PDA

View Full Version : LG inverter undercharge from factory?

bach
02-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Just installed a LG Inverter split system.
From first start, this system not bring enought cool, I changed to heat mode, after some minutes, i got the strange noise from the valve(out door unit)for closing the cool and open the heat mode. The system work as nomal, come back with the cool mode, the same. Something I can inspect and think may be the system was under charge.
1/ I saw some litle ice built up at liquid pipe, and some little ice built up inside the indoor unit, I'm pretty sure that condition normally was undercharge.
2/This unit was malfunction. After the system ran for 10-15 minutes, the display panel appeared the icon"auto clean", after5-10 minute, the system come back at cooling mode.
I don't know the system got problem in electronic side, or because the system not enough gas therefore it change to auto clean by it sek\lf. Anybody have this experience about this case please sharing your acknowledge. Thanks very much for your sharing.

paul_h
02-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Make sure the liquid valve is fully open.
Make sure the electronic TX is fully seated on the pipe/solenoid.
Look for any signs on oil on the outdoor pipework or behind the compressor on the base of the unit.
Being short from the factory does happen, but very rarely and normally theres signs of oil indicating a leak.
While your there make sure the r/v operates properly, ie. take the temps discharge in and dischrage out, suction in and suction out.

TIGA
02-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi,
First and foremost,the symptom u saw on the suction line,is an indicator of two problems:Restriction in the liquid line or Under charge or leakage on the pipework.take the temps discharge in and dischrage out, suction in and suction out and the pressure using ur gauges.

nike123
02-01-2008, 09:28 AM
When you in doubt, fastest solution is to recover and weigh charge.
If OK, than check for restrictions, proper functioning of EEV, 4Way-valve, sensors, air quantity across exchangers.
If not OK, than pressure test it, and act accordingly.

fintan
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Quite possibly it is under charged. The only way to know for sure is to take out the gas. We had a few systems where we weight the charge and found them undercharged and orignally thought that they had come in that way.
I have heard since then from the factory that when the units leave the manufacturing factory the valves might not be seated fully (closed) as the units are precharged at a different connection. So when you connect your pipework, make sure that the vales are fully seated prior to vacuuming out the system or you will pull some of the charge out as well.

paul_h
02-01-2008, 04:34 PM
^ That is also true.
Bear in mind that Bach in is australia, it's more than likely not his problem, as I've said many times before, installers don't have to look after warranty etc here for most brands. If there's a problem the people sub contracted to do waranty for that brand have to deal with it. So it's unlikely he's going to reclaim and reweigh refrigerant out of his own pocket. That's why I kept my diagnosis simple like checking things, rather than reclaim and reweigh.
Most of the time if a unit is short of refrigerant, it's going to be a leak rather than just factory undercharge. Most of the time it's on a condenser elbow/entry or the strainer/capillary, and there's usually oil present if you strip the unit panels off and look behind the compressor.
Occasionally it's just the service valves, so it's lost during evac. But as I mentioned before in other posts that should be evident when you remove the capped flares.
As you said fintan, the unit's aren't charged it the service valves, and the service valves are fully closed when shipped. So there shouldn't be any pressure behind the flare nut when removed.
If there is pressure when removing the flare/bonnet cap, then re fit the cap, fully backward seating the valve and then forward seating again sometimes seals it up.

Andy W
02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I have had valves leaking past once blanking caps removed, I had one once that another guy installed for me and I went back to commission, I rang him from site asking if he had weighed the charge in the pipes and forgot to open the pipes as there was high standing pressure in the pipes, he had not done any vaccing, pressure testing etc, it was the valves leaking past.

I like probably many others only remove the flare nuts and bonetts only when I am ready to connect.

BJ USHER
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
hI Bach concerning you LG inverter what capacity is it?How long is your pipe run?Does it require an additional field charge if you pipe run is over the manufacturers initial charge??Perhaps the technical data or manufacturers specs is where you should look.GOOD LUCK

bach
19-01-2008, 03:23 AM
The system is a converter 1.0 HP only. I used the wall bracket to mount the outdoor unit, so it's very clode, maximum for pipes just about 1-1.4m. I did paid to one of my mate to bring his recover machine to sucked and weighted, he found the system was under charge from manufacture, no any leak have been check before fill gas. It was short off 800g R410. He weighted just only 280g in the system.
This case I can not proof to The LG company, accept if I'm LG sub contractor. That mean I have lost time and money. The only one I can proof to LG service Manager is the receipt from my mate. There is a story for any member in this forum to consider if it happen to you. What can you do? Any ideal?