PDA

View Full Version : fault prediction from just a few lines of text ..

2tone
06-12-2007, 05:21 PM
What follows in bold and quote is a brief description of a domestic fridges temperature regulation ..

I wonder if anyone would like to spot diagnose the likely problem here ..

"Not keeping food cold. When you turn temperture up it starts to freeze food in fridge."

My guess is that the thermostat is playing up . reasoning is
a, the compressor is working (fridge can get cold)
b, It does not seem to be related to a defrost timer issue (fault is regulated by thermostat adjustment)

My considered guess is that the contacts on the thermostat are corroded and it is switching from not cool at all at low settings to cold/freezing with nowhere in between ..

Do you think i have almost got it right ?

Brian_UK
06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Sounds reasonable to me.

chillin out
07-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Nope, I disagree.

"Not keeping food cold. When you turn temperature up it starts to freeze food in fridge."
They turn the temp up and it goes colder??
If they can make a mistake with this then I am guessing they made a mistake here as well...

"Not keeping food cold."
Translate this to "Not keeping food frozen"

So, I deduct its the freezer section that is not cold enough, so this makes them turn the stat colder and freeze the fridge section.

Evap iced up in the freezer section. or something like that.
Although I could be wrong, but that doesn't happen very often.

Chillin:):)

paul_h
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
If it's a frost free fridge there's going to be two controls. Even the basic ones have an electrical thermostat in the freezer, and a mechanical damper/thermostat in the fridge. you would need to know which control they are playing with and in which compartment is the food not cold/freezing.