionals that will make you more profitable and strengthen the market share along with increase in customer base.

I actually heard the dealership i was working for has slowed down to crawl, I think they are trying to get by on trailer work now. brakes, roofs, lights est.

I dont know whats going on there, i know im up to elbows in tru service training and work it and will soon need help.;)

Regards A-Z

thermo prince
08-01-2008, 07:26 AM
A-Z and Bent 32 ,
You guys should do well because you love what yer doing!
Everyday you get up, you have to feel positive, love the challenge and feel you can make a difference somehow.

You can spend 100's of dollars on books by Steve Covey, Tony Robbins , even ole' Dale Carnegie's timeless book plus a plethora of self help guru's but it all boils down to simply POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE !
Even the guy sweeping the street has a chance to improve his lot in life if he keeps the spark alive.:)

You'd never know , the chance at Corporate field jobs with either of the 2 major transport manufacturers, be it MPLS or Syracuse may come around quicker than you think.
A lot of the current crew getting older plus new acquisitions etc etc so internal people may move on wards & up. Don't ever give up on yer dreams .... :)

PS to Chilln, FOR THE RECORD
With Christmas holidays and cheer, I for 1 did not wish to get into online argument with anyone.
I don't accept your reasoning about over-reaction and joining 1/2 way through ....
I wish to appeal to older & wiser moderators than you like Frank, Brian , Josip or Peter1 or US Iceman to adjudicate on Gravy issue.
I dont appreciate you delete my posts with AZ 's but leave the originals.
I know well what I was reading - and I can tell you I have been reading & writing Corporate text a lot longer than you.

best regards
T-P

absolute-zero
08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

T-P just in case we dont talk again on RE, I will try to carry on your legacy here.

I hope you two can positively work out your differnces as you are a great asst here to RE in my opinion.

I hate to see another legend get punted into the feild goal.;)

A-Z