PDA

View Full Version : Simple question

electronicsuk
17-03-2003, 08:34 PM
I am attampting to create my own air conditioning unit from an old fridge. I live in the UK and I would like to know if it is legal to re-gas a fridge that has been taken apart. If so, can anyone tell me how much it is likely to cost?

Many thanks,
Matthew

Brian_UK
17-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Matthew, you should know that here in the UK we can do almost anything we like with the environment, until you get caught :D

You can regas the fridge if you want or better still get someone with the correct equipment/gas to do it for you.

Remember that the unsocial part is removing the gas from the system before you start, you should NOT vent this to atmosphere as it is illegal and bad for all of us.

If you are using old parts (or re-using) make sure that you keep everything dry and airtight when in storage to prevent damage.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

electronicsuk
18-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks Brian. I'll get it discharged properly, but before I start constructing the project I'll need to make sure it wont cost too much for getting the fridge discharged/recharged. Otherwise, I may as well go out and buy an air conditioner.

On a further note, would there be any way to take the radiator away from the compressor with some longer flexible coolant lines WITHOUT having to discharge the fridge at all? I doubt it's possible but it's worth asking.

Thanks again for bearing with me,
Matthew

FreezerGeezer
18-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Good morning Matthew.

I'm afraid you can't get away without reclaiming the refrigerant.
And if you're extending the pipe work, then you'll be significantly altering the system parameters. Pressure drops will cause problems - pipe work needs to be properly sized to correct this.
Also, flexible pipe is not a good idea. It tends to have a relativley short life - I change my guage hoses at least once a year, for example. This means that you'll regularly be reclaiming refrigerant, replacing hoses, and recharging. It's a lot of hassle that you can easily avoid by using copper pipe.

Gary
18-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Aside from the legal ramifications, transforming a low temperature (freezer) system into a high temperature (A/C) system would be difficult enough for the professionals, and a nightmare for the novice.

Dave Goodings
18-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Go and buy a air-conditioner;)

frank
18-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Hi matthew

It would be interesting to hear how you intend to construct an air conditioner from an old fridge. What are your plans for getting the cold air into the room?

frank

electronicsuk
19-03-2003, 08:19 AM
To be honest it's more of an 'air cooler' than an air conditioner. Basically I was thinking of using two small radiators (perhaps from a small chest freezer), with one outdoors and one indoors, and then placing a fan behing them. I also thought about drawing fresh air into the room, but i'm not too sure on the best way to do it yet.

If it's too hard to do with refrigeration, I do have a backup plan. What I did think of was using two large thermoelectric/peltier modules. On the inside these would be sandwiched between some form of home built radiator and a large piece of metal. The large piece of metal would have copper pipes soldered onto it, with water flowing through them to carry the heat outside. This then flows through another radiator outdoors and the heat is disippated by a large fan. Of course these peltiers draw a HUGE amount of current and it would require a large transformer, not to mention the cost of the peltiers themselves. Needless to say, an old fridge or freezer would be much cheaper.

Best regards,
Matthew

Arkma
07-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Go Buy an Air Conditioner :cool:

Abe
07-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Im a copy cat,

" Go buy yourself an air conditioner"
This contraption will NEVER work

neil sailes
07-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi Mathew,
By the time you way up all your costs for pipe work, refrigerant, the equipment to pull the system down to a vacuum the reclaim disposal cost. You might as well go and buy yourself a second hand portable a/c unit.Because you could spend all that money and it just might not work..
Neil

frank
07-06-2004, 08:31 PM
The average domestic "fridge" is about 650W cooling duty and the average domestic room load is about 2500W. If you ever complete the task it will be drastically undersized and will not give any useful cooling. Saying that though, you will learn an awful lot about air conditioning - like how you have to apply the mathematics before you expend time and money :p

Best of luck with the project :)

frank

Arkma
07-06-2004, 08:33 PM
why reinvent the wheel...can a VW beetle act as a milk truck if I reduct the a/c? I've said enough.

Peter_1
07-06-2004, 10:16 PM
It will never work for the reasons Frank gave you

Charnwood
07-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Perhaps some of the critisism could be a little more constructive in places. Matthew, I think you can tell from the bulk of the posts that this is not going to work. I admire your efforts to save a few bob, but I reckon you should give this idea a miss!

electronicsuk
08-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Wow, I didn't even realise this topic was still alive. Anyway, don't worry about the criticism, but also remember that the intention of the project was never to create a true replacement for a proper air conditioner, more as an experiment to see how well it would work.

However, in the end I took the advice given on this forum and gave the idea a miss, so I would like to thank everyone that pointed me in the right direction. I still like the idea of using TEC's/peltiers, but it would be stupidly inefficient and expensive, so I'll have to give that one a miss as well.

Regards,

Matthew

Simple
17-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Hi all

Does anyone know someone who wants to buy an air conditioner? ;)

frank
18-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know someone who wants to buy an air conditioner?

Air Conditioner? How do they work then?

Coolie
03-11-2004, 06:25 PM
GO BUY AN AIRCONDITIONER

coolkev
05-11-2004, 07:02 AM
you have got to be kidding fist it is not designed to operate at the temps req second wat area are u cooling ur toilet as it would not have capacity to do any more third if u intend to use fresh air it wont even do ur dunny. If u live in the UK it never gets hot enough to need a/c im in australia and dont have it in my home and my car is pommy and is 1 off the only vehicles that A/C's are an option. Suggest u try a fan

TONY LONGTHORNE
05-11-2004, 07:12 AM
hi guy,s
Re the fridge converter, forget it, it,s more trouble than it,s worth, by the time you have finished getting the bit,s and pieces and your t+l you could have go out and bought two split a/c,s, installed them and have full warranty in place.
The penalty here in aussie for doing what you intend to do is a $10,000.00 fine if you are caught.
There is also the distint possibility it won,t work any way.
use the old fridge for a tool box.
regards tony longthorne.

willies boy
07-11-2004, 08:03 PM
:eek: God forbid you ever live near me with that device banging away!!!

dougdotcom
14-08-2008, 06:51 PM
bet you wish you never ever asked...

Akram Hamza
17-08-2008, 03:33 PM
GO BUY AN AIRCONDITIONER

Peter_1
17-08-2008, 03:59 PM
The penalty here in aussie for doing what you intend to do is a $10,000.00 fine if you are caught.

If he's doing it legally, he can do what he wants.
But it will not work anyhow

The MG Pony
17-08-2008, 10:37 PM
bet you wish you never ever asked...

4 year old thread revival! Congrates your a neckromonger!