PDA

View Full Version : Powered by toshiba

WCC73
14-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Got called today to look at a heat pump wall mount not working.Customer said it was a toshiba.

It was badged as "Powered by Toshiba".
Certainly didnt look like a tosh to me.It was also badged on the label as being R410a, but had standard gauge fittings and was on R407c.
Have a look at the site( www.airconditioning (http://www.airconditioning) centre.co.uk).Is there any regs regarding the importation of 407c units?

I know this is going over old ground , but when is somebody going to put a stop to these diy units.
Oh and by the way, unit had lost all refrigerant.Flare must have been tightened by hand it was that loose

refaircon
14-12-2007, 03:02 PM
was it in a comms room by any chance
i had to reluctantly re pipe a 3 week old system installed by the people who had re done the cabinets in a comms room
3 metres of pipe 3 kinks, no gas and flares hand tight also no outdoor isolator. same again 410 with 22/407c gauge connections.
gives our trade a bad name
got piccies also

WCC73
14-12-2007, 06:37 PM
No it was in a shop.
The actual install was pretty good and was insatlled 3 months ago.
I said to the lady that runs the shop that surely the job was still under warranty and explained that we give a 3yr parts and 1 year warranty.She said that the builder who carried out the install was nowhere to be seen.
This unit was in a shop with multidecks, copiers etc and was 7mx5m.I explained to her that the likelyhood of the unit being able to cope with the heatload of a summer was very remote.

So glad i spent all that money on my engineers college fees/ safe handling, when any old tom **** or builder chucks these units in

Andy AC
15-12-2007, 12:15 AM
I had to go and look at one of these units the other day, installed by a window fitter:(. The new conservatory he fitted was pants so you can probably imagine what the a/c install was like:eek: As far as I could tell, the condenser was positioned first, which determined the position of the indoor unit (4m pre-flared pipes), so unit was miles off center, on an absolutely hideous mdf boxing which was to hide the pipework. I should of taken pictures, words can't really describe how bad this was, homeowner thought it was great though:eek: He seemed very proud of himself because he had only spent 400 quid on the internet getting an air conditioner for his brand new conservatory, didn't really care how how the install looked.
The window fitter actually took someones advise and got us in to pressure test, vac and commission the system. Pressurized the system, guess what? big leak. I took some of the lousy boxing off to get at the flares which were not insulated, or tight, tightened them up, flexi drain tube running uphill:(, not just a little bit either. At this point the window fitter turns up, and after showing him the error of his ways, telling him to stick with windows, etc. I watch him rip the drain out of the wall/boxing and then
spend the next couple of hours watching him tear the conservatory apart, re-routing it straight down through the floor of the conservatory into the storage space below the floor (no drains down there):confused: For some reason the home owner thinks this is genius. all he had to do was lift the indoor unit a couple of inches.
It was comical to watch but it is frightening that this sort of thing is still happening.
Again this one of those "powered by toshiba" things with R410a in but with standard 1/4 hose connection. It actually worked quite well in the end but the condenser was outrageously noisy, facing the neighbors property just above the fence, thats gonna be popular;)

Andy

Jay1553
18-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Many Chinese manufacturers are sending these units to the UK now for OEM.Fitting them with Toshiba,Sanyo and Mitsubishi compressors as its cheaper to buy them from competitors than build their own.Dont be fooled by stickers saying Powered by .......... as these major manufacturers have no input into the design of the units.