PDA

View Full Version : Difference

Abe
27-03-2003, 07:07 PM
York/Bristol Hermetique 3 phase compressor series ACU
Could someone care to advise what the difference is between a standard recriprocating compressor and an inertia type

Argus
28-03-2003, 10:41 AM
...Not sure what you mean by 'inertia type', Aiyub.
It's not a term I'm familiar with.

Argus
________
vapir air one vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

herefishy
28-03-2003, 07:27 PM
What's the difference between a Duck?

I'm lost, too.

Abe
28-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Ive got a York Bristol 4hp hermetique condensing unit
Its an ACU series. On the nameplate it says it is an "inertia" type
York manufacturers 3 types

Standard recriprocating
Inertia
Scroll

I am intrigued what the difference is. I know a scroll, but inertia??
I am confused as anyone else
Probably a call to York technical is required

Dan
28-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Checking Bristol's AE bulletins, the inertia reciprocating compressor has redesigned suction and discharge valves for improved liquid tolerance. They only require a suction accumulator for larger heat pump systems. They are discontinuing the line in favor of scroll compressors.

Abe
29-03-2003, 10:12 AM
Thanks Dan

Dan
29-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Good point Marc. Most ducks have a reciprocating sort of waddle. I think the inertia of waddling is what inspired the Bristol engineering team.

Herefishy inspires great thinking. No. Wait. Another manufacturer has a license on the "Inspire" compressor. That one really is a scroll.

I believe the conception of a quark was derived from a misquoted duck pondering his difference.

herefishy
30-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Well, Marc..

Actually the difference between a duck, is both feet are both the same !!! ;)

Meanwhile, since you are likely observing this post..... I am still questioning your response regarding oil return. You state that the suction line should be sloped downhill from the compressor. I am very miffed by this suggestion, and furthermore can find no other mfgr related direction, other than to slope the suction line downhill from the direction of refrigerant flow (to the compressor).

If you would be so kind, as to further elaborate on your previous statement ...

We didnt bother too much about oil traps , perhaps I should have. Using R413b refrigerant, or Iceon 49. I think this gas carries oil fairly well.

An extract from a "Trane Tech Tips" document...

Traps: What are all the purposes of a trap? In other words, what actually happens inside the piping to cause manufacturers to require traps at the base of vapor risers, and at periodic intervals in long vertical risers?

Historically, it was believed that suction riser traps caused enough turbulence in the base of the riser that the oil droplets, which is circulated with the refrigerant and accumulates in the trap, is broken up into a mist which can be carried up to the top of the riser. Today, we understand that oil is moved in a tube by the force of mass flux density. With this understanding, it is possible to size a line, without a trap, which will carry the oil during minimum loads. The storage capability of the trap is unnecessary if the suction line is slightly sloped away from the compressor.
Bottom line, if a suction riser is properly sized, oil will return to the compressor regardless of whether a trap is present. If a suction riser is oversized, adding a trap will not restore proper oil movement.

http://fridgetech.com

Dan
30-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Herefishy, tell me it ain't so! If the feet are the same, and there is no left and right, what truly is the difference between a duck?

Dan
30-03-2003, 08:52 PM
What is reality really like?
Reality could be a metaphor, but I think it is more like a simile.

Are kind people generous?

I suppose so, in a selfishly altruistic manner.

How does one catch a Dragon?

The surest way is to let the dragon devour you.

Oh, boy. I blame this digression on you, Herefishy.:)

herefishy
31-03-2003, 12:43 AM
both feet are both the same !!!

I'm sorry, the answer actually is.... ONE foot is both the same !!!!

Dan
03-04-2003, 03:34 AM
LOL, Herefishy and Marc! Good way to leave an otherwise practical and informative thread..... hmmm.

Unless we wish to talk about oil return in suction lines and what risers do, and what a P-trap accomplishes........ nah.... there are other places for that aren't there?:)