PDA

View Full Version : U.K Domestic Installs and Part P

Grizzly
15-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Advise Please.
I have just read the folowing on an I.O.R. Paper.

• 6. There are two types of self-certification scheme: 'full competence'
schemes aimed at full-time electricians, and 'defined competence' schemes
aimed at installers who do a bit of electrical work as part of another main
activity (eg kitchen fitters, central heating installers - and perhaps
refrigeration engineers).
• Five full competence schemes have been approved, operated by BSI, BRE
Can any of our trainers shed some light.
Can I register for a defined compitence scheme and if so where can these be attained.
Have many of our A/C. Guys gone down this route?
Grizzly.

eggs
16-12-2007, 01:41 AM
If you want to register for part scope/competance ie, just running the mains to the outdoor unit, you can join the NICEIC,Corgi or Nappit domestic installer schemes.
If however you want to get full scope/competance only Elecsa will allow you to do full house rewires on a weekend an sign it off yourself.

Does this help?

Eggs

fridge doctor
19-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Ahhh Nanny Britain :rolleyes:. ..... Goverment legislation, industry interference, political correctness, beauracracy, always first in line to implement euro legislation, and first in line to implement montreal protocol... Britain, where the real money now is in setting up training schemes to educate those who already know :(, designed and implemented by shyster's and uni grad's who have never been in the 'field' and seen the real world.... Never been happier since I left there :D

electronicsuk
13-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Ahhh Nanny Britain :rolleyes:. ..... Goverment legislation, industry interference, political correctness, beauracracy, always first in line to implement euro legislation, and first in line to implement montreal protocol... Britain, where the real money now is in setting up training schemes to educate those who already know :(, designed and implemented by shyster's and uni grad's who have never been in the 'field' and seen the real world.... Never been happier since I left there :D

While I don't necessarily agree with the way the government have gone about part P of the building regs, it's important to understand that testing and inspection is not a new thing.

If you were installing electrical feeds to refrigeration equipment on domestic premises before part P then you should still have been testing and recording continuity, insulation resistance, r1+r2 and earth loop impedance. The only thing that's really changed here is that you now require a bit of paper to allow you to do this work, but there has always been some level of 'competence' required.

If you look at it from another direction, those engineers who are not on a part P self-certification scheme will (or should be) bringing in qualified electricians to complete all electrical work. This will be at extra cost to the engineer and thus extra cost to the customer, while being able to complete the work yourself would give a competitive edge over others in the industry.

Just my 2p worth.

Karl Hofmann
13-01-2008, 01:25 PM

Got it in one!!

The proper sparks were doing the job correctly anyway and the house holders were going for the cheap cowboys because the only thing that they were interested in was the price... And they still continue to do this Part P has done nothing other that to push up overheads for the decent electricians

paul_h
13-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Nanny Britain?
Try australia, you aren't allowed to wire mains here without completeing a full electrical apprenticeship. Even then you stilll have to work under someone else or do the contractors licence yourself.
A/C installs here are impossible to do if you're a refrig engineer, you need to pay for a sparky to wire up to the mains, and because they're in such high demand, bang, they charge so much there go your profits.
Alternatively if you're a sparky, you do a short course and pay $200, then you're a qualified a/c installer, running around all over the place throwing up splits without even knowing how to do a proper flare.

You guys in the UK have got it good, I however have to run around after these useless guys opening up the service valves they forgot about, redoing their flares, and supporting bad installs because installers don't have to fix anything under warranty here.
And to reflect on their electrical skills, a lot have undersized wiring, a lot have no c/b, a lot have no isolator, the ones that do have often are undersized or not waterproof, so their electrical side sucks too.
It's a shame since I know what to fit to an a/c more than the average sparkie, but I can't touch that side without doing a whole new apprenticship and then getting the contractors licence.