PDA

View Full Version : service vehicles

SOCOLD
22-12-2007, 06:05 PM
i currently drive a ford estate car as a mobile engineer. I have been told that it is no longer legal to carry refrigerants etc unless the vehicle has a bulkhead between the driver and the storage area and the vehicle should also be vented.I dont have a problem with that but does it have to be a van or can it be a pick up ?. what are other engineers driving and does anyone know the health and safety rules for carrying refrigerants.

The Viking
22-12-2007, 06:16 PM
I recently found out that this is a scam!

For there to be a LEGAL requirement to have the gas in a separate compartment, you need to carry something like 100+kg of refrigerant or 20+ Oxy/acetylene kits.
Below that it's only a recommendation...

But that's of course in England and no doubt someone will know the exact figures...

Karl Hofmann
22-12-2007, 09:14 PM
The carrying of hazardous goods is covered by ADR but it is quite surprising just how much stuff you can carry before you need to comply... but then it has been many years since I last held an ADR license. It is a good idea to have a bulk head or some type of protection in the event of an accident...Just think how much a bottle of refrigerant would hurt wrapped round the back of your head.

It's just a case of using your noodle

Brian_UK
22-12-2007, 11:00 PM
As Karl says, think about the strength of those little clips holding up the rear seat backrest.

One accident, front or rear, and those clips let go - 100kg of tools etc are now heading towards you :eek:

A few years back now I had one guy who lost his spleen because he got rear ended and all his kit came and got him, not nice.

It's your life, never mind the rules and regs.

LRAC
23-12-2007, 11:06 AM
I always have a bulkhead fitted theses days in a car or van, i got rear ended and some 1 1/8 copper pipe shattered by left knee as it went through the side of my seat and only stopped when it hit the steering column.

Off work for 6 months with no pay and the lorry that hit me had no insurance, that was 15 years ago now and the cold weather still causes problems.

Grizzly
23-12-2007, 03:20 PM
i currently drive a ford estate car as a mobile engineer. I have been told that it is no longer legal to carry refrigerants etc unless the vehicle has a bulkhead between the driver and the storage area and the vehicle should also be vented.I dont have a problem with that but does it have to be a van or can it be a pick up ?. what are other engineers driving and does anyone know the health and safety rules for carrying refrigerants.

SOCOLD... I to share your dilema, I consider myself lucky that I am allowed to have a Company Car (estate.) The bulk of our engineers have the same.
It is Company policy to have safety cages fitted behind the Rear Seats. Due to changing National Leaseing contracts. Some of us, myself included, have yet to have them fitted.
Basically our general perseption is... You should allways transport refrigerant cylinders in an upright position and in a well ventilated vehicle.
Our practical solution is we allways try and avoid carrying any refrigerant and arrange for it to be delivered to site. Not allways possible especially when you are on call. So when absolutely necessary we are willing to carry small dumpys only. (usually in the floorwell behind the front seats). The only large cylinder to be carried is an empty "recovery or receiver cylinder. ( laid down across the back seats with the seat belts wrapped around it) Even then these are becoming rarer events. As we manage to create refrigerant stores on our sites. And adopt better logistical planning and van useage.
I suspect this is a grey area where no-one wants to "cut their nose off to spite their face."
Above is an honest answer as to how we get around the problem, I hope it helps? And remeber your Trem cards and warning triangles! ( see trem cards and do you carry them in this forum)
Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

SOCOLD
23-12-2007, 10:27 PM
thanks for the replys everyone.the safety aspect is not up for question ,it was my company are keen to give me a service van but i was hopeing for a pick up.does it matter if the refridgerant etc is carried in the back? I dont think so but my employers have a problem with the pick up idea.I dont think its cost they said it would still not be legal.do any you guys have pick ups?.GRIZZLY are you switching to a van?

Grizzly
23-12-2007, 11:40 PM
thanks for the replys everyone.the safety aspect is not up for question ,it was my company are keen to give me a service van but i was hopeing for a pick up.does it matter if the refridgerant etc is carried in the back? I dont think so but my employers have a problem with the pick up idea.I dont think its cost they said it would still not be legal.do any you guys have pick ups?.GRIZZLY are you switching to a van?
No when that was last suggested I said " p££s o£ if you give me a van I will leave and go and work for one of the other companys that give us ( Industrial Enginners) a car. They don't give us a car because they love us, they give us a car because it is the industry standard". Oh! Was what I got back.
Pick up's are a sensible option and some of our engineers in more remote locations have been issued with 4x4's with Crew Cabs. They have to be Justified But the main criteria appears to be twofold... whether delivery is an option and how remote an area you serve?
As to wether a pick up is viable as stated before
"Store or Stowed Upright and in a well ventilated vehicle."
All the wholesalers deliver them on the back of a flatbed the size is irellivant.
You should be able to reach an amicable solution with your employer without hopefully giving up your car!
Grizzly. http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

SOCOLD
24-12-2007, 10:18 PM
going to have a meeting in the new year to discuss what type of transport the company would like me to have with the help of your replys it has given me some suggestions to come back with .will let you know of any results. thanks for all your help

willies boy
25-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Robbie,should have jumped when you had the chance,:confused:its all bollax they are spinning you ,we may have another big contract lining up ,if so you will be first on the list your end:)

SOCOLD
25-01-2008, 10:41 PM
just a quick update ,had a meeting with the boss said he could get me a brand new vauxhall combo [with some sweeteners!] . i did not ask what the sweeteners were as not interested but still asked for a pickup.he said he would get back to me by the end of the month.got the feeling his mind was made up ref the combo so looks like i"m in for some futher discussions.will keep you posted

The Viking
25-01-2008, 10:58 PM
So,

Ask him to check out the lease cost for a Ford Ranger.
They comes out at about the same as the city/combo.

Just be careful if he gives you a Ranger, they eat points!!

TOTTIHS
25-01-2008, 11:47 PM
So,

Ask him to check out the lease cost for a Ford Ranger.
They comes out at about the same as the city/combo.

Just be careful if he gives you a Ranger, they eat points!!

Points? you cant be serious what century is this

The Viking
26-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Totthis,

Since I moved to UK and got a UK driving licence, some 10 years ago, I've had sport cars, one of the most powerful motorcycles you can buy "off the shelf" and various vans.
Until I got the Ranger my licence were clean....
2 weeks with the Ranger and the B####rds caught me and gave me 3 points....:mad::mad::mad:

Grizzly
26-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Totthis,

Since I moved to UK and got a UK driving licence, some 10 years ago, I've had sport cars, one of the most powerful motorcycles you can buy "off the shelf" and various vans.
2 weeks with the Ranger and the B####rds caught me and gave me 3 points....:mad::mad::mad:
Jealous Policemen are not very forgiving.
Tip next time you are stopped. Pull on a few hairs in your nose and bring a few tears to your eyes.
Say sorry a few times for good measure and you may be let off!
Alternatively you may be yet another of "Gordon's"
Stealth Tax Victims in which case your stuffed!
Grizzly

The Viking
26-01-2008, 12:35 AM
About 2 years ago, I were stopped by two of Wiltshire's finest as I were cruising down the motorway at about 100 mph on my FJR. They were very nice gentlemen, one of them sat in the rear seat so that I could sit up front and watch the video of my fast'ish' ride. They kindly informed me about bikers they helped scrape of various roads, embankments and railings. Then they proceeded to rewind the tape even further to show me how I stuck to the 50 limit past the roadworks and how I had anticipated (and assisted) other road users. Afterwards they told me to keep up the good work but to slow down.

The B##ch that stopped me on the M3 six months ago (whilst in the Ranger) told me that it looked safe, that I had really good lane control and then proceeded to give me a ticket!!!

(OK, I did not call her by that name when I sat in the car and watched the video...)

Grizzly
26-01-2008, 01:03 AM
just a quick update ,had a meeting with the boss said he could get me a brand new vauxhall combo [with some sweeteners!] . i did not ask what the sweeteners were as not interested but still asked for a pickup.he said he would get back to me by the end of the month.got the feeling his mind was made up ref the combo so looks like i"m in for some futher discussions.will keep you posted

Seems like you may be talking to willies boy yet!
Many thanks for letting us know what's happening so far.
All to often people don't bother to finish the story and it's really annoying.
I hope you get what you want. Just remember one thing. The Tax you pay now is not reduced because you drive a van.
Grizzly

absolute-zero
28-01-2008, 04:36 PM
The last company I worked for, made me drive a new ford expediton full size SUV, how dare they:D

But seriously I did ask for a mini van with a bulkhead for safety, but they thought since itraveld alot and we have mean winters here i should have more meat around me, and 4 wheel drive.

I of course did not complain:D

I simply replied with, thanks for looking out for my best interest Boss.

Regards A-Z

TOTTIHS
31-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Totthis,

I have done my time running up & down those motorways myself but I held onto my original licence & when it was requested for points purposes (funny it was always in the company wagon never on the bike) it was duly returned (no points) the fine had to be paid but hey I guess the customer pays in the end & hopefully Mr Plod does his weekly shopping there :p
(were the brakes on the ranger ok or was it a very big hill ?)