PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to TK controller

LeoBrave
20-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi folks,

I am new here..
Does anyone know on how to extract data from TK MP3000 controller?

Thanks
Leo

Will
21-12-2007, 03:59 AM
1; Laptop.
2; Logman and Logview software.
3; 'Laptop to MP3000' data cord.

Will
21-12-2007, 04:14 AM
2; Or the Smartsponge software. (I believe it'll do the same thing as logman/logview)

Hardest part to get will be the datacord.

absolute-zero
21-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Will is correct you need logman pc or smartsponge to extract the data or flashload the MP 3000 controller, and logview software to view the data after you extract or download.

Reqiuires pc with windows OS 128 mg ram minimum, and download cable connecter.

regards A-Z

absolute-zero
21-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Almost forgot, if you are trying to download a maersk container, you may need a diifernt download cable specific to there units. This must be considerd when aquiring a download cable.

The maersk sealand download cable is specific to all maersk sealand units.

Also maersk sealand uses a generic logman/logview program that works on all makes and models of refrigeration conatiner units.

This elimanates them from having to use dataview for carrier and logman or smartsponge for tk, and daikin s/w for Daiken units and mitsuibishi and so on.

Speaking of carrier dataview, does anyone here have dataview for windows OS. not the DOS version?

Regards A-Z

LeoBrave
21-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi I have both the smartsponge and logman, but when I try it with a null modem cable..it does not seem to work. I believe it could be the cable issue.
Does anyone has the spec for the cable and socket? Looking at the controller and the PC, I believe the cable should have 2 female 9-pin end.
TK (male 9-pin) <--> ("female")----<cable>----( "female") <--> (male 9-pin) PC
But I may need the pin configuration in order to get it right?

thermo prince
21-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi LeoBrave, do you know JJ Foo, the TK Marine Container FSM for Asia Pacific. He's from Singapore too. Let me know by P.M. if you need his tel and email contact. I 'm sure he can set you right.
regards
T-P

absolute-zero
21-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I know of the cablle you speek of, you cannot use a standard 9 pin serial extension cord cable as the 9 pin port on the mp3000 as a port for data extraction. that port is usesed to test the controller via MP3000 tester,

I have tried this many times. I also went to radio shack and purchased a rs232 gender changer in efforts to make work. Cant be done, special built download cable is required for a power circuit along with RXD and TXD configuration that a standard serial cable is not configured for.

Did you have to remove an exsisting cable from that port on the MP3000 controller, to see if you could communicate with a standard serial cable with gender changer? IF so follow the cable, you will see on the out side of control box a download port, it will be iether a circular cannon connecter style or a circular duetch connecter style.

If there was no cables plugged in this slot, chances are the MP3000 is not equiped with datalogger, therefore there is no data to be extracted.

There are two easy ways to see if the mp 3000 is equiped with datalogger, open the control box and see if there is a nicad or lithium rectangular shaped battery mounted in the box. if there is no battery, that is an indication that unit is not equiped with datalogger.

the second indication will be with no power to unit via genset or grid power, press one of the four hard keys along the bottom of the keypad controller. If the display comes up with some datalogger information, then you do, but the customer never ordered the extra optional data extraction ports.

If you can check for these things i have mentioned, I can then help you move forward in finding
some cable retreival part numbers that may help.

Thanks A-Z

LeoBrave
21-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I am certain that the controller has a datalogger option based on the 2 checks that you provided.

BTW, do you mean that there is a separate port on the controller that is used to connect to the datalogger software via PC ? I am puzzled because as you mentioned that that port is used for the MP3000 tester.

absolute-zero
22-12-2007, 08:18 AM
I am certain that the controller has a datalogger option based on the 2 checks that you provided.

BTW, do you mean that there is a separate port on the controller that is used to connect to the datalogger software via PC ? I am puzzled because as you mentioned that that port is used for the MP3000 tester.

I apologize if i confused, That 9 pin port on the MP3000 controller, that i told you is for MP 3000 tester, remains true if you are hooking directly to that port with a 9 pin serial cable that comes with the MP 3000 tester, however when unit has data logger and data logger retrieval ports mounted on the outside of the control box, that retrieval harness will plug into that same 9 pin serial port, but the pin configuration will now be differnt for downloading or flash loading.

Long story short its all in how the connector is wired and configured, how it communicates to the datalogger in the mp 3000 through the 9 pin serial via pc and mp 3000 controller.

Did you find the retrieval connection i previously described circular canon, or duetch? If you do not see thes on the control box where the manual toggle on off switch or condensor fan switch, it will need one to download.

Regards A-Z

LeoBrave
22-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes, there is indeed a cable connected from the 9-pin serial on the controller to the other end a duetch socket. However, getting a duetch plug is not easy, therefore, I am exploring to see if I can fabricate one cable to replace the duetch end with a 9-pin serial socket so that I can connect to PC's com port. And to do that, I will need the cable specs and pin-config. Wonder if you can help.

BTW, I dun quite understand your last statement where you mentioned download - download what ..

Rgds
-Leo

Will
22-12-2007, 07:29 PM
If you can wait till monday, I can get that cable pin-config.

absolute-zero
22-12-2007, 08:31 PM
[quote=LeoBrave;87157]Yes, there is indeed a cable connected from the 9-pin serial on the controller to the other end a duetch socket. However, getting a duetch plug is not easy, therefore, I am exploring to see if I can fabricate one cable to replace the duetch end with a 9-pin serial socket so that I can connect to PC's com port. And to do that, I will need the cable specs and pin-config. Wonder if you can help.

BTW, I dun quite understand your last statement where you mentioned download - download what ..

Rgds

Download or retrieve the data from the mp3000 controller, download or retreive meaning the same thing.

Local tk dealer wont sell you a download cable part number 204-1023

LeoBrave
23-12-2007, 05:07 AM
Hi Will, I can wait. Thanks.
Of course, thanks to A-Z also.
I am really delighted to come across this forum which provided valuable, experienced, technical advice....Of course, I wait to contribute my fair share in times to come...

BTW, Happy Chrismas and New Year ..8)

Will
23-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Oops, forgot monday is Xmas eve.

I'll still be able to do it, but it'll be close to midnite my time.

Will
23-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Also maersk sealand uses a generic logman/logview program that works on all makes and models of refrigeration conatiner units.
You must be talking about this ?
http://www.yorkref.com/upload/downloads/Marine,%20TD,LogMan2.pdf

Will
23-12-2007, 06:10 PM
logview program that works on all makes
Interesting, while we do have a Logview program, as far as I know it's the version from Thermoking.
In fact the Thermoking version and the York Logman version 'look' identical. (ref link below)
http://www.yorkref.com/upload/downloads/Marine,%20TD,LogView2.pdf

LeoBrave
23-12-2007, 06:20 PM
ONLY using LogView program.
BTW, what is the difference between LogView and SmartSponge..when are they use in the right context?

Rgds Leo

Will
23-12-2007, 06:36 PM
I played a little with Smartsponge friday and as far as I can tell it's just a fancy launch pad for logman.

((I should also add, all my info here is Maersk specific.))

absolute-zero
23-12-2007, 11:21 PM
smart sponge s a proprietary to tk controller interface. Logman was produced for tk units by york climate control. They both do the same thing, jut work a little differntly.

I would suggest to use the logman s/w over the smart sponge with that said only install either the smartsponge or the logman on your pc. do not use both as it wil conflict with communication drivers.

logview s/w will then be used to read the download or retrieved data from the mp3000 controller with a little importing process.

logview s/w can be used witheither the smart sponge or or logman.

To come up with confiration of the comm harness you will need an engineering print of the cable and its wiring pin position, the wiring diagrams will not show the cable that is used as a retrieval tool. You can clearly see in schematic or wiring diagram that goes with the nspecific unit it wiring configuration but not the comm harness that intrerfaces to the unit via pc and retrieval cable.

Regards A-Z

Will
24-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Leo, is this a Maersk unit ?

Once I get the cable and trace the pin-out, you shouldn't have any problem making something that will work.

AZ, we have both programs (along with carrier, daikin and starcool programs) on our laptop at work and have not experienced any "conflict with communication drivers" issues you speak of.

LeoBrave
24-12-2007, 06:45 AM
This is not a Maersk Unit. (I thought Maersk is using StarCool).
I have tried using the wiring diagram that comes with the TK controller and tried to fabricate one cable according to it..but just do not work..I guess like A-Z said, it is the cable..

Will
25-12-2007, 01:05 AM
I believe I found your problem Leo.

Few weeks back while updating some TK software, I noticed the controller some how knew I just plugged the cable into it. It does this by going into "receiver" mode on the display. The other end of the cable wasn't even plugged into anything yet.

Back then I thought to myself that there had to be some sort of jumper or something going on.
Today I have proof that I'm not totally nuts.

Check out this pic, it's the butt end of the data cable that plugs into the unit.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/willphotoalbum/TK%20data%20cable/jumper.jpg

So, if we went with this 9 pin config in this next pic, your computer to controller cable would go.....

Controller----computer

1 ---- 1
3 ---- 3
4 ---- 4
The jumper on the controller plug is 1 ---- 6
(red X = jumper area)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/willphotoalbum/TK%20data%20cable/cable.jpg

absolute-zero
26-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Leo, is this a Maersk unit ?

Once I get the cable and trace the pin-out, you shouldn't have any problem making something that will work.

AZ, we have both programs (along with carrier, daikin and starcool programs) on our laptop at work and have not experienced any "conflict with communication drivers" issues you speak of.

Hi Will. You have never expierenced a problem running both smartsponge and logman pc? what was you pc or laptop systems OS. I found problems on windows xp.

None the less i still prefer to use logman pc over smartsponge.

I was never able to aquire carrier dataview for windows and starcool. I have everthing else and run it.

absolute-zero
26-12-2007, 02:58 AM
I believe I found your problem Leo.

Few weeks back while updating some TK software, I noticed the controller some how knew I just plugged the cable into it. It does this by going into "receiver" mode on the display. The other end of the cable wasn't even plugged into anything yet.

Back then I thought to myself that there had to be some sort of jumper or something going on.
Today I have proof that I'm not totally nuts.

Check out this pic, it's the butt end of the data cable that plugs into the unit.

http://www84.pair.com/waw/Mine/jumper.jpg

So, if we went with this 9 pin config in this next pic, your computer to controller cable would go.....

Controller----computer

1 ---- 1
3 ---- 3
4 ---- 4
The jumper on the controller plug is 1 ---- 6
(red X = jumper area)

http://www84.pair.com/waw/Mine/cable.jpg

Will, Very nice illustration of the pin arrangements and configurations, did you make that cable?

It does not look like anything I have ever used or seen before.

regards a-z

absolute-zero
26-12-2007, 03:02 AM
Will, Very nice illustration of the pin arrangements and configurations, did you make that cable?

It does not look like anything I have ever used or seen before.

regards a-z

Never mind, I see that cable is the communications cable for the MP3000.

I thought for second there is was an illustration of a retreival cable from pc to unit.

still very cool pics.:D

Will
26-12-2007, 03:45 AM
It's both cables. Kind of a quicky "from PC directly to MP3000 controller cable.

Now that I have the pin and jumper config I WILL be making up one for myself.
Been asking for a longer cable for a few months now, they can't seem to get me one. Forget them, I'll make my own.

The laptop is running XP.

LeoBrave
26-12-2007, 04:08 AM
Hi Will, Thanks for the advice. I would try it out.
But I could not figure out something based on your 1,3,4 pin configuration and what I know so far.

Firstly, attached image of what I have extracted out from the wiring diagram based on MP3000A controller. It describes pin P5-2,3,5 in used. Is there something that is missing ?

Secondly, based on my past engineering knowledge, it is really rare and hard to understand
how 1, 3, 4 could be used on the computer side for TX, GND and RX ?

Nevertheless, I will try out ..

Thanks - Leo

Will
26-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Correct, the pin config I gave has no resemblance to unit wiring and wasn't meant to.

That pin config would be used to make a cable that would go from the computers 9-pin-DB plug, straight to the 9-pin-DB plug on the controller inside the controller box.

Will
26-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Data/flashload cable.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/willphotoalbum/TK%20data%20cable/cable2.jpg

absolute-zero
26-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Will, once again, very nice job with producing a comm cable.

gravy258
27-12-2007, 12:49 AM
the download cable can be purchased from Carrier transicold part no. 22-01737-00 its about half the length of the TK cable but does the job OK. This is the RS232 to Deutsch connector type, as used on all TK units.

Will
27-12-2007, 06:34 AM
I didn't want to mention this till I double checked for sure, but this cable build is exactly like a MP3000 tester cable.((EDIT; "exactly" would be slightly incorrect, read below.))

gravy258, the darker gray cable in my above pics is a CTC cable.
Psssst, don't tell anyone. ;)

(I thought Maersk is using StarCool).
Maersk is manufacturing Starcool units.
Their fleet consists of about 10% Starcool, 10% Daikin, 40% Carrier and 40% Thermoking.

absolute-zero
27-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Please excuse if this question sounds ignorant, But it has been a couple years since I last serviced a MP2000 & MP3000,

Using the tester cable will allow you to download the data from the unit?

It seems to me I remember having a problem with either downloading the data or maybe it was flashloading the controller, with this cable.

Now that I think about it and remeber back, I am almost sure it was flashloading the controller, It seemed i had to comminicate with the controller via duetch or canon connecter, while pressing the F1 key to enter flash mode.

But could not flashload the controller using just the MP3000 tester cable, linked to PC directly to the controller 232 port.

It would seem the cable you have in the illustration, already has the connection that you made with he CTC cable.

But then the next illustration shows a 232 serial ports with modified pin arrangement.

This all leads to me ask, If you build a cable with the correct pin configuration on the RS232 port then add a gender changer to hook up to MP3000 controller, we shouldnt need a canon or duectch hook up.

Regards A-Z

Will
27-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work AZ.

I'm at work now, I'll grab a tester cable and go confirm.

Will
28-12-2007, 03:55 AM
OK, here's what I learned.

With a download cable like my wired diagram above, it will only let you download data and flash load the controller.

With a MP3000 tester cord, you can do all 3, download, flash load and run the tester.

Obviously my statement above about both cords being the same is false. Sorry.
They tested the same using my ohm meter, but I didn't go far enough and physically inspect the inside of the plug.

Today I took it apart and found more jumpers. :eek: Damn you TK.

This is hopefully my final wiring diagram and now that I have all the parts, I shall be making and testing my cable tomorrow as shown below.

(also found in this jumper 'group' was a lead to the plug casing, I don't think this matters and I won't be including it in my cable)

Data/flashload/tester cable
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/willphotoalbum/TK%20data%20cable/cable2b.jpg

Will
28-12-2007, 04:21 AM
AZ, is this what your calling a "canon connecter" ?

absolute-zero
28-12-2007, 07:18 AM
AZ, is this what your calling a "canon connecter" ?

yes, that is common on maersk sealand units, i have that comm cable as well courtesy of maersk.

absolute-zero
28-12-2007, 07:24 AM
OK, here's what I learned.

With a download cable like my wired diagram above, it will only let you download data and flash load the controller.

With a MP3000 tester cord, you can do all 3, download, flash load and run the tester.

Obviously my statement above about both cords being the same is false. Sorry.
They tested the same using my ohm meter, but I didn't go far enough and physically inspect the inside of the plug.

Today I took it apart and found more jumpers. :eek: Damn you TK.

This is hopefully my final wiring diagram and now that I have all the parts, I shall be making and testing my cable tomorrow as shown below.

(also found in this jumper 'group' was a lead to the plug casing, I don't think this matters and I won't be including it in my cable)
http://www84.pair.com/waw/Mine/cable2b.jpg

Nice!!!!!! :D;):D

Will
29-12-2007, 03:50 AM
It works.

I now have a 10' MP3000 tester cable. :rolleyes:

absolute-zero
30-12-2007, 11:43 PM
And many others will have one now as well.:cool:

Thanks Will :D

Will
31-12-2007, 12:58 AM
And if your not into soldering tiny things, buy one of these premade cables and then just cut and resplice per pin config.
Can't get any simpler than that. :)

http://www.melabs.com/images/9PINCABLE.jpg

absolute-zero
31-12-2007, 02:54 PM
And if your not into soldering tiny things, buy one of these premade cables and then just cut and resplice per pin config.
Can't get any simpler than that. :)

http://www.melabs.com/images/9PINCABLE.jpg

You can also go to the website below, and get the DB9 connecter, cut the end off the cable above and replace with new end and configure the pins. With this cable DB9 end you wont need to get an additional gender changer.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5fid=107&sku=02947

I think we should make these and patent them, for aftermarket.:D

Will
31-12-2007, 05:26 PM
OK, ya lost me. Why would you need a gender changer ?

absolute-zero
02-01-2008, 07:47 PM
OK, ya lost me. Why would you need a gender changer ?

How else would you get direct connection via standard DB9 serial from pc to DBP serial connecter at MP 3000 controller.

If you went to a computer or an electronics parts store to buy a serial cable it would be male at one end and female at the other. (extension cord)

The DBP leaving the PC is a female and will accept male.

The Mp3000 is also female and will only accept male.

Gender changer will allow it to hook up at both ends.

Did you just modify a MP3000 tester cable, or did you purchase a cable at a store and make the necessary wire configs?
\
Regards A-Z

Will
03-01-2008, 05:51 AM
The DB9 (RS232) connectors on both pieces (computer and controller) are male.

(just like this lower blue one)
http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/1033/windowsxp/images/using/setup/hwprograms/67411-serial-parallel.jpg

If you modified a pre-made cord, you would want one with females at both ends.
(they're hanging right next to the ones your thinking of)

I made mine out of 2 of these connectors and 10' of 3-conductor 24AWG intercom wire.

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2266453t98.jpghttp://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2265187t98.jpg

absolute-zero
03-01-2008, 07:07 AM
The DB9 (RS232) connectors on both pieces (computer and controller) are male.

(just like this lower blue one)
http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/1033/windowsxp/images/using/setup/hwprograms/67411-serial-parallel.jpg

If you modified a pre-made cord, you would want one with females at both ends.
(they're hanging right next to the ones your thinking of)

I made mine out of 2 of these connectors and 10' of 3-conductor 24AWG intercom wire.

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2266453t98.jpghttp://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2265187t98.jpg

I guess you wouldnt need a gender changer, if you had both ends already purchased, and the necessary cable. I was assuming you were building off from a standard serial DB9 Com cable purchased at electronics store.

I did say female, i stand corrected, but you know what i mean.

A-Z

absolute-zero
03-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Any of you guys have a current copy of carrier dataline for windows OS?

Thanks

LeoBrave
03-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I tried fabricating according to the pin-specs and connect it between the controller and PC (running Logman). But the moment I did so, it send the controller into test mode.
I would like to ask if LogMan can be used for retrieving data with this cable and BTW what controller are you using MPC--2000, MP3000 or MP3000A ?

-Leo

Will
04-01-2008, 03:19 AM
For data transfer, you MUST have power to the unit and it MUST be switched on BEFORE plugging in the data cable.

This is the screen you will see once the correct connection is made with the cable.

Will
04-01-2008, 03:30 AM
What's the newest Dataline version ?

I've got 1.6.0

absolute-zero
04-01-2008, 07:32 AM
I am not sure what the latest version is.

Do you have the abillity to share the dataline S/W

Will
05-01-2008, 02:32 AM
I'll see what I can do.

Will
08-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Wonder how Leo did on his download. :confused:

absolute-zero
08-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Wonder how Leo did on his download. :confused:

Yeah i wonder too, I hope he made out ok with it.;)

this was a good thread with a lot of technical engineering info, hate toi see it go it to waste:rolleyes:

A-Z

LeoBrave
11-01-2008, 05:10 AM
Correct, the pin config I gave has no resemblance to unit wiring and wasn't meant to.

That pin config would be used to make a cable that would go from the computers 9-pin-DB plug, straight to the 9-pin-DB plug on the controller inside the controller box.

Fabricated the cable according to the pin-config, one end to PC, the other end to controller. Result => the smartsponge program failed to connect.
Does this cable work with this program or MP3000 tester?

However, we are able to download the data via the deutsch plug cable?

Thanks
-Leo

LeoBrave
11-01-2008, 05:15 AM
I am not sure what the latest version is.

Do you have the abillity to share the dataline S/W

Is there any licensing agreement to use the S/W for Carrier? What about TK's logman and smartsponge?

-Leo

Will
11-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Leo, can you get the controller into "retrieving" mode ?

The screen should look like this.
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1956&d=1199416566

Will
12-01-2008, 02:59 AM
Or it could be your computer/laptop.

We have one older laptop that you can flashload with just fine, but won't download data at all.
(Say's its not connected.)

Funny though it's the only laptop that will update software on the Daikin's. Go figure.

boosty
10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey all,

Does anyone know where I can get Logman PC software?

I have the one from the Johnson Controls website, but it only supports the SG+ controller. (I'm working with the MP-3000)

Thanks!!

raz0672
19-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Can someone put a close photo of the face of MPC2000 controller. I've got a ref unit and the controller buttons aren't readable anymore. The sun heat has wiped out the prints so can't make out which button is which.

Will
19-11-2009, 05:00 PM
This should do.

raz0672
20-11-2009, 04:55 AM
This should do.
Thanks Will. that was real quick. Had been looking for one over a week without success until I joined the forum. Great!

transcold
02-12-2009, 07:57 AM
I could E-mail to you.
Give me your e-mail address.

Transformer2001
31-01-2010, 02:38 AM
the unit on my trailer is not starting. i was only parked for one month

m_heckert
27-12-2010, 07:33 PM
PC MP3000
db9 -----------------------------db9
2-------------------------------------2
3-------------------------------------3
5-------------------------------------5
Jump 4-6 Jump 5-9
jump 7-8

m_heckert
27-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Jump 5-9 in the side of mp3000 db9

terminal
12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Good day.
Iam new her .i am refeer tech in terminal.
Plz i want ask about one probleme
i have smart spong and dataline carrier and i want to know if they will working with windowz xp tkt.
Bestb regard

Will
28-03-2011, 04:59 PM
i have smart spong and dataline carrier and i want to know if they will working with windowz xp

Yes.........

terminal
04-09-2011, 10:59 AM
good day will,
thans for your help.
plz if you can send me soft war for daikin.
best regard
troytroy@live.fr

Will
04-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Sorry, no soft war.

You having problems ?

chillerman2006
08-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Off topic - needed removing

frigoexpres
14-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi.
Can some one give me TK SmartSponge Software and User manual for Thermo King SmartSponge Software.pdf ?
Thx.

frigoexpres
14-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Sry for double post, i can't find edit...
mail: joker_emi@yahoo.com