PDA

View Full Version : vac pumps

refaircon
29-12-2007, 02:39 PM
what types do you use
seem to be having a lot of burn't out vac pumps that are dual voltage, but only ever used on 110v. the wiring has been correctly changed

reccomend me a 110 and a 240 one please
anyone else have probs??

Grizzly
29-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Refaircon
We tend to use the Robiaire Vaccum Pumps mainly.
I allways save an older one for when using on Ammonia systems.
They are allways 110V Surely the 240v option is illegal for site use?
In fairness there are plenty of other makes as well and I have not heard of a bad one!
Maybe you are not sizing the pump to the job and causing the pump motor to overheat. Only you can answer that one.
I did have one burn out on me once and that was were a site Electrician converted it from 240v to 110v (back in the old days before it was mandatory)to allow me to use it onsite. Maybe thats the common thread?
Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

paulwild
29-12-2007, 05:03 PM
hi their,
i have a javac shark (240v) and duel voltage robinaire both are as good as one another

monkey spanners
29-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi

I've been using YellowJacket vac pumps for eight years with no trouble (on 240 v) To switch to 110 v you need to change the wiring connections around. When i was at the RAC show the YellowJacket rep said that for the pump to meet regulations (which regulation i don't know) you need a postive action to switch voltage use e.g. swapping wires, switching a switch as on other makes was not 'allowed' as its not a deliberate enough action (Switch could get knocked, maybe this could be a cause of the burnouts)
Also as i'm sure you know, in the cold weather we are having at the moment many pumps will struggle to start. A friend of mine keeps his pump in the cab to ensure its oil is warm enough to start ok. Why don't they fit a heater?

Jon

The Viking
29-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Also as i'm sure you know, in the cold weather we are having at the moment many pumps will struggle to start. Why don't they fit a heater?

Jon

???
:confused:
As someone who did my apprenticeship and the first 10 years of my working life in Sweden (which is ever so slightly colder than the UK), I never experienced vacc pumps not starting because they are cold (even thou sometimes it was colder outside than in the freezers).

The only reason I can see for a vacc pump to be affected by the cold is if there is moisture in the oil (and then it would be down to you not looking after it)...

monkey spanners
29-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi Viking,

check out

http://www.yellowjacket.com/questions.asp

and click on the vac pump cold weather starting link

Cheers Jon

The Viking
29-12-2007, 07:54 PM
So, I was right!

(Somehow, I can not see the extreme cold bit being relevant here in UK before the next ice age)

Thank you MS for a nice link.

:D

Grizzly
29-12-2007, 08:53 PM
The moral of the story is don't use Yelow Jacket when it's cold then?
MS you say you have been using YJ for 8yrs without trouble. Then why throw in the curve ball about the cold starting?
More importantly can 1 of our trainers tell me what is the score with using 240v and site work please.
As far as I know it is not allowed to trail 240v leads???
Help please!
Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif

Contactor
30-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Good evening everyone

What is the easiest way to size up a vacuum pump to the system?

Thanks

refaircon
30-12-2007, 12:40 AM
The moral of the story is don't use Yelow Jacket when it's cold then?
MS you say you have been using YJ for 8yrs without trouble. Then why throw in the curve ball about the cold starting?
More importantly can 1 of our trainers tell me what is the score with using 240v and site work please.
As far as I know it is not allowed to trail 240v leads???
Help please!
Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif

whats the thing with 240v
yeah its not allowed on site i know that, but you seem to mention it alot
i want a 240 one as well because the other engineers do work that is not on sites.
yeah i am aware of site rules

rob

Brian_UK
30-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Good evening everyone

What is the easiest way to size up a vacuum pump to the system?

Thanks
Taken from the website given above...

Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I select the right pump cfm?

The following guidelines are for domestic through commercial applications.

System size (tons) Pump cfm
1-10 1.5
10-15 2.0
15-30 4.0
30-45 6.0
45-60 8.0
60 and above 11.0

eggs
30-12-2007, 12:54 AM
I have used the same dual voltage YJ for 8 years as well, no probs at all. It is usually set to 110v.
There are two ways you can use 230v on site. One is to plug into an RCD only when no 110v alternative is available and keep you leads as short as possible. The other is not strictly correct but ALL service engineers use it up and down the country when time is short........

Come one chaps who else has made up a lead to take 230v of a condensing unit?
We always fit a fused 5a socket inside our VRV/VRF's now:D
Saves no end of time:cool:

eggs

Grizzly
30-12-2007, 12:59 AM
whats the thing with 240v
yeah its not allowed on site i know that, but you seem to mention it alot
i want a 240 one as well because the other engineers do work that is not on sites.
yeah i am aware of site rules

rob
No big thing Rob other than I am confused as to wether it is acceptable practice that's all.
As I asked earlier I was hoping someone can advise.
I appreciate as you said your problem is with the 110v version. But it made me wonder are we allowed to use 240v and if so when?
Also as I said earlier the only time I can remember a motor failure was after I had, had 240v motor changed to 110v.
Your question is still relevant.
Grizzly

Latte
30-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Hi Viking,

check out

http://www.yellowjacket.com/questions.asp

and click on the vac pump cold weather starting link

Cheers Jon

Very good link, have printed it off and will give it to all the local engineers

Thanks

fatboy

Grizzly
31-12-2007, 03:26 PM
what types do you use
seem to be having a lot of burn't out vac pumps that are dual voltage, but only ever used on 110v. the wiring has been correctly changed

reccomend me a 110 and a 240 one please
anyone else have probs??
refaircon
Has anyone come back to you regerding why your vac pumps may of burnt out?
Also did you just scrap them or was a repair viable?
Grizzly

refaircon
31-12-2007, 04:05 PM
refaircon
Has anyone come back to you regerding why your vac pumps may of burnt out?
Also did you just scrap them or was a repair viable?
Grizzly

they went back as they were under warranty. but its more the inconvenience.
i'm only an engineer not office based, its the pain in the arse bit for me rather than the cost involved

Grizzly
31-12-2007, 04:41 PM
they went back as they were under warranty. but its more the inconvenience.
i'm only an engineer not office based, its the pain in the arse bit for me rather than the cost involved
Same here and it's a pain when told "Just pop down the road" (30 to 40 ml) to get a replacement from the nearest Wholesaler.
When you get there you find your on stop. Because any one of the numerous depots we have are in "dispute". Therefore the whole company is Temporarilly Black listed. Sound Familiar?
Has the burn out problem resolved itself or is it still ongoing?
Grizzly