PDA

View Full Version : cap tube pumps

magnumman414
02-04-2003, 02:13 AM
please settle an argument between me and my boss. Does anyone belive in clearing plugged cap tubes with a cap tube pump (hydrolic type pump that uses high presure refrigerant oil to clear puugged lines). My boss uses one, I did refrigeration for 5 years before knowing what one was. Every time I have asked an O.E.M they have said not to use them and to just change the cap tube.

angryk
03-04-2003, 03:19 AM
I have never actually used one. I know Johnstone sells one that pushes a tiny piece of metal htrough the tube. Once the metal is pushed through it stays in the evap. That does'nt sit too well with me, but then again if it is a cap tube that is too difficult to change, what do you have to lose?

magnumman414
04-04-2003, 06:28 AM
I do think that is what my boss was talking about. has anyone used one or considered one

zolar1
07-04-2003, 07:41 AM
I bought one that uses oil to clear a clogged cap tube. Haven't used it yet. THe book says it can produce up to 2000psi. I don't think the copper tubing will hold it though. It should either clear it or destroy it.

DaBit
22-04-2003, 11:39 AM
The wall thickness of a captube, compared with the inner diameter, is very high. A captube should be able to handle 500 bars without problems. Thus, using high pressure oil might be able to clean out the captube. But captubes are cheap, so why not replace it when possible?

frank
22-04-2003, 07:24 PM
But captubes are cheap, so why not replace it when possible?

When the captube is buried in the wall insulation as per a domestic or indeed when it is "tube in tube" then it is not really feasable to replace it.

Frank

condenseddave
26-05-2003, 07:40 PM
I bought one eons ago, when I was young and had to have every tool that I could find. (Now I'm old, and have to have every tool I can find...)

It does work very well, and with the introduction of the POE oils, it saw a move from the back of the garage to the truck. Works great.

They're not super-popular, but are still available:

http://www.thermal-eng.com/HTML/5101.htm

They do work well, but are a bit messy.

Bocko
26-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I used one home maid and put into cap tube R 11 under pressure over 400 bar! Successfully!

taz24
26-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I used one home maid and put into cap tube R 11 under pressure over 400 bar! Successfully!

They were all used with R11 at one time and were very good at clearing blockages in small commercial 's and domestics.
We can't use R11 now though because CFC's are banned.
Iv'e not used them with oil but A thin POE oil would do the trick I spose.

Cheers taz.

The MG Pony
27-08-2007, 07:32 PM
You see them on ebay all the time as cap tube chasers. I never really saw the point as I stick strictly with TXV systems.

But, as others have mentioned I suppos it does indeed have its merrits.