PDA

View Full Version : More Tales (of the unexpected)

grump
03-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Bath England 1979.Southern Area Gas Board computer room.Cooling provided by approx 20no 5ton Arkla Servel gas fired chillers.Control Panel 6ft x 8ft (2m x 2.5m)
Service visit visual general checks opened panel (live)
noticed overheating on connector block went to take a closer look moved wiring gently, flash- bang, every thing goes quiet,o f--- .High ranking dude enters plant room
" what have you done,for every hours delay in getting our invoices out we are talkin in the thousands £ that is"
"Leave it to me" Try and stay calm dont panic.
Supply=300a tpn check lost one phase locate electrical incoming mains in basement found isolator marked Air Con,great checked fuses 1 blown.Here is the good bit there hanging from the isolator was a spare fuse. So marked up isolator +spare fuse thank you my electrician from the past.carry out repairs to overheated wiring swich on power Hi De Hi To be continued Grump

airconwarehouse
03-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Arkla eh?

During my attempt at a New Year clear out today, I just had my hands on the Arkla Service Manual dated Jan 1979..............
Your post is clearly a sign from above telling me that my policy of not never throwing anything away is sound!!

thermo prince
03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Absolutely, definitely , never throw anything away, especially the old stuff!
Welcome to the 'hoarder's club'.
:D
Like an old friend who used to buy all kinds of bric-a-brac at boot sales & "swap meets' in ANZ - to use his words " it may come in handy, even if I never need it"
;)

regards
T-P

absolute-zero
03-01-2008, 06:22 PM
thje essence of Pack Ratting can be someday useful, My better half always asks, "why are you saving that?" Just throw it way she says.

I have pulled myself out of many binds with old saved stuff.

Sometimes i just sift through it all when bored and am amazed with what i have preserved.

A-Z

Brian_UK
04-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Didn't touch an Arkla but met his son Mr Robur.

Quite enjoyed working on those and the manuals were always a useful read.

thermo prince
04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
So..... Grump, when do we get Part 11 of this thriller? :p

Or will you make it a weekly serial, like Dallas, when we were all eager to find out who shot ole' JR ? :rolleyes:

I can't wait for next instalment ....... !

regards
T-P