PDA

View Full Version : looking for an unpaid opporunity for trainee!

ali_engineer
25-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Hello friends, has anybody got any ideas about my letter!I am currently a student of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, on the City & Guild6127 course at Dudley college Construction Division. I expect to achieve my 6127 technical certificate in February 2008 which will give me all the underpinning knowledge in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning to go with my technical skills in refrigeration and air conditioning, communication and customer service.

I am attracted to your company and looking for a role to further my experience. I believe that with my theoretical skills and ability to learn quickly I can add value to your organisation in a role as an apprentice or trainee.

Though based in the midlands, I am quite willing to relocate and be of service anywhere in the UK.

I look forward to hearing from you to discuss next steps. You can contact me via aaralikasi@yahoo.com

(Or offer to contact them)

My CV is available upon request.Yours Sincerely ALIREZA ALIKHASI

Brian_UK
25-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Hello friends, has anybody got any ideas about my letter!

I am currently a student of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, on the City & Guild
6127 course at Dudley college Construction Division. I expect to achieve my 6127 technical certificate in February 2008 which will give me all the underpinning knowledge in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (. W) to go with my technical skills in refrigeration and air conditioning, communication and customer service.

I am attracted to your company(why) and looking (fore) for a role to further my experience. I believe that with my theoretical skills and ability to learn quickly I can add value to your organisation in a role as an apprentice or trainee.

Though based in the midlands, I am quite willing to relocate and be of service anywhere in the UK.

I look forward to hearing from you to discuss next steps. You can contact me via private message on here (aaralikasi@yahoo.com)

(Or offer to contact them)

My CV is available upon request.

Yours Sincerely

ALIREZA ALIKHASI

Good luck with your efforts, be prepared to expand on your experience and why you are retraining at your age. Not that you are too old :D but some firms may be wary of the older trainee.

Pooh
25-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Ali
good luck in finding a position, you have a lot to learn though before you will be of use to a company other than making tea. I would look for something local to get some practical experience before you think of moving. If you can find a company they should be able to get some funding to pay for you to complete your NVQ which will shortly be a mandatory requirement under the FGas regulations.

Good Luck again
Ian

Latte
25-12-2007, 11:46 PM
i have sent a contact to youre private e-mail
hope it helps

Regards

Fatboy

ali_engineer
26-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks a lot. I recieved it. Thats kind of you mate.
Merry Xmas!

i have sent a contact to youre private e-mail
hope it helps

Regards

Fatboy

ali_engineer
26-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Good luck with your efforts, be prepared to expand on your experience and why you are retraining at your age. Not that you are too old :D but some firms may be wary of the older trainee.

Thanks mate for your correction in my letter. So as you said I am very old for training, so what can do in this situation? You thinks there is no advantages of these attempts to find a proper company ?

Brian_UK
26-12-2007, 12:44 AM
No, I'm not saying that you are 'very old' but older than the normal youth of today.

It should count in your favour the fact that you are training/retraining yourself and hopefully the firms will see that.

chris96
26-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi ALIREZA

I was in the same boat as you a good few years ago, i was studying the course at Solihull college at night school. I needed some on the job experiance so i got the yellow pages and rang around the Air-conditioning companies looking for weekend work unpaid.
Once company said they could help me so i teamed up with one of there engineers on the weekends, a month later i was offered a mates position - crap wage but a foot in the door, stayed with him 6 months then moved to another company as a engineer. - worked for me.

Regards Chris.

ali_engineer
27-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Hi ALIREZA

I was in the same boat as you a good few years ago, i was studying the course at Solihull college at night school. I needed some on the job experiance so i got the yellow pages and rang around the Air-conditioning companies looking for weekend work unpaid.
Once company said they could help me so i teamed up with one of there engineers on the weekends, a month later i was offered a mates position - crap wage but a foot in the door, stayed with him 6 months then moved to another company as a engineer. - worked for me.

Regards Chris.

Hello Chris
But i've sent so many letters to the companies but all of them rejected me!
May you please tell me the name of the first one in Solihull or ask from your mates if there is any place for a trainee engineer?

Thank you!

taz24
27-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Hello Chris
But i've sent so many letters to the companies but all of them rejected me!
May you please tell me the name of the first one in Solihull or ask from your mates if there is any place for a trainee engineer?

Thank you!
If I was you I would resend a simlar letter explaining that you need work experience and would consider working for free.
Then follow the letter up with a phone call and finally drive around the firms and try to talk to the owner / manager personally.

I have seen a lot of students come and go but the ones who make a sucess of it are the ones who get thier name out there.

Keep at the companies, if they get rude with you back of and move on but do not stop, do not wait for the company to look for you.

Good luck.

taz.

Abe
27-12-2007, 06:47 PM
I am going to start a Recruitment Agency called:

"Foot in the door"

Thats the best advice I can give anyone. If you like a firm or a company, get a job cleaning / sweeping the floor.....ie: Get inside.

Once you are in, you can climb as high as you wish......Right up to become Managing Director or even own/ buy out the company.

Now do your bit..........

chris96
27-12-2007, 07:05 PM
I would'nt recommend the company i first went with - there's a good reason i left!!
I see you said you sent letter's off but personally i think phone calls are a more personal approch, ask for the service manager.
As well as trying Air-conditioning and Refrigeration companies ring some building services companies up, the likes of Integral, SGMS ,Mowlems etc.
In my eyes there the more desperate ones.

Also, get the service engineer monthly mag from the local wholesalers, i've seen some mates job's in there before.

Chris.

ali_engineer
28-12-2007, 02:17 AM

"Foot in the door"

Thats the best advice I can give anyone. If you like a firm or a company, get a job cleaning / sweeping the floor.....ie: Get inside.

Once you are in, you can climb as high as you wish......Right up to become Managing Director or even own/ buy out the company.

Please stop being funny! I am serious! At least you could stop sending your valuable ideas to my posts!

With Respects and Regards

Grizzly
28-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Please stop being funny! I am serious! At least you could stop sending your valuable ideas to my posts!

Ali I think you have fallen into the wee small hours syndrome.
Where things can be read differently to the way they are ment! All the guys that bother to post are genuine. It's just that some, myself included like to inject a little humour sometimes into a post.
You are not alone I to have fallen into this trap Recently lambasing Bernard for saying that the services do longer call out duties than us civvies.
When it transpires he was well qualified to comment.
( Sorry Bernard if your out there watching. Maybe we have met as I used to work for J&E Halls on the marine side )
So Ali as was said to me I say to you enjoy the forum but read the posts several times before commenting.
Good Luck for the future and welcome to the forum.
By the way I grew up in Dorridge, Solihull.
Grizzly http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

taz24
28-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Humour mate humour.

You will never make it as an engineer if you have no sense of humour.

taz.

Abe
29-12-2007, 01:20 AM

You think Im being funny???? Far from it. very far.
Think deeply what Ive written.

You miss the point, to your loss.
To cut is short, since you fail to grasp the wisdom, Ill leave it there.

Wishing you success in your quest.
Ill leave with a big laugh..........:D:D:D

Josip
02-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi, ali_engineer :)

"Foot in the door"

Very good advice, and free (...,but we paid for it... somehow...to be able to help somebody in need...) ...let me tell you my story...

I was working in a big refrigeration company, quite high positioned refrigeration engineer...., but I was looking for something more.....and made decision to start my own company....

Until that all (company's) clients just dialed the company phone number (mobile phones were discovered later in the future;))...asking for me and invite me to do some job, to help with some advice....

Now I was at my own...having telephone number but nobody knew it...so, what to do:confused:....sit in the car and travel all around (ex Yugoslavia) for long time....from door to door, looking for maintenance managers offering them good and cheaper services....rejected a lot of time (even if lot of them knew me...they were skeptic about my ability to do a good job because I was alone - but that is another story)....hard time....

Anyhow I succeed, getting one by one client (some of them I visited many times before getting the first job....now....20+ years later I am a freelance refrigeration engineer sitting at home and waiting calls from any place of the world...

Yes, I do realize our starts are not equal....but you must go outside and introduce and offer yourself...your knowledge, your ability and willingness to work....

hope this is of some help....Wish you a good luck...

Best regards, Josip :)

Grizzly
02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
But was not in vain.............eyebrows were raised,,,,,,,I was recognised, moved into a plush office..........given a title........

My dreams were coming true

Now Ive been told that they contemplating making me Partner, a SHAREHOLDER in the Firm

All because. I WAS PREPARED TO MAKE TEA< CLEAN THE TOILETS AND THE ****

:)

Abe
You are a rare breed.... For it is truely rare to find a lawyer prepaired to dispence advise for free!
Must still have more than a bit of Engineer in you?
Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

TRASH101
03-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Abe and Grizzly have hit the nail on the head.

Not only in work relationships but personal relationships.

(i ask forgiveness in advance:))

my wife became a legal partner in much the same way i.e. making tea, cleaning up the sheeet and most of all having more than a bit of engineer inside her.:D:D:D:D

now I ask forgiveness again as the doctor says I`m making real progress:rolleyes:

ali_engineer
03-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi, ali_engineer :)

Very good advice, and free (...,but we paid for it... somehow...to be able to help somebody in need...) ...let me tell you my story...

I was working in a big refrigeration company, quite high positioned refrigeration engineer...., but I was looking for something more.....and made decision to start my own company....

Until that all (company's) clients just dialed the company phone number (mobile phones were discovered later in the future;))...asking for me and invite me to do some job, to help with some advice....

Now I was at my own...having telephone number but nobody knew it...so, what to do:confused:....sit in the car and travel all around (ex Yugoslavia) for long time....from door to door, looking for maintenance managers offering them good and cheaper services....rejected a lot of time (even if lot of them knew me...they were skeptic about my ability to do a good job because I was alone - but that is another story)....hard time....

Anyhow I succeed, getting one by one client (some of them I visited many times before getting the first job....now....20+ years later I am a freelance refrigeration engineer sitting at home and waiting calls from any place of the world...

Yes, I do realize our starts are not equal....but you must go outside and introduce and offer yourself...your knowledge, your ability and willingness to work....

hope this is of some help....Wish you a good luck...

Thanks a lot, was good advise!

Grizzly
03-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Abe and Grizzly have hit the nail on the head.

Not only in work relationships but personal relationships.

(i ask forgiveness in advance:))

my wife became a legal partner in much the same way i.e. making tea, cleaning up the sheeet and most of all having more than a bit of engineer inside her.:D:D:D

Personally I prefer the Bar!
Ali, I hope it's a good year for you.
Grizzly

taz24
07-01-2008, 06:08 PM
PM me your CV + contact details asap

The return trip to texas would be a bit expensive for work experience:D.

taz

Josip
08-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Hi, jollycold :)

Closer than you'd think...

seems you have some job in UK:) no need to travel far away...nice

taz24
08-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Closer than you'd think...

Bugger, there goes me travel expences at 40p a mile:D.

Good luck any way.

Cheers taz.

memphis
11-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Chris i used to work for mowlems and left two years ago when i moved to new zealand hows life in the uk. :D

ali_engineer
13-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Hi Chris i used to work for mowlems and left two years ago when i moved to new zealand hows life in the uk. :D

Hi
still surviving, how u keeping over there??!!

chris96
13-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Memphis,

I just got back from working in Brisbane, i made the move over that way but various things meant i had to come back. Bloody cold here now mate, evenmore so when you have been working in 35oC every day!!!
Whats it like in NZ, i was going to head over but it never came to be, i will be moving back to Australia in a few yr's but in no rush at the moment.

Where was you working for Mowlems in the UK, and when did you move to NZ. Did you ever work with Craig Street?

Chris.

ali_engineer
14-01-2008, 01:17 AM
The return trip to texas would be a bit expensive for work experience:D.

taz

PM me your CV + contact details asap

Hi
Sorry for delay. Could you please give me your email address?

I dont know how could I PM them!

Cheers!
Ali

ali_engineer
26-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Hi there

I wanna buy a very good and cheap book about refrigeration preferably DVD. Any ideas guys!
I am still student by the way!

nike123
26-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi there

I wanna buy a very good and cheap book about refrigeration preferably DVD. Any ideas guys!
I am still student by the way!
My recommendation is:
http://tinyurl.com/29q7v8
also this:
http://tinyurl.com/225424

Both are cheap and very good!

Latte
26-01-2008, 11:57 PM
www.techmethod.com

Regards

Fatboy