View Full Version : What qualification for work in UK?

02-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Good afternoon Everyone
I was wondering which kind of certification I would need if I want to work in UK? I have a qualification in industrial and marine refrigeration (duration of the course 3 years) plus I have an Universal EPA certification, how I can use them in England and/r I will nerdd to do some test and/or trainings?

Cpt Kaos:confused:

The Viking
02-12-2007, 11:47 PM
At the moment the only thing you need is a refrigerant handling certificate.

If you are experienced then you are able to just sit a 1/2 day (OK, more like 1 hour) test to get this cert. It will cost you around 100 Euros.

04-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Thank You Viking
There is any way that I can do this test on-line?

04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Thank You Viking
There is any way that I can do this test on-line?

Refrigerant handling has to be done in person because half of it is a practical demonstration of ability.

Although there are no formal guidlines reguarding qualifications as yet companies do tend to like to see a level 2 as the minimum qualification.
Experience is a big plus point though.
No quals but experienced and you will get most jobs,
No experience but lots of quals will start you off, on the bottom rung of the ladder.

Soon though if the EU have there way a level 2 will be the minimum requirement for all, if you are working with refrigerants.

Your marine quals, are they British? if so they will be more than enough for you in the UK.

Cheers taz.

04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Hi Taz
All my qualification ,exept EPA , are italians....
Thank You for your time...

12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
The fact is that the Commission is meeting on 17th December to decide what the requirements will be to work in refrigerant handling for stationary equipment throughout Europe. Once this is decided the UK needs to set up top-up qualifications for those who already have an exisiting 2078/CITB. Both these organisations are working on these top up qualifications. IF you have an NVQ you should get an exemption from having to do all the top-up training but there is still likely to be some sort of a refresher required due to the nature of the Commission spec, and the requriment for the certificate to clearly state that this qualification complies with F Gas Regulations.
We expect to hear in January what the final decisions are, but they will probably allow some time for everyone to get their new top-up qualifications over the next few years, although even then, there is probably going to be a shortage of spaces at the colleges to get everyone through the new top up courses.