PDA

View Full Version : R22 drop in for a carrier centrif chiller??

neil74
05-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi l'm new to re and thought l'd just ask a question to see if anyone has had any experience with changing over a centrifugal chillers that run on R22. We have a carrier that's on R22 and l'm not sure if there are any compatable refrigerants that will work probably due to most drop ins having a glide which will cause problems in a flooded evaporator!!
thanks in advance.

gsxr1340
05-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Neil,

for what i know about turbos, most now run on 134a, which obviously has the operating pressure/temp of the old r12, eg low positive pressure, I would first go to carrier to sound out what their convertion would be and then carry out the work yourself.

Also for using azeo/zeo blends I dont know if they can be used at all for the exact reasons you stated of glide issues

Regards
gsxr1340

neil74
07-01-2008, 08:00 PM
cheers, l think it's going to hard to convert as there aren't too many on r22 and most drop ins are all with glides!!
whether it could be changed over to r134a, l think that may cause more probs, might just have to flog them a new one and get down the scrappy with all the copper!!!!
I don't think l'il get a lot out of carrier as l think they have got rid of there tech support, tried to get the correct charge for a carrier in the past and they were about much help as a chocolate tea pot!!!
thanks again.

old gas bottle
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
hi mate,ring BOC speciel gases,if you cant find the number i,ll dig it out, there quite helpfull if you get the right man, we did some field testing with the french contingent last year on some carriers, theres a few options but should be able to give you the right one.

neil74
08-01-2008, 02:09 AM
cheers thanks for the info l'il give them a call.
much appreciated.