PDA

View Full Version : A controller for boat refrigeration

j30sailor
15-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I just joined today.

I'm looking for a controller for my boat refrigeration. I have an Adler Barber cold plate with a Danfoss compressor. The existing mechanical thermostat does not have a good temperature adjustment and no hysteresis adjustment.

I started looking at the Carel 33 12V controller but could not find out how much current it draws. I'm on a sail boat and have to run the engine to charge the batteries and so I have power usage concerns.

Is the controller current draw relatively low with & without a relay picked? My refrigeration draws 6 amps for about 6-8 hours a day. Or should I look for a different mechanical thermostat? I like the electronic type so I could read out the temperature and have an alarm when the frig/freezer temperature is too high.

What brand of thermostat/controller (mechanical or electronic) would you suggest?

Giannis
16-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Please check dixell controllers and if cant find one ask me .

Chris Burton
20-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Look on carel website for info, it will not be any more than 50va

Mayball
10-01-2008, 03:30 AM
I guess you know the thermostat circuit on the Adler-Barbour (Danfoss BD series compressor) provides no DC power to the thermostat, so you need a separate DC power source. Otherwise the Carel thermostat would work.

nike123
10-01-2008, 11:07 AM
You should consider Elliwell EWPC 961. It is low consumption (less than 3Watt) electronic thermostat ideal for that purpose and it is 12V AC or DC.
http://tinyurl.com/2tvzro