PDA

View Full Version : Safety

grump
31-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I would like to introduce myself as a retired service engineer ( HVAC. ) with my experience 1956-2006
1956-1961 Apprentice
Memory, teasing two rats with a length of metal conduit.They were trapped in a grain silo 3-4mtrs below me as soon as they saw the conduit it became there means of escape i shook them off and fled in terror.
London 1970 working on a packaged Carrier ac unit 4 no condensing fans, crawled inside to check suction line temperature with left hand put right hand up for support where it came in to contact with a fan blade stopping it dead leaving me with a serious injury to the side of my hand,had my fingers been in the upright position it would probably left me with thumb only.to be continued.Grump

Grizzly
31-12-2007, 01:38 PM
A big welcome Grump.
I look forward to you shairing your experiance with us!
Grizzly.

taz24
31-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Memory, teasing two rats with a length of metal conduit.They were trapped in a grain silo 3-4mtrs below me as soon as they saw the conduit it became there means of escape i shook them off and fled in terror.

One memory of conduit used incorectly was when I was diving of the yorkshire coast some years ago.
My buddy found a length of conduit and for no apparent reason started to swim with it.
He came accross an Anglia fish (Monk fish) and deceided to catch it for dinner.
He shoved the conduit in the fish mouth and surfaced with it.
He then put it into the boat on the surface and promptly watched his wife jump into the sea over the other side.

Welcom to the site Grump.
It took you 50 years to get out of the trade eh:)

taz.

thermo prince
31-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Welcome Grump.
As Grizzly said we look forward to hearing more of your yarns and experiences.
What you've probably forgotten about this business is more than many of us will ever know! :)

PS. Glad your hand injury did'nt cause permanent incapacitation.

PSS . I have to ask, it's the Adrian Monk OCD in me - What 'came o' the rats ?? ..... did they ever make it out of the silo? :D

Have a great New Year everybody.

T-P

Brian_UK
31-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Yes, welcome Grump, I fear that Mr 'Elf and Safety is going to be a long way behind you. ;)

grump
31-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for getting back to me,the rats were caught in a bag then thrown off the building,dont know what became of them after that.there is obviousley more than one use for a length of pipe,i have many more stories re H&S ie it did not exist, Grump

The Viking
31-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Hmmm, no H&S...

Now that brings back memories (unfortunately, I should add).

When I first started out in this business, little did I know that the company I started with were c##p (and I didn't have the experience to tell the difference).

We did an installation on one of the posher hotels in Stockholm. The hotel in question is built in a square with an internal courtyard where their restaurant were.

Our installation was on the 5th or 6th floor, I can't remember. It did involve external pipework above the restaurant.
So how would/should you do it?
Scaffolding?
Scissor lift?
Nah, not according to my old boss, just use harnesses and walk on the 200mm wide edge (200mm before you put the pipework down on it that is).
Neither would they close the restaurant or let us work out of hours (when the guest must get their rest).

Back then, it was a bit of a laugh (the innocence of youth). Now, looking back with the wisdom of experience, it sends chills down my spine. Just imagine what would have happened if we dropped any tools or fixings, set fire to the rope or just fell of....

Contactor
01-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Found a dead mouse on a VRF terminal block once, sadly no rats thrown off buildings yet.

Welcome to Refrigeration Engineer...

Josip
01-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi, Grump :)

Welcome to RE forums..

Best regards, Josip :)