PDA

View Full Version : I've had it with the end users!

The Viking
05-01-2008, 02:45 AM
I'm fed up with end users not listening to advice given to them:(.

As a result I thought about putting a leaflet together, explaining simple facts of air conditioning in simple terms for simple minds, guiding them from when they first thinking about buying an A/C system, through install and maintenance, until it's time to replace it.

(OK, so it's official, I'm a masochist)

It will be hard to get it all in, I know.

But to help me, what is on the top of the list that you want end users to understand?

:cool:

chillin out
05-01-2008, 02:56 AM
But to help me, what is on the top of the list that you want end users to understand?
Get them to open their eyes and ears and not to follow their 'stupid' beliefs.

Also tell them to stay away from their 'friend the plumber' or their friend the electrician.

Chillin:):)

Gary
05-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Airflow is absolutely essential. Clean the condenser and change the filters regularly.

nike123
05-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Read user manual first, then ask questions!
This is most annoying to me.

Josip
05-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi, The Viking :)

I'm fed up with end users not listening to advice given to them:(.

As a result I thought about putting a leaflet together, explaining simple facts of air conditioning in simple terms for simple minds, guiding them from when they first thinking about buying an A/C system, through install and maintenance, until it's time to replace it.

(OK, so it's official, I'm a masochist)

It will be hard to get it all in, I know.

:cool:

....nice try, but for me that sounds like Sisyphean challenge;).....anyhow, good luck...

agree with this:

-read the user manual FIRST!
-call serviceman and not a friend of friend

Best regards, Josip :)

expat
05-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I would like them to understand that dimmensioning is important, and that a smaller unit will not acheive the same results just because you set it at 16°C.
Many seem to think that by setting the remote control to it's lowest setting the air will come out colder. Here I am only talking about all or nothing systems, when you start trying to explain inverter systems you find people can get really confused.

After a recent install I explained to the man how it worked, what setting to go for to have a confortable temp, that it was reversible so it would also heat in winter and finally that it had an inverter so that as it reached it's set point it would slow up thereby reducing energy consumption.

He was very happy and as he said goodbye to me at the door he said "So when I first turn it on I just set it to it's lowest temperature and it's an inverter so it heats as well, right?" and I said "Yep".

paul_h
05-01-2008, 12:42 PM
^^ I get that a lot expat.
My reply is that the thermostat is an on/off switch on a conventional a/c , the air coming out will always be ~15k to the air going in, the thermostat setting won't change that.
I also ask them, "If it's a 22C day, do you put the a/c on cool at all?" Their answer is normally "no" so then I ask why they were running the a/c at 16 or 18c when they don't need it that cold.
After again explaining the setting is just an on/off switch I go up the scale asking them at what temp they would turn the a/c on, eg , "24?", "26?" etc.
Normally they say yes around 26-28, so I tell them 24C setpoint is low enough for them.
That's for domestic/commercial conventional comfort air con. If it's an inverter I tell them to set it for 22C as the a/c slows down capacity a lot when close to it's target, so a 24C setpoint may never even get down to 24C.
If it's not for comfort ie, servers, food production, I tell them to buy the right equipment for the job, not the domestic splits I was sent to service ;)

The MG Pony
08-01-2008, 03:49 AM
tips for explaining it to em? Keep the lingo to a 4th grade level, keep the concepts to kindergarten levels

Other then that the old saying of just smile and nod comes to mind.

In a day and age where the average person couldn't find their as$ with both hands how can we have any hope of getting them to grasp a light switch let alone a thermostat!

TRASH101
08-01-2008, 10:49 AM
A section on how a well maintained split will not cause the flu, stomach aches, dissentry or pregnancy:mad:, would prove beneficial. Although a footnote should be added stating that certain arrogant males may be prone to atrophic vaginitis:D

And perhaps a brief section on " leaving the windows open whilst trying to blast freeze your colleagues will not negate the effects of global warming "

Is this really going to be a
leaflet :confused:
I wish you luck in condensing the gripes we have with the " end user " to anything less than an epic.

S_Line
08-01-2008, 12:22 PM
" Im not paying for a call out, even though its my fault and i had selected cool instead of heat, that was why no heat was coming out "

" YOu serviced my unit last month, now it dosent * "

* = just think of anything

Then start from the Top :lol: !!

paul_h
08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
" Im not paying for a call out, even though its my fault and i had selected cool instead
I've figured out a way to get a call out fee in these situations as I get it a lot.
When you get there, you just say it needs a service and quote them a price. Make a big song and dance about putting on you gauges and getting your gear out after they agree on paying for a service.
Then set everything up on the outdoor unit, clean the filters etc. Do this first as they're going to see you just switch to heat/cool and see it work if you do that first.
15min later its running and your off with your call out fee.
Works for me because our call out fee includes 15min labour.
But if it would take longer than 15min to set up your gear then charge more.
People rather pay more you looking at the unit and checking it than pay a call out fee for "nothing"

edit: With the outdoor unit covers off you can say a loose wire inside the unit was the cause and they should get the unit serviced more regularly to prevent future breakdowns.
I don't enjoy lying or taking advantage of people, but most of them do not want to pay a call out fee even though they agreed to before you went there. Their attitude in trying to get out of paying anything just because I spent little time repairing their fault has made me deal with the situation in this way. I spent $30k buying the gear to be able to get to their door, let alone daily accruing costs, and they think I should do that for free? I'm not making lots of money of them, I still paying the $30k off.

expat
08-01-2008, 05:05 PM
So, Paulh. I take it from your last post that you are now up and running,... good luck!