PDA

View Full Version : f gas (what constitutes hermetically sealed)

TRASH101
11-12-2007, 12:15 PM
greetings to you all,

does the 6 Kg rule apply to hermetically sealed compressor applications. I cant find clarification within the ec reg 842 document

cheers

taz24
11-12-2007, 12:49 PM
greetings to you all,

does the 6 Kg rule apply to hermetically sealed compressor applications. I cant find clarification within the ec reg 842 document

cheers

No access valves.
The engineer should not be able to access the system.

taz

TRASH101
11-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Thaks taz

as always you are a gentleman and a scholar;)

taz24
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Thaks taz

as always you are a gentleman and a scholar;)

Your Welcome.

I have just looked at the ACRIB data sheet on the subject and it states.

Leak checking varies depending on the amount of refrigerant in the system,

At least anually for applications with 3kg or more and then goes onto say unless the equipment is hermetically sealed, in which case it is up to 6kg.

By my understanding if the system is hermeticaly sealed and has less 5.9kg of F-gases in then the system does not require leak testing.

taz.

TRASH101
11-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks taz

Has there been any decision made on the base qualification needed to conform to f gas (been on the dti and cant find anything definative.)

p.s. Is it you who runs/ teaches the HND/C course ?

Argus
11-12-2007, 02:18 PM

You will need to read the actual Regulation. There is a definition - not a very good one, but a definition, nonetheless.

It's Paragraph 11 in Article 2, and it says:

“hermetically sealed system’ means a system in which all refrigerant containing parts are made tight by welding, brazing or a similar permanent connection which may include capped valves and capped service ports that allow proper repair or disposal and which have a tested leakage rate of less than 3 grams per year under a pressure of at least a quarter of the maximum allowable pressure”;

So you can have a service port, but no other mechanical joints.

But what it fails to say (and I think it was intended, but was omitted by the drafters), is that a hermetic unit it must be a factory made one-piece assembly. By this definition in the regulation, any system including those assembled at site would qualify as a hermetic unit provided it is all brazed and contains a service port in line with the one described above.

What also has to happen is that all new products must be labelled with details the refrigerant they contain, and a new system that is classed as ‘hermetic’ must be labelled as such by the manufacturer.

TRASH101
11-12-2007, 02:31 PM
good show argus:D

I have only got the supplementary guidance doc. dated Feb. 2007.

I wonder when they are going notify all potential operators and contractors:confused:

Argus
11-12-2007, 02:44 PM
good show argus:D

I have only got the supplementary guidance doc. dated Feb. 2007.

I wonder when they are going notify all potential operators and contractors:confused:

There won’t be any notifications. The regulation is out and that’s that.

You can read the full text here:
http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file30123.pdf

There’s a separate Directive for cars (MACs) if you get involved in these:
http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file30123.pdf

Certain tasks such a leakage checking, competence and labelling require further legislation, but this should have been out by now, but it’s delayed.

New, separate regulations on Leakage Checking etc as in Article 3 and Labelling as in Article 7 are about to be published and will go into immediate effect after the usual 20 days. I expect to see these in the early new year.

A Regulation on the minimum requirements for technicians’ qualifications and mutual recognition in other EU states is in draft form - it's still in the legal process in Brussels.

taz24
11-12-2007, 03:05 PM
So you can have a service port, but no other mechanical joints.

Thanks Argus.

I knew it was somthing like that.

taz.

TRASH101
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks once again argus (or should I say oracle):D

general nice guy doesn`t say the half of it.

Argus
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM

No problem.

Keeping an eye on all this stuff that comes out of Brussels is what I do for a living....

taz24
11-12-2007, 05:23 PM

No problem.

Keeping an eye on all this stuff that comes out of Brussels is what I do for a living....

Somone has to do it:D..

taz

rac
12-12-2007, 03:25 PM
The final adopted positions on labelling, leak checking and reporting are already up on the BERR F gas(previously DTI) website. They are finalised. This system wont let me post a link but they can be found by following links from dti.gov.uk innovation sustainability fgases...

The Commission is meeting on 17th december to decide on the training and certification.