PDA

View Full Version : The use of CO2 in the Industry

CJG21
07-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Hello everyone,

Im a 2nd year apprentice in Northern Ireland and have heard that although CO2 is used, it is not prevelant in the UK. However, I was told that Tesco have recently installed a Co2 plant in Shrewsbury and somewere in Scotland and it would seem that they will be looking to use it more and more in the future.

I know the basics about C02 systems;
1- its more beneficial to the environment
2- if used as a stand-alone refrigerant it has a massive head-pressure, though if used in a cascade system it isnt much higher than 410A
3- steel pipe must be used above 1-5/8
4- if there is a pressure drop to below 5.6 bar dry ice will form which is very hard to remove

etc...

I am looking to learn more about the use of C02 in the industry and was wondering if anyone could help me with literature about it, or other facts which I should be aware about which will help me when it does become more mainstream.

Thanks in advance everybody

taz24
08-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Hello everyone,

I am looking to learn more about the use of C02 in the industry and was wondering if anyone could help me with literature about it, or other facts which I should be aware about which will help me when it does become more mainstream.

I don't know about you learning more, it would seem that you know more about it than most already:)
I don't know about youasking for info, it would seem you should be shareing your knowledge:)

All the best taz.

750 Valve
08-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Do a search on this site, I have come across heaps of links to papers on co2, some good, some bad, some technical, some in laymans terms. Try looking in the industrial section, there's a section for co2 there.
Bearing in mind that some companies don't like to give up too much info right now about HOW they do it - it gives them a competitive edge on a growing sector that looks to have growing demand.

For supermarkets we use copper pipe to 7/8", steel above that. We relieve pressure at 40 bar hi side on a cascade system, (subcritical) and 25 bar on the low side (comp manufacturer - bitzer limits it to this at the moment) and we also have a few tricks up our sleeve in relation to relieving Co2 ;)

Transcritical is being trialled at the moment so not too much to say there except in my opinion it will be a while before you see too many installed in major supermarket chains, subcritical is a very viable option and is taking off over here.

Samarjit Sen
08-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Hello Colin,

A number of us are interested in knowing more about CO2. Unfortunately as taz24 says there are very few information available. You appear to have some knowledge about CO2, and it would be nice if you could kindly share with us all.

There are some threads on CO2 in this forum. For your information there is a forum for CO2 known as co2refrigeration.com . I hope I got the name right.

Samarjit Sen
08-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Colin, I was wrong, the name of the forum is www.co2refrigeration.org (http://www.co2refrigeration.org)

Josip
08-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi, Colin Gray :)

Hello everyone,

Im a 2nd year apprentice in Northern Ireland and have heard that although CO2 is used, it is not prevelant in the UK. However, I was told that Tesco have recently installed a Co2 plant in Shrewsbury and somewere in Scotland and it would seem that they will be looking to use it more and more in the future.

I know the basics about C02 systems;
1- its more beneficial to the environment
2- if used as a stand-alone refrigerant it has a massive head-pressure, though if used in a cascade system it isnt much higher than 410A
3- steel pipe must be used above 1-5/8
4- if there is a pressure drop to below 5.6 bar dry ice will form which is very hard to remove

etc...

I do not know what happen with my post, but I replay the first to you and it was here but today disappear:eek:, now I will try to repeat it:

Like other said: try to search forums for CO2 and NH3 and you should find some info and links to CO2 sites and there you will find some more...

All that business is still undercover, not exact, but firms are not coming out with tips&tricks;)....fortunately you are young enough to learn all about and help us later on....

Also, do not forget each medal has two sides/faces;)

Best regards, Josip :)